Blue/Green moving bar Startup splash screen

April 10, 2005 3:04:11 PM

I have to computers bought together ( same computer)

I've just noticed that when they both start,

One has a Green moving bar and the other has a Blue moving Bar

I did a search and the only answer I could find was

Green = Home XP
Blue = Pro XP

Both computers are XP Home

Does anyone have any ideas on this

Thanks

--
Remove the obvious if replying by mail
Anonymous

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:04:11 +0100, kezz wrote:

> I have to computers bought together ( same computer)
>
> I've just noticed that when they both start,
>
> One has a Green moving bar and the other has a Blue moving Bar
>
> I did a search and the only answer I could find was
>
> Green = Home XP
> Blue = Pro XP
>
> Both computers are XP Home
>

> Does anyone have any ideas on this
>
> Thanks

Original version of XP Home had a green bar.
SP2 changed the bar for all XP versions to blue.

It would appear that one computer is still running the original XP or
XP+SP1. The second computer has SP2 installed.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Just updated XP Home to SP2 last week.
My bar is still green.

>Original version of XP Home had a green bar.
>SP2 changed the bar for all XP versions to blue.
>
>It would appear that one computer is still running the
original XP or
>XP+SP1. The second computer has SP2 installed.
>
>--
>Sharon F
>MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 3:28:55 PM

Sharon

This is a tough one, eh.. I knew about the 'Professional' logo (and
presumably Home) disappearing after SP2, but am not sure about the
green/blue bar.. I would have suggested the same as you, though.. maybe a
real 'softie' could come forwards and clarify for us..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:04:11 +0100, kezz wrote:
>
>> I have to computers bought together ( same computer)
>>
>> I've just noticed that when they both start,
>>
>> One has a Green moving bar and the other has a Blue moving Bar
>>
>> I did a search and the only answer I could find was
>>
>> Green = Home XP
>> Blue = Pro XP
>>
>> Both computers are XP Home
>>

>> Does anyone have any ideas on this
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Original version of XP Home had a green bar.
> SP2 changed the bar for all XP versions to blue.
>
> It would appear that one computer is still running the original XP or
> XP+SP1. The second computer has SP2 installed.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 3:28:56 PM

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:28:55 -0400, Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:

> Sharon
>
> This is a tough one, eh.. I knew about the 'Professional' logo (and
> presumably Home) disappearing after SP2, but am not sure about the
> green/blue bar.. I would have suggested the same as you, though.. maybe a
> real 'softie' could come forwards and clarify for us..

I see what you mean. I knew about the logo but was pretty sure the progress
bar had changed too. Apparently not on some systems. Interesting conundrum.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Kezz

Click on My Computer, and then properties.. the XP version shows there..

SP2 removes the Professional and Home designation from the start-up logo for
sure, but as far as I am aware, the bar colour remains green for a version
that was Home, and blue for a version that was originally Professional..

In the meantime, I am asking users who have experience of both versions to
clarify.. for my part, I have only ever used Pro, and have not really taken
notice of what Home SP2 does at start-up..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"kezz" <NOSPAMdj_kezz@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have to computers bought together ( same computer)
>
> I've just noticed that when they both start,
>
> One has a Green moving bar and the other has a Blue moving Bar
>
> I did a search and the only answer I could find was
>
> Green = Home XP
> Blue = Pro XP
>
> Both computers are XP Home
>

> Does anyone have any ideas on this
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Remove the obvious if replying by mail

Anonymous
April 10, 2005 6:53:38 PM

It could be that on one you have SP2 installed but not installed on the
other as when SP2 is installed the splash screen is the same on both
versions.
Joan

kezz wrote:
> I have to computers bought together ( same computer)
>
> I've just noticed that when they both start,
>
> One has a Green moving bar and the other has a Blue moving Bar
>
> I did a search and the only answer I could find was
>
> Green = Home XP
> Blue = Pro XP
>
> Both computers are XP Home
>

> Does anyone have any ideas on this
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
April 10, 2005 10:16:59 PM

I have 2 computers (XP Home) and after insyalling SP2 the bar on both
computers went to blue

> Kezz
>
> Click on My Computer, and then properties.. the XP version shows there..
>
> SP2 removes the Professional and Home designation from the start-up logo
> for sure, but as far as I am aware, the bar colour remains green for a
> version that was Home, and blue for a version that was originally
> Professional..
>
> In the meantime, I am asking users who have experience of both versions to
> clarify.. for my part, I have only ever used Pro, and have not really
> taken notice of what Home SP2 does at start-up..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "kezz" <NOSPAMdj_kezz@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I have to computers bought together ( same computer)
>>
>> I've just noticed that when they both start,
>>
>> One has a Green moving bar and the other has a Blue moving Bar
>>
>> I did a search and the only answer I could find was
>>
>> Green = Home XP
>> Blue = Pro XP
>>
>> Both computers are XP Home
>>

>> Does anyone have any ideas on this
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> --
>> Remove the obvious if replying by mail

