Your question

Bigwater 745 vs 3D Galaxy II

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
April 4, 2007 5:58:17 PM

Hi everybody! I am building a new computer and no I do not need help picking out core parts, I have already done that. I am planning on doing my first water cooling rig and I want to buy a water cooling kit. So this is where I am stuck at. I want a water cooling system that will be quiet (at idle and load) and that will be at room temp when at idle and no more the 40°c when at load (this is targeted not reality). They both need to be expandable so I can eventually add a GPU cooler.

I am looking at these two systems:

Thermaltake Bigwater 745 Liquid System

or
GIGABYTE GH-WIU02 3D Galaxy II Liquid Cooling

I have no idea which one is better then the other. I am looking forward to your input!

This is the rig I am buying after Intel price cuts, and when Amd/ATi release their new beastie.

~New System~
- GIGABYTE 3D Aurora 570 Silver 1.0 mm Aluminum body ATX Full Tower
- Thermaltake A1926 120mm Blue LED Case Fan (to replace stock fans)
- Thermaltake W0116RU ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version 750W Power Supply
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600
- G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK (x2)
- Intel BOXD975XBX2KR LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard
- x2900xtx (Is that the name or is it the x2800xtx??.. Well when that comes out that is what I am getting)
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (x2 for raid 0)
- SAMSUNG 206BW Black 20" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
- ASUS ATAPI/E-IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A3
- ASUS 16X DVD±R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM Write, Light Scribe Technology, E-IDE/ATAPI Model DRW-1612-CAB
- Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card
- Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate

More about : bigwater 745 galaxy

April 4, 2007 7:19:18 PM

Heh, if you want ambient temps whilst idle you need a custom water system, not a kit. Those two are okay, but your not going to get the temps you want with either, especially with a GPU in the loop. Whats your budget for the water cooling?
April 4, 2007 8:12:09 PM

I don't recommend either of them. If you're going for water then go for a high-end system, because low-mid range equals out to be the same as a good air cooler. I suggest swiftech and danger den.
Related resources
April 4, 2007 8:27:50 PM

Quote:
Whats your budget for the water cooling?

My budget, I want to spend about $150 for a water cooling system, $200 max. I am on a budget for $2000 for a new system, and I know that I am already over that without the new video card. That will push me over 2500 to 3000 mark. I am up for a custom build, and if I can not cool my GPU, then I guess that will have to do.
April 4, 2007 8:49:36 PM

For the price range your not going to do very well. There is no reason to jump into watercooling right now especially when it is not needed. It'd be smarter to wait till you've had the system for a year then add the watercooling to it when you've got some more money.

Right now just get good air cooling that will be able to keep your system quiet. Pair them with the right fans and you'll be just fine. It already sounds like you've blown your budget, and with a tight budget, watercooling can become a waste of time, effort and money.
April 4, 2007 9:19:27 PM

Then for air cooling... I was originally looking at the Zelman 9700. Will this be good enough and will it be able to cool off a quad core (in third quarter I am looking to get the q6600 because the price should be $266 according to Intel release of their price cuts.).
April 4, 2007 9:22:24 PM

It can also be found for around $125 which is a complete kit.
April 4, 2007 10:42:26 PM

I agree with IcY18, wait until you have a bigger budget before you get into water cooling. A Tuniq Tower or Thermalright Ultra 120 will work fine.
April 5, 2007 1:26:45 AM

A Tuniq Tower or Thermalright Ultra 120 will cool any processor very well. If you don't mind a few more bucks i believe the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme is coming out soon which cools even better. With the Thermalrights you must choose your own fan, a good fan would be the Scythe S-Flex.
April 5, 2007 5:08:30 PM

I use an original 3D Galaxy liquid cooling kit in my A64 X2 4600+ (running at 2.8GHz) system at home. I have had it for over a year and it keeps my CPU within 2-5C of amient air temps and is pretty much silent. I will be adding another radiator and a DD 8800GTS block to it shortly so I can also cool my new 8800GTS. So whom ever tells you it is a POS does not know what they are talking about. The only thing i recommend doing it replacing the Gigabyter "nano" coolant with a 10% g11 and 90% distilled water mixture. It works great.

