How to pick the right LCD

Kolorean

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
When looking for an LCD, other than the customer reviews, what I am looking for in the system specifications. What stats in particular am I looking for other than name brand, warranty, and price.

Example:

What I see here is:
5ms..I want lowest correct?

contrast Ratio 900-1

I want it as high as possible? ie 1000 to 1?

The Native resolution:
1680 x 1050

I am just not versed enough to pick by stats alone, or maybe I don't know whats most important.

ViewSonic Q22wb LCD Monitors
View Pic

New Arrival
ViewSonic Optiquest Series Q22wb Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

Brightness: 300 cd/m2
Connectors: D-Sub, DVI
Contrast Ratio: 900:1
Display Type: WSXGA
Horizontal Refresh Rate: 31kHz - 82kHz
Input Video Compatibility: Analog RGB, Digital
Panel: Active Matrix, TFT LCD
Recommended Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Vertical Refresh Rate: 55Hz - 76Hz
Viewing Angle: 170°(H) / 160°(V)
Model #: Q22wb
Item #: N82E16824116076
Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy
In Stock
3 Business Day Shipping $15.11
Move item to Wish ListMove To Wish List

$299.99

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Two important questions to answer first.

1 - What will you be viewing? 5ms is a good point to shoot for as it covers all the bases. What mix of DVD movies, making home movies, general PC use and Internet browsing, games, photo retouching, etc. will you do? As for games, are they likely to be very intense first person shooters (fast screen necessary to prevent ghosting), or slower strategic games? Do you lean towards high speed or best looking game graphics, or a balance of both?

2 - 1680 x 1050 rez. What video card do you have? Goes along with question #1. The higher the resolution and bigger the screen, the more power the GPU will need to have in order to keep high game settings (if needed, depends on the type of game).

When looking for an LCD, other than the customer reviews, what I am looking for in the system specifications. What stats in particular am I looking for other than name brand, warranty, and price.

Your question will be better answered in the "Flat Panels / LCDs" section in the CE section (Consumer Electronics).

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/ce/Flat-Panels-LCDs-forum-9.html

Besides cost, the most important spec of any LCD monitor is the panel technology.

TN = Cheap, fast response times (most are good for gaming), bad viewing angles, very poor color accuracy, okay for movies I suppose, very bad for graphics professionals.

P-MVA, S-PVA = Better quality than TN panels, more expensive, somewhat slower response times, but still good for gaming, very good color accuracy, and pretty good for movies, great viewing angles.

S-IPS = Cream of the crop, expensive, some have fast response times, some have slow response times, excellent color accuracy, excellent viewing angles, great for movies and it is the panel of choice for most graphics professionals.

All 22" LCD monitors are TN panels and are cheaper than some 20.1" monitors because those 20.1" LCDs use the more expensive P-MVA, S-PVA or S-IPS panels.

All 24" LCDs use P-MVA, S-PVA or S-IPS panels which is why you will see a $400+ premium on most of the 24" LCDs vs. 22" LCDs.

Read the following article, it is a good intro in LCD technology:

TN Film, MVA, PVA and IPS – Which one's for you?

Kolorean

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
My system is for gaming, and gaming only...of course a little web surfing. This is going into a brand new build(my first ever) I am doing as soon as the Intel price drops hit.

The general of the system are:
680i LT MB
2 Gigs PC 6400 (800) memory
6600 or 6700 Core Duo
8800 GTS 640 GPU
700 Watt PSU

I play mostly on-line RPGs like Vanguard, the most graphicly intensive game out there (put all the FPS to shame with it's Highest Quality settings) I will play some FPS, so speed is number 1 for me, followed by picture quality.

The Samsung 226BW is arguably one of the best 22" LCD monitor you can buy. However, there's a little Russian Roulette involved. This monitor is built with 22" panels coming from two different sources. The "S" panel is the preferred one to get. The "A" panel looks like crap from what many say.

How can you tell which panel the Samsung 226BW? Simple. You must look at the sticker on the back of the LCD monitor, behind the connection panel. It's not a good idea to buy this monitor over the internet because if you get the "A" panel you're kinda screwed unless you are will to pay for shipping it back and a possible 15% re-stocking fee.

The older Samsung 225BW is still a good monitor, I don't know of any particular issues with it. Then again I don't try to familiarize myself with cheap TN panel monitors.

I believe the ViewSonic VX2235WM is a highly rated 22" LCD monitor.

The LG L226WTX-BF is also a highly rated 22" LCD monitor as well, it is also the most expensive of all the 22" LCD I have mentioned. It costs around $350 - $375.

As I stated before, you're better off posting this question in the CE section (Consumer Electronics) under "Flat Panels / LCDs". It's not as active as the hardware section, but you should recieve a couple of responses within a day or two.