Anonymous
April 10, 2005 11:40:33 PM

David

That is exactly what should happen, which is the point that Sharon made..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"David Collins" <dav0421@swbell.net> wrote in message
>I have 2 computers (XP Home) and after insyalling SP2 the bar on both
>computers went to blue
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Kezz
>>
>> Click on My Computer, and then properties.. the XP version shows there..
>>
>> SP2 removes the Professional and Home designation from the start-up logo
>> for sure, but as far as I am aware, the bar colour remains green for a
>> version that was Home, and blue for a version that was originally
>> Professional..
>>
>> In the meantime, I am asking users who have experience of both versions
>> to clarify.. for my part, I have only ever used Pro, and have not really
>> taken notice of what Home SP2 does at start-up..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "kezz" <NOSPAMdj_kezz@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>I have to computers bought together ( same computer)
>>>
>>> I've just noticed that when they both start,
>>>
>>> One has a Green moving bar and the other has a Blue moving Bar
>>>
>>> I did a search and the only answer I could find was
>>>
>>> Green = Home XP
>>> Blue = Pro XP
>>>
>>> Both computers are XP Home
>>>

>>> Does anyone have any ideas on this
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>>> --
>>> Remove the obvious if replying by mail

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 12:32:25 AM

I was agreeing...there was another post that suggested green was Home and
blue was Pro

David

> David
>
> That is exactly what should happen, which is the point that Sharon made..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "David Collins" <dav0421@swbell.net> wrote in message
>>I have 2 computers (XP Home) and after insyalling SP2 the bar on both
>>computers went to blue
>>
>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> Kezz
>>>
>>> Click on My Computer, and then properties.. the XP version shows there..
>>>
>>> SP2 removes the Professional and Home designation from the start-up logo
>>> for sure, but as far as I am aware, the bar colour remains green for a
>>> version that was Home, and blue for a version that was originally
>>> Professional..
>>>
>>> In the meantime, I am asking users who have experience of both versions
>>> to clarify.. for my part, I have only ever used Pro, and have not really
>>> taken notice of what Home SP2 does at start-up..
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>>
>>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>>

>>> "kezz" <NOSPAMdj_kezz@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 2:36:17 AM

David

In original form, ie pre SP2, that is how they were..

--

>I was agreeing...there was another post that suggested green was Home and
>blue was Pro
>
> David
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> David
>>
>> That is exactly what should happen, which is the point that Sharon made..
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "David Collins" <dav0421@swbell.net> wrote in message
>>>I have 2 computers (XP Home) and after insyalling SP2 the bar on both
>>>computers went to blue
>>>
>>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 6:56:17 AM

Installed SP2 from Windows Update,
Home designation went away, green scrolling bar still green

Installed SP2 from CD on another computer,
Home designation went away, green scrolling bar now blue

Kev

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 10:26:49 AM

kezz wrote:
> I have to computers bought together ( same computer)
>
> I've just noticed that when they both start,
>
> One has a Green moving bar and the other has a Blue moving Bar
>
> I did a search and the only answer I could find was
>
> Green = Home XP
> Blue = Pro XP
>
> Both computers are XP Home
>

> Does anyone have any ideas on this
>
> Thanks

All I know is that I had xp home sp1 which had a green bar, I loaded sp2
and after that it was a blue bar...that's all I know about it
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 2:50:25 PM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 02:56:17 -0700, Kevin L wrote:

> Installed SP2 from Windows Update,
> Home designation went away, green scrolling bar still green
>
> Installed SP2 from CD on another computer,
> Home designation went away, green scrolling bar now blue
>
> Kev

Thanks, Kev. From what you've posted, it appears that the web install is
likely to not change the color. Thanks for the info.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Sounds like an SP2 installation failure
on the ones that are staying green.

The image is embedded in file Ntoskrnl.exe in the
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder.
Check and see if the file is updated after an SP2 install.
However, if it's not, you would receive an error such as:
"NTOSKRNL.EXE missing or corrupt"
"NTOSKRNL.EXE could not be loaded"

You can always manually change the color.
That is what I originally figured someone did on kezz's PC.
I made mine red on XP Pro.

It's more than just a splash/boot screen file though.
It's the core (kernel) of Windows XP.
Those of you who installed SP2 and still see green,
check to see if you really do have "Service Pack 2":
Right-click My Computer
Click Properties
The install probably failed and you never really updated.

Austin M. Horst
April 12, 2005 4:30:40 AM

Hi again

Just a note someone just said,

On my computers, one was upgraded to SP2 via web update.

The other was upgraded with the networking download.

I wonder if this is why some stay green and others go Blue?

Just a thought.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 4:30:41 AM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:30:40 +0100, kezz wrote:

> Hi again
>
> Just a note someone just said,
>
> On my computers, one was upgraded to SP2 via web update.
>
> The other was upgraded with the networking download.
>
> I wonder if this is why some stay green and others go Blue?
>
> Just a thought.

Kev, it wouldn't hurt to try reinstalling SP2 in case there was a problem
with the update -or- at least check your version of Windows (start> run and
type winver). The reason to do this is that you want to make sure SP2 is
installed.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User