-ouch1

BTW you will never get temps that close to amient air temps with an aircooler. I don't care how many heatpipes it has. Water is just way more efficient at moving heat from water blocks to radiators, than a heat pipe can keep up with.
April 5, 2007 7:10:11 PM

Thanks for the info on how "good" watercooling is, let us know how much it cost you vs. aircooling which can deliver just as good performance. No one ever said it was a POS just that for the money you can get just about as good of cooling for less than half the price..
April 5, 2007 7:35:15 PM

Quote:
It can also be found for around $125 which is a complete kit.

Define well....

If it was so good why is it Discontinued?

Op, go with neither. Get a tuniq tower. You'll get near or same temps with a good fan on it.

I am about to quit this forum because of all the bad advice people are giving. And then turning it around to make ME look bad. But im currently in the middle of helping 2 of your forum members out. So not to be rude and just leave, i'll stay until they finished there projects.

Dont get either, as i stated above, the two kits you listed at concidered toys in watercooling class. If you want bling bling, add them, but i promise you your temps wont be as good as a tuniq tower with good fans.

Lastly,

This is how a simple watercooling setup should look like:

Custom parts, or a custom kit. Average price ~ 220 - 250 dollars.

If you really want a beginner setup without bling, but yet have good cooling, the corsair nautilus500 is a much better alternative. @ 150 dollars

Reasons:
1. Delphi DDC pump
2. Modable/replaceable 120x1 radiator <--- u can swap it for about 4-6C improvement with a Blackice GTS.
3. it uses quick disconnects for easy transporting. And its very small, small enough to fit ontop of a shuttle.

This is high end watercooling:

And to answer your last question you may pop:
No a tuniq wouldnt get close to my setup above. The IDLE temp would be the load temp on this setup, at the voltage listed:

proof.

Also i like to tell the readers here, make sure you get PROOF of what is good and what is bad. Because someone says this is good without proof only entitles you to their mistakes.

TT, Galaxy, Koolance, Zalman, = TOYS! i cant Stress this enough. They arent ment to handle the high loads of GFX cards NB CPU in the same loop. There extremely restrictive using less then 3/8 NATIVE. i say native because they use 1/4ID ports and plug adapters to widen it. This doesnt WORK.

*on your budget stay on AIR with a tuniq or ninja, or get the nautilus, and leave it at CPU only.*

Far less headaches then going with a toy kit, or getting wrong advice.

And if you guys think you can give better advice, show me a rig simular to mine in h2o cooling, or better. Then i'll actually think the advice given is true. So far, im seeing zalman,koolance fanboys spreading massive rumors. Then they come to XS or Anand, and cry about there mistakes.

Dont cry, get it right the first time!
April 5, 2007 8:05:13 PM

The reason they discontinued the Galaxy I is that they wanted to make changes to the kit to inclued the 3 way splitter that comes wit hthe Galaxy II. That along with a couple other changes is why.

Here is a review of the Galaxy II if you don't believe me that it is a much better kit than the Bigwater: http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/Gigabyte_3D_Gala...

Plus you can get it on newegg for $139 right now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Plus with the splitter you can cool your GPU and NB without having to cut the tubing you have already installed. Now that makes things easier.

-ouch1
April 5, 2007 8:27:25 PM

Quote:
The reason they discontinued the Galaxy I is that they wanted to make changes to the kit to inclued the 3 way splitter that comes wit hthe Galaxy II. That along with a couple other changes is why.

Here is a review of the Galaxy II if you don't believe me that it is a much better kit than the Bigwater: http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/Gigabyte_3D_Gala...

Plus with the splitter you can cool your GPU and NB without having to cut the tubing you have already installed. Now that makes things easier.

-ouch1

okey lemme tell you all the wrong things about this product.

1. Splitters. They reduce your overall flow eafch time you use one.
2. Tiny radiator. 120.1 to cool cpu ... okey thats acceptable, but a GPU with it?? not on your life. Depending on the GPU, a 120.2 might even get stressed if its a 7900GTX class or greater.
3. Mosfet coolers. Ahhh infamous question... Did you realize a lot more people fubard there board by removing the mosfets? they need a a slight bit of pressure to mount. And needs to be moutned perfectly. If your going to replace your mosfets, be very very careful.
4. The CPU block has a fan on it? WHY? if its to cool your mobo, any sidefan would that it. The block also isnt the best or cutting edge in design.
5. Dont get me started on the pump.
6. OF course there going to give good reviews. They were sponsosed. I think the review writter for Toms said the same about koolance. You tend to glorify the sponsor so he will sponsor you some more. Its common business tactic.

