Kiss VGA and DVI goodbye

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/04/vesa-approves-displayport-1-1-kiss-those-dvi-and-vga-ports-good/

"Get ready for hot, hot convergence kids 'cause the DisplayPort 1.1 specification was just approved. The new VESA-approved digital interface standard is meant to replace DVI and VGA ports while co-existing with HDMI for HDTV connectivity."

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
VGA might drop relatively quickly as they already seem to be getting phased out. But DVI isnt going anywhere any time soon. Do you have any idea how many DVI connectors are in active use right now not to mention all the ones to be sold in the future. There are about 600and fifty millionbilliontrillion in use this very second. They might START to get phased out in another 3-5years.

sailer

Splendid
Scapper may overestimate the DVI use, but hey, there's still lots of VGA monitors out there that use adaptor plugs for DVI. I don't see this new tech happening anytime soon.

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
My guess is it'll be about 3-5 years before the new technology starts getting phased in, and then another 3-5 before DVI starts to fade out.

My guess is that we're still going to be using the old analog VGA plugs for a while.

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
noo, not another "standard"
standardization is used to simplify connectivity, not to give you an other extra port on your system.
if there are too much standards, there is no standard.
it's possible to create n other standard, but not right now, we don't need it.
DVI and HDMI are good enough for the coming years.
just fade out D-sub and you'll be fine for some years.

lx_flier

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Thats crap, if anything i would expect hdmi to take over and if this thing really did become mainstream they would probably make hdmi to vesa converters.

Meh, a new standard...but this is what kills me...
So which of our esteemed manufactures will bite first? We're not sure, but VESA isn't shy about using Dell's high-end XPS systems in their marketing collateral. Of course, the question they don't answer is, why not just move everything to HDMI?For that, you just have to look at who backs royalty-free DisplayPort (the PC industry) and who backs HDMI (the consumer electronics industry).
Interesting words there "royalty free" and that Display Port is backed by the PC industry. Those are reasons enough to have manufacturers adopt Display Port instead of HMDI.

duffsr

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
So lame this is.

Everyone (Microsoft mainly i guess) talks about this 'convergence' of tv, pc, media, entertainment. Then why don't they just go to HDMI, that way, your tv, monitors, audio, and pc equipment could all play nicely. Another standard is so tiresome.

DVI is good for beyond 2560x1600, which I don't see becoming mainstream anytime soon.

If all the R600's have native HDMI support, that would be a major buying point in my consideration, even if I don't have a large 1080p tv yet.