plasma aspect ratio

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 23, 2004 11:18:49 PM

I have just got a new 42" panasomic viera hd plasma,which I am delighted
with BTW.
However when watching DVDs with the aspect ratio set to AUTO,the picture
will suddenly, during a loud passage, jump from fullscreen to 16:9
letterbox.
It stays like this for a few minutes then goes back to full screen.
Pretty irritating really.
Any one have any idea what could be causing this?

More about : plasma aspect ratio

Anonymous
October 23, 2004 11:18:50 PM

?? Does it change aspect ratio during the same section of the DVD if the
audio is muted?? If so then it is probably an internal signal issue, if
not, maybe just a physical vibration affecting a poor solder connection
within the item or a possible cracks on one of the pcbs. ?? I Definitely do
not think it should be doing this on it's own accord. Having it checked by
an authorized servicer would be my first directive since it is "new" and
probably still under manufacturer's warranty.
"slalomguy" <youwish@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I have just got a new 42" panasomic viera hd plasma,which I am delighted
>with BTW.
> However when watching DVDs with the aspect ratio set to AUTO,the picture
> will suddenly, during a loud passage, jump from fullscreen to 16:9
> letterbox.
> It stays like this for a few minutes then goes back to full screen.
> Pretty irritating really.
> Any one have any idea what could be causing this?

Anonymous
October 24, 2004 2:06:23 AM

"slalomguy" <youwish@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I have just got a new 42" panasomic viera hd plasma,which I am delighted
> with BTW.
> However when watching DVDs with the aspect ratio set to AUTO,the picture
> will suddenly, during a loud passage, jump from fullscreen to 16:9
> letterbox.
> It stays like this for a few minutes then goes back to full screen.
> Pretty irritating really.
> Any one have any idea what could be causing this?

The Panasonics have always been erratic in the auto mode. There is no fix
except to not use it. It seems to happen in certain brightness changes, but
we never could get enough info out of Panasonic to sort it out. They did
not seem very interested in addressing the issue. Just a lousy design in an
otherwise good product.

Leonard
October 24, 2004 12:52:33 PM

do you think expensive component cables
"Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in message

> "slalomguy" <youwish@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I have just got a new 42" panasomic viera hd plasma,which I am delighted
>> with BTW.
>> However when watching DVDs with the aspect ratio set to AUTO,the picture
>> will suddenly, during a loud passage, jump from fullscreen to 16:9
>> letterbox.
>> It stays like this for a few minutes then goes back to full screen.
>> Pretty irritating really.
>> Any one have any idea what could be causing this?
>
> The Panasonics have always been erratic in the auto mode. There is no fix
> except to not use it. It seems to happen in certain brightness changes,
> but
> we never could get enough info out of Panasonic to sort it out. They did
> not seem very interested in addressing the issue. Just a lousy design in
> an
> otherwise good product.
>
> Leonard

Anonymous
October 24, 2004 12:55:22 PM

"Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in message

> "slalomguy" <youwish@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I have just got a new 42" panasomic viera hd plasma,which I am delighted
>> with BTW.
>> However when watching DVDs with the aspect ratio set to AUTO,the picture
>> will suddenly, during a loud passage, jump from fullscreen to 16:9
>> letterbox.
>> It stays like this for a few minutes then goes back to full screen.
>> Pretty irritating really.
>> Any one have any idea what could be causing this?
>
> The Panasonics have always been erratic in the auto mode. There is no fix
> except to not use it. It seems to happen in certain brightness changes,
> but
> we never could get enough info out of Panasonic to sort it out. They did
> not seem very interested in addressing the issue. Just a lousy design in
> an
> otherwise good product.
>
> Leonard

do you think expensive component cables would help?
at the monent I am useing cheapish radio shack cable.

Anonymous
October 24, 2004 12:55:23 PM

Probably not, may be best to actually start calling Panasonic Customer Line
and start getting them directly involved. Having a servicer that is familiar
with these sets and can actually get appropriate technical support from
Panasonic will also help. I agree with Leonard regarding the problems
Panasonic has when trying to assist their authorized service technicians.
Again, your first line at attempting to get this resolved probably will be
getting Panasonic directly involved, and a authorized servicer to have a
look at it.

> "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "slalomguy" <youwish@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> I have just got a new 42" panasomic viera hd plasma,which I am delighted
>>> with BTW.
>>> However when watching DVDs with the aspect ratio set to AUTO,the picture
>>> will suddenly, during a loud passage, jump from fullscreen to 16:9
>>> letterbox.
>>> It stays like this for a few minutes then goes back to full screen.
>>> Pretty irritating really.
>>> Any one have any idea what could be causing this?
>>
>> The Panasonics have always been erratic in the auto mode. There is no
>> fix
>> except to not use it. It seems to happen in certain brightness changes,
>> but
>> we never could get enough info out of Panasonic to sort it out. They did
>> not seem very interested in addressing the issue. Just a lousy design in
>> an
>> otherwise good product.
>>
>> Leonard
>>
> do you think expensive component cables would help?
> at the monent I am useing cheapish radio shack cable.

Anonymous
October 25, 2004 12:44:18 AM

"slalomguy" <youwish@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "slalomguy" <youwish@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >> I have just got a new 42" panasomic viera hd plasma,which I am
delighted
> >> with BTW.
> >> However when watching DVDs with the aspect ratio set to AUTO,the
picture
> >> will suddenly, during a loud passage, jump from fullscreen to 16:9
> >> letterbox.
> >> It stays like this for a few minutes then goes back to full screen.
> >> Pretty irritating really.
> >> Any one have any idea what could be causing this?
> >
> > The Panasonics have always been erratic in the auto mode. There is no
fix
> > except to not use it. It seems to happen in certain brightness changes,
> > but
> > we never could get enough info out of Panasonic to sort it out. They
did
> > not seem very interested in addressing the issue. Just a lousy design
in
> > an
> > otherwise good product.
> >
> > Leonard
> >
> do you think expensive component cables would help?
> at the monent I am useing cheapish radio shack cable.

No.

Leonard
!