computer has gone Nutz -could it be the 8800

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
:( just as i had written my card was kicking butt this happens

I put my computer for defrag at night , when i got up there was a BSOD .

So i restarted the computer and now everything works till when windows has to load up

THERE IS NO XP LOADING SCREEN - checked everything -graphic card -Psu -

everything else is normal except windows is not loading it just resets .

SO i put in the Xp Cd for the recovery option but i dont know how to go about it ...

Also any other ideas as to what it can be :cry:

Cmon guys someone help please :(

pauldh

Illustrious
See if you can boot into safe mode by hitting F8 before windows starts. Then restart windows normally (allowing it to properly shut down) if possible. If still a no go under normal startup, but safe mode is OK, you can run MSconfig in safe mode and dissable unneccessary processes from running at Startup. With luck you may find which is causing the problem allowing you to remove/repair it.

If no luck, a Windows system file may be damaged. You could then do a repair install like you planned, but for performance/stability sake I prefer a clean fresh install instead. Simply if you have a spare smaller HDD do do it on and then move over data from the other drive before cloning it back to the bigger drive.

Before doing a reinstall though, don't rule out hardware like the PSU. What power supply do you have? It may have kicked because of the G80 demands. You may be overstressing the 12v rail, and a HDD isn't going to like not getting enough juice during a defrag. 8O

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I have a CORSAIR HX620 -50a :(

it should be enough to power my Pc and half the block , i am running a AMD 3000+

8800gts
1 SATA HD 250GB, SOUNDCARD XFI, 2 DVD ROMS .

HMM I THOUGHT 50 a should be enough :cry:

right now i am doing this

# Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
# Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
# Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
# Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

what do you think should it work :? http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
if what paul said doesnt work..
try inserting the CD
and go to the "recovery console"

there, you should use the "FIXMBR" ( use "help" first to list the commands advailiable, there are 2 commands to fix, one for the masterbootrecord and other for the bootsector)
use both to fix the MBR ..
that should resolve the "NO NTLDR" errors that sometimes happens FAST and prevents windows to load..
thats the most usual error I've seen with windows XP

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
No :( but its doing something like it started on its own :?

How stupid is this windows i didn't even do anything , it just started :roll:

sheesh talk about what the hell is happening now it rebooted itself 8O

and its loading back on :D ...whats happening now :? BLACK SCREEN :cry:

What the hell is going on :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

HELP --i am not overclocking :(

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
UNPLUG IT QUICK!!! IT HAS BECOME SELF-AWARE!!! :lol:

I'm not really sure about this...its seems really strange. You did try to boot into safe mode? What happens after the black screen comes up? Does the hard drive keep reading? Have you reset the default VGA video mode?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
If you have a spare hard drive lying around, consider trying to do a reload on that... if it works on that, maybe you just had a drive go south on you... if that doesn't work, at least you didn't wipe out the data on your current drive just to test that theory.

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
guys i had to instal windows again....but while installing it gave me a warning something about a BATTERY ...

Is this the battery on my motherboard :?: has it gone weak if yes how do i replace it like just take it out :?

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
All you have to do is go to the store and buy an identical battery; their easy to find. Take out the battery, it should be easy. Replace it with the new one. Thats it. You may have to do a BIOS reset; meaning that you will have to reset all the bios options, which is a pain in the @$$.

Best of Luck

Cinder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I've had dead battery messages before, but it turned out the motherboard was bad instead.

Your battery is probably located next to your sata headers. There will be some sort of clip on the battery housing. You'll need to push the clip away from the battery to allow the spring underneath the battery to push the battery out of its housing. Then you'll need to move the cmos jumper from 0-1 to 1-2 for a few seconds and then place the jumper back on 0-1.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I've had dead battery messages before, but it turned out the motherboard was bad instead.

Your battery is probably located next to your sata headers. There will be some sort of clip on the battery housing. You'll need to push the clip away from the battery to allow the spring underneath the battery to push the battery out of its housing. Then you'll need to move the cmos jumper from 0-1 to 1-2 for a few seconds and then place the jumper back on 0-1.
I believe the newer mechanisms are less prone to breaking, but I have broken off several of those clips over the years... granted, I was much younger... but it does happen. Careful! Otherwise you'll get to glue or tape your battery in place.

Armanox

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
Well it dont matter when u do it... but better is do it right away, so u dont have to worry any more.

And if the problem keeps coming up, then u know its not the battery cause u replaced it allready :wink:

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Sounds like you might be having a driver conflict issue when loading windows.I had this problem for a day or so until I realized my anti-virus drivers were conflicting with other drivers.So I uninstalled my A V and went to the main website and downloaded the anti virus program from the master server.Amazing how decent drivers work well eh.Sometimes the drivers that come with hardware or software are cheaply made and so do not work or configure properly.So it's always best to download them from the original site if possible.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471