Blue/Green moving bar Startup splash screen

I have to computers bought together ( same computer)

I've just noticed that when they both start,

One has a Green moving bar and the other has a Blue moving Bar

I did a search and the only answer I could find was

Green = Home XP
Blue = Pro XP

Both computers are XP Home

Does anyone have any ideas on this

Thanks

--
Remove the obvious if replying by mail
17 answers Last reply

    Someone just changed the bitmap that's embedded in ntoskrnl.exe.
    http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/xpbootlogo/

    Austin M. Horst

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:04:11 +0100, kezz wrote:

    > I have to computers bought together ( same computer)
    >
    > I've just noticed that when they both start,
    >
    > One has a Green moving bar and the other has a Blue moving Bar
    >
    > I did a search and the only answer I could find was
    >
    > Green = Home XP
    > Blue = Pro XP
    >
    > Both computers are XP Home
    >

    > Does anyone have any ideas on this
    >
    > Thanks

    Original version of XP Home had a green bar.
    SP2 changed the bar for all XP versions to blue.

    It would appear that one computer is still running the original XP or
    XP+SP1. The second computer has SP2 installed.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Just updated XP Home to SP2 last week.
    My bar is still green.

    >Original version of XP Home had a green bar.
    >SP2 changed the bar for all XP versions to blue.
    >
    >It would appear that one computer is still running the
    original XP or
    >XP+SP1. The second computer has SP2 installed.
    >
    >--
    >Sharon F
    >MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Sharon

    This is a tough one, eh.. I knew about the 'Professional' logo (and
    presumably Home) disappearing after SP2, but am not sure about the
    green/blue bar.. I would have suggested the same as you, though.. maybe a
    real 'softie' could come forwards and clarify for us..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:28:55 -0400, Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:

    > Sharon
    >
    > This is a tough one, eh.. I knew about the 'Professional' logo (and
    > presumably Home) disappearing after SP2, but am not sure about the
    > green/blue bar.. I would have suggested the same as you, though.. maybe a
    > real 'softie' could come forwards and clarify for us..

    I see what you mean. I knew about the logo but was pretty sure the progress
    bar had changed too. Apparently not on some systems. Interesting conundrum.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Kezz

    Click on My Computer, and then properties.. the XP version shows there..

    SP2 removes the Professional and Home designation from the start-up logo for
    sure, but as far as I am aware, the bar colour remains green for a version
    that was Home, and blue for a version that was originally Professional..

    In the meantime, I am asking users who have experience of both versions to
    clarify.. for my part, I have only ever used Pro, and have not really taken
    notice of what Home SP2 does at start-up..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "kezz" <NOSPAMdj_kezz@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I have to computers bought together ( same computer)
    >
    > I've just noticed that when they both start,
    >
    > One has a Green moving bar and the other has a Blue moving Bar
    >
    > I did a search and the only answer I could find was
    >
    > Green = Home XP
    > Blue = Pro XP
    >
    > Both computers are XP Home
    >

    > Does anyone have any ideas on this
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > --
    > Remove the obvious if replying by mail

    It could be that on one you have SP2 installed but not installed on the
    other as when SP2 is installed the splash screen is the same on both
    versions.
    Joan

    kezz wrote:
    > I have to computers bought together ( same computer)
    >
    > I've just noticed that when they both start,
    >
    > One has a Green moving bar and the other has a Blue moving Bar
    >
    > I did a search and the only answer I could find was
    >
    > Green = Home XP
    > Blue = Pro XP
    >
    > Both computers are XP Home
    >

    > Does anyone have any ideas on this
    >
    > Thanks

    I have 2 computers (XP Home) and after insyalling SP2 the bar on both
    computers went to blue

    > Kezz
    >
    > Click on My Computer, and then properties.. the XP version shows there..
    >
    > SP2 removes the Professional and Home designation from the start-up logo
    > for sure, but as far as I am aware, the bar colour remains green for a
    > version that was Home, and blue for a version that was originally
    > Professional..
    >
    > In the meantime, I am asking users who have experience of both versions to
    > clarify.. for my part, I have only ever used Pro, and have not really
    > taken notice of what Home SP2 does at start-up..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "kezz" <NOSPAMdj_kezz@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>I have to computers bought together ( same computer)
    >>
    >> I've just noticed that when they both start,
    >>
    >> One has a Green moving bar and the other has a Blue moving Bar
    >>
    >> I did a search and the only answer I could find was
    >>
    >> Green = Home XP
    >> Blue = Pro XP
    >>
    >> Both computers are XP Home
    >>

    >> Does anyone have any ideas on this
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >> --
    >> Remove the obvious if replying by mail

    David

    That is exactly what should happen, which is the point that Sharon made..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "David Collins" <dav0421@swbell.net> wrote in message
    >I have 2 computers (XP Home) and after insyalling SP2 the bar on both
    >computers went to blue
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Kezz
    >>
    >> Click on My Computer, and then properties.. the XP version shows there..
    >>
    >> SP2 removes the Professional and Home designation from the start-up logo
    >> for sure, but as far as I am aware, the bar colour remains green for a
    >> version that was Home, and blue for a version that was originally
    >> Professional..
    >>
    >> In the meantime, I am asking users who have experience of both versions
    >> to clarify.. for my part, I have only ever used Pro, and have not really
    >> taken notice of what Home SP2 does at start-up..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "kezz" <NOSPAMdj_kezz@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>>I have to computers bought together ( same computer)
    >>>
    >>> I've just noticed that when they both start,
    >>>
    >>> One has a Green moving bar and the other has a Blue moving Bar
    >>>
    >>> I did a search and the only answer I could find was
    >>>
    >>> Green = Home XP
    >>> Blue = Pro XP
    >>>
    >>> Both computers are XP Home
    >>>

    >>> Does anyone have any ideas on this
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Remove the obvious if replying by mail

    I was agreeing...there was another post that suggested green was Home and
    blue was Pro

    David

    > David
    >
    > That is exactly what should happen, which is the point that Sharon made..
    >

    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "David Collins" <dav0421@swbell.net> wrote in message
    >>I have 2 computers (XP Home) and after insyalling SP2 the bar on both
    >>computers went to blue
    >>
    >> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >>> Kezz
    >>>
    >>> Click on My Computer, and then properties.. the XP version shows there..
    >>>
    >>> SP2 removes the Professional and Home designation from the start-up logo
    >>> for sure, but as far as I am aware, the bar colour remains green for a
    >>> version that was Home, and blue for a version that was originally
    >>> Professional..
    >>>
    >>> In the meantime, I am asking users who have experience of both versions
    >>> to clarify.. for my part, I have only ever used Pro, and have not really
    >>> taken notice of what Home SP2 does at start-up..
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Mike Hall
    >>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>>
    >>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>>

    >>> "kezz" <NOSPAMdj_kezz@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

    David

    In original form, ie pre SP2, that is how they were..

    --

    >I was agreeing...there was another post that suggested green was Home and
    >blue was Pro
    >
    > David
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> David
    >>
    >> That is exactly what should happen, which is the point that Sharon made..
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "David Collins" <dav0421@swbell.net> wrote in message
    >>>I have 2 computers (XP Home) and after insyalling SP2 the bar on both
    >>>computers went to blue
    >>>
    >>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    Installed SP2 from Windows Update,
    Home designation went away, green scrolling bar still green

    Installed SP2 from CD on another computer,
    Home designation went away, green scrolling bar now blue

    Kev

    kezz wrote:
    > I have to computers bought together ( same computer)
    >
    > I've just noticed that when they both start,
    >
    > One has a Green moving bar and the other has a Blue moving Bar
    >
    > I did a search and the only answer I could find was
    >
    > Green = Home XP
    > Blue = Pro XP
    >
    > Both computers are XP Home
    >

    > Does anyone have any ideas on this
    >
    > Thanks

    All I know is that I had xp home sp1 which had a green bar, I loaded sp2
    and after that it was a blue bar...that's all I know about it

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 02:56:17 -0700, Kevin L wrote:

    > Installed SP2 from Windows Update,
    > Home designation went away, green scrolling bar still green
    >
    > Installed SP2 from CD on another computer,
    > Home designation went away, green scrolling bar now blue
    >
    > Kev

    Thanks, Kev. From what you've posted, it appears that the web install is
    likely to not change the color. Thanks for the info.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Sounds like an SP2 installation failure
    on the ones that are staying green.

    The image is embedded in file Ntoskrnl.exe in the
    WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder.
    Check and see if the file is updated after an SP2 install.
    However, if it's not, you would receive an error such as:
    "NTOSKRNL.EXE missing or corrupt"
    "NTOSKRNL.EXE could not be loaded"

    You can always manually change the color.
    That is what I originally figured someone did on kezz's PC.
    I made mine red on XP Pro.

    It's more than just a splash/boot screen file though.
    It's the core (kernel) of Windows XP.
    Those of you who installed SP2 and still see green,
    check to see if you really do have "Service Pack 2":
    Right-click My Computer
    Click Properties
    The install probably failed and you never really updated.

    Austin M. Horst

    Hi again

    Just a note someone just said,

    On my computers, one was upgraded to SP2 via web update.

    The other was upgraded with the networking download.

    I wonder if this is why some stay green and others go Blue?

    Just a thought.

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:30:40 +0100, kezz wrote:

    > Hi again
    >
    > Just a note someone just said,
    >
    > On my computers, one was upgraded to SP2 via web update.
    >
    > The other was upgraded with the networking download.
    >
    > I wonder if this is why some stay green and others go Blue?
    >
    > Just a thought.

    Kev, it wouldn't hurt to try reinstalling SP2 in case there was a problem
    with the update -or- at least check your version of Windows (start> run and
    type winver). The reason to do this is that you want to make sure SP2 is
    installed.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Computers Green Splash Screen Windows XP