MS Windows CE Services Application Manager??

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I was trying to install Streets and Trips 2004 on my new computer from the
Works Suite 2004 disc. I have XP/SP1 on a Dell.

I get a message titled Severe, that says "We were not able to locate the
Microsoft Windows CE Services Application Manager. Please make sure that you
have Windows CE Services installed and then try again."

Is this something I should have and may have deleted? How can I get it back?
I Googled it and searched on MS site but nothing was helpful.

Bonnie, the novice
5 answers Last reply
More about windows services application manager
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 08:41:13 -0400, Bonnie wrote:

    > I was trying to install Streets and Trips 2004 on my new computer from the
    > Works Suite 2004 disc. I have XP/SP1 on a Dell.
    >
    > I get a message titled Severe, that says "We were not able to locate the
    > Microsoft Windows CE Services Application Manager. Please make sure that you
    > have Windows CE Services installed and then try again."
    >
    > Is this something I should have and may have deleted? How can I get it back?
    > I Googled it and searched on MS site but nothing was helpful.
    >
    > Bonnie, the novice

    Windows CE/Windows Embedded is installed on portable devices: pocket and
    palm PCs, smart phones, etc. If you have one of these devices, connect it
    to the computer and try installing Street and Trips again. The installation
    will add "Pocket Streets" to the device. And it should add the mechanisms
    to the desktop PC for transferring Streets and Trips data over to the
    portable.

    Alternatively, run the setup but do not elect to install Pocket Streets.
    You may need to choose "custom install" to pick and choose components.

    A reference:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;254358

    Bonnie, I don't use a palm or this program so I'm sorry to say that's about
    all I can tell you.

    Also, this is a new computer. You should be able to get free software
    support from Dell under your warranty (support for OEM supplied software is
    covered by the OEM, in this case Dell). They should be able to walk you
    through any setup problems you run into with their system.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Thanks Sharon. I wanted to install it on my hard drive of my desk top. I was
    able to do that on my last computer, so I didn't have to always put the CD
    in. But now, apparently the install disc is only for a pocket pc. :(

    bonnie

    > On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 08:41:13 -0400, Bonnie wrote:
    >
    >> I was trying to install Streets and Trips 2004 on my new computer from
    >> the
    >> Works Suite 2004 disc. I have XP/SP1 on a Dell.
    >>
    >> I get a message titled Severe, that says "We were not able to locate the
    >> Microsoft Windows CE Services Application Manager. Please make sure that
    >> you
    >> have Windows CE Services installed and then try again."
    >>
    >> Is this something I should have and may have deleted? How can I get it
    >> back?
    >> I Googled it and searched on MS site but nothing was helpful.
    >>
    >> Bonnie, the novice
    >
    > Windows CE/Windows Embedded is installed on portable devices: pocket and
    > palm PCs, smart phones, etc. If you have one of these devices, connect it
    > to the computer and try installing Street and Trips again. The
    > installation
    > will add "Pocket Streets" to the device. And it should add the mechanisms
    > to the desktop PC for transferring Streets and Trips data over to the
    > portable.
    >
    > Alternatively, run the setup but do not elect to install Pocket Streets.
    > You may need to choose "custom install" to pick and choose components.
    >
    > A reference:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;254358
    >
    > Bonnie, I don't use a palm or this program so I'm sorry to say that's
    > about
    > all I can tell you.
    >
    > Also, this is a new computer. You should be able to get free software
    > support from Dell under your warranty (support for OEM supplied software
    > is
    > covered by the OEM, in this case Dell). They should be able to walk you
    > through any setup problems you run into with their system.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:46:46 -0400, Bonnie wrote:

    > Thanks Sharon. I wanted to install it on my hard drive of my desk top. I was
    > able to do that on my last computer, so I didn't have to always put the CD
    > in. But now, apparently the install disc is only for a pocket pc. :(

    Bonnie, if the software says Streets and Trips it should install on the
    desktop. If I correctly understand the few MS Knowledge Base articles that
    I read, Streets and Trips has an additional module for the pocket PC called
    Pocket Streets. That should be an optional component and is not needed to
    run Streets and Trips. If on the other hand the install CD says "Pocket
    Streets" or "Streets and Trips for <mobile computing term here>" then, yes,
    it is for pocket PC only.

    As far as getting the second CD to run from the hard drive, that may no
    longer be possible with the newer version. You might be able to work around
    that using a third party program such as Virtual CD from Farstone. This
    works for many programs but there are still some "Run" CDs will still not
    operate from a virtual CD at all. If there is a trial on the virtual drive
    program you choose, you could test before buying to see if it would work
    for you.

    Another place you *might* get more help (don't know how active this group
    is):

    I tried finding a streets and trips newsgroup for you on the MS servers.
    There is one: microsoft.public.streets-trips on msnews.microsoft.com.
    Clicking this link will open OE to that newsgroup:

    Sorry, I can't find a matching http: link to a similar group if you prefer
    the web interface for newsgroup reading.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    > On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:46:46 -0400, Bonnie wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Sharon. I wanted to install it on my hard drive of my desk top. I
    >> was
    >> able to do that on my last computer, so I didn't have to always put the
    >> CD
    >> in. But now, apparently the install disc is only for a pocket pc. :(
    >
    > Bonnie, if the software says Streets and Trips it should install on the
    > desktop. If I correctly understand the few MS Knowledge Base articles that
    > I read, Streets and Trips has an additional module for the pocket PC
    > called
    > Pocket Streets. That should be an optional component and is not needed to
    > run Streets and Trips. If on the other hand the install CD says "Pocket
    > Streets" or "Streets and Trips for <mobile computing term here>" then,
    > yes,
    > it is for pocket PC only.
    >
    > As far as getting the second CD to run from the hard drive, that may no
    > longer be possible with the newer version. You might be able to work
    > around
    > that using a third party program such as Virtual CD from Farstone. This
    > works for many programs but there are still some "Run" CDs will still not
    > operate from a virtual CD at all. If there is a trial on the virtual drive
    > program you choose, you could test before buying to see if it would work
    > for you.
    >
    > Another place you *might* get more help (don't know how active this group
    > is):
    >
    > I tried finding a streets and trips newsgroup for you on the MS servers.
    > There is one: microsoft.public.streets-trips on msnews.microsoft.com.
    > Clicking this link will open OE to that newsgroup:
    >
    > Sorry, I can't find a matching http: link to a similar group if you prefer
    > the web interface for newsgroup reading.

    Thanks again. You are correct in that the install CD says pocket and the run
    cd doesn't. Thanks for the link.

    Bonnie
  5. Hello all,

    I'm getting the same message (posted below) as Bonnie, although I'm trying to install Microsoft Reader 2.4 for Pocket PC on my Dell Axim x30 (Windows Mobile 2003, second edition is the OS). I use a Lenovo Ideapad Y530 with Windows Vista. I have tried installing with the PDA connected, and it doesn't help (by installing I mean downloading the install file and running it with the PDA connected, and then receiving the error message). I should add that I'm not using Microsoft Active sync but rather Windows Mobile Device Center. Basically my sole purpose in messing with this old thing is to use it as an ebook reader, so any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much :)

    Pam

    Severe "we were not able to locate the microsoft windows CE services application manager. Please make sure that you have Microsoft Windows CE services installed and then try again."

Windows Ce Microsoft Customization Windows XP