USB ports having sudden difficulties please help!

tehrobzorz

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
hey all,

this is about my old machine running avg 2 years old. specs are as follows:

p4 3ghz w/ ht 90nm

asus p4s800mx-se sb sis 964
nb sis 661fx

1gb of ddr 400 ram

problem:

one day ( 3 days ago) the usb ports ( all of them) stopped working on external hard disks. i tried my 512mb mp3 player and it worked allright but if i put in a 512mb flash disk it wont acept it. windows will say the usual like your hardware is now ready to use then another popup says, usb device not recongised. one of the usb devices attached does not work properly. the really bugs me out because my usb mouse seems to work w/o a hitch. the external also works on my other computer ( see sig) and i got so pissed i reinstalled windows. currently im using a fresh copy of xp sp2 but still no results. so being a software problem is out. could it be the mb thats causing this? but if so why is my mouse still working! also, the printer doesnt work anymore. its a cannon ip4200 which also happend to stop working when the e-hdd stopped. wahts happening guys?

My suggestion is to get a USB 2.0 PCI card or to plug the devices in the native motherobard slots, not in slots that are connected to headers on the motherboard, if you can.
You can try to go in Device Manager, delete the USB entries and restart the computer. It might work.

tehrobzorz

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
yeah ive thought about adding a card too, im getting my dad to get one
but btw, the native ports dnt work ether

im trying to hold off on the card in case theres somthing else

FTCold

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
I had this problem before with an old SOYO Dragon Mobo, problem was the caps were distented and some were leaking - eventually the whole board died.

I'd do a physical inspection of the motherboard. Sounds like all the USB powered devices aren't working correctly but externally powered ones are.

I had this problem before with an old SOYO Dragon Mobo, problem was the caps were distented and some were leaking - eventually the whole board died.

I'd do a physical inspection of the motherboard. Sounds like all the USB powered devices aren't working correctly but externally powered ones are.

Yup i can say from experience when USB caps go....its all gone...but if the mouse works it should not be that....

tehrobzorz

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
heyy all =D thanks for your replies but for now.. ive got my dad to buy a pci usb 2 card. it works with everything now so i guess my problem was solved... ill take your words that the mobo is failing. you guys should see anotherrr new build thread soon :roll: :wink: i mean.. who still supports skt 478?

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS =] ( ive copied and pasted this thread for reference ^^ )