Corsair nautilus500 <--- reviewed and test conducted by many indpendant sources. You want a budget h2o kit, get that. Stay away from the rest of its competitors. Want better, jump up to the big boys with a petratechshop kit, or a swiftech apex kit.
April 5, 2007 10:13:40 PM

Quote:

That is your opinion... and you are entitled to it.

Quote:

Well that is obvious since they steal some of the pressure and flow from the main line and divert it to a smaller line. But since the smaller line is 1/4"ID I doubt there is enough of a pressure drop to make a difference.

Quote:
2. Tiny radiator. 120.1 to cool cpu ... okey thats acceptable, but a GPU with it?? not on your life. Depending on the GPU, a 120.2 might even get stressed if its a 7900GTX class or greater.

I agree but another thing that helps the radiator is to set it up as a push/pull with 2 fans and it works very well considering its size.

Quote:
3. Mosfet coolers. Ahhh infamous question... Did you realize a lot more people fubard there board by removing the mosfets? they need a a slight bit of pressure to mount. And needs to be moutned perfectly. If your going to replace your mosfets, be very very careful.

Umm since the CPU fan is removed in a water cooling setup these will help cool you power mosfets and make your system more stable.

Quote:
4. The CPU block has a fan on it? WHY? if its to cool your mobo, any sidefan would that it. The block also isnt the best or cutting edge in design.

Hence my answer to number 3. It allows for cooling of the power mosfets since they can get VERY hot and cause instability quite easily. And the CPU may not be the lastest design but it provides alot of surface area and turbulence in the water. It works quite well for "budget" block.

Quote:

As I have said before that is your opinion. IMHO is works quite well and it silent. I have had mine running for a year straight without a problem.

Quote:
6. OF course there going to give good reviews. They were sponsosed. I think the review writter for Toms said the same about koolance. You tend to glorify the sponsor so he will sponsor you some more. Its common business tactic.

Umm VH is not sponsored by Gigabyte. They are infact very impartial to all manufacturers. That is why they get to test alot of products that others don't (hence the 3dGalaxy II).

Quote:
Corsair nautilus500 <--- reviewed and test conducted by many indpendant sources. You want a budget h2o kit, get that. Stay away from the rest of its competitors. Want better, jump up to the big boys with a petratechshop kit, or a swiftech apex kit.

Lol you forgot Dangerden. I know the guys at petra's (been to the shop a few times since I live near it) and they make very good kits. Anyone could also go to directron.com, xoxide.com, or any number of shops. But the Corsair Nautilus 500 is not all that you are leading people to believe. It is severly limited by the fact that it uses 3/8"ID tubing instead of 1/2"ID tubing like DD, Swiftech, Gigabyte, and many others use. And the quick connect adapters used in the kit have openings that are 1/4" in diameter. And that will limit the flow even more!

BTW if you want to recommend the Nautilus you might want to check out more of the reviews of it like these:
http://www.velocityreviews.com/reviews/Corsair_Nautilus...
http://www.modthebox.com/review469_1.shtml (this one specifically talks about it not being user servicable.)
Plus most of the other reviews that you can find compared it to air coolers. Not a decent water cooling rig in the bunch.

But as I have said before that is you opinion. And you are entitled to your opinion. But I don't have to take your advice as the word of god. And neither does anyone else for that matter.

-ouch1
April 5, 2007 11:24:25 PM

your absolutely right on your opinion and comments. However, i am mearly suggesting a product that i and many others at anandtech have used. If you have personal experience with the kit and its revisions, then run some independant tests to show me.

Also the methodology in tests conducted is a joke in those reviews. If you compare a review written by them vs, one of johnny guru, or nikhsub, you'll see why im very hesitant in recomending the product. No accurate messurement of how well the radiator performs.

No coolant temps running inside. Infact, on the VH review, they dont even state the usage of coretemp. The test burnin test, ive been googling that as well, and i have yet to see anything that mentions coretemp. These temps were most likely taken off the Mobo sensor. Everyone knows mobo sensors are highly inaccurate in realtionship to core temp.

Also what voltage was used on the CPU. Whats the aprox BTU. Things like this havent been included. Has anyone Moded it? Whats its upgradability?

If you can answer these questions for me i'll reconcider on this product. :p 

I distrust pumps which have no name clearly written on them. In fact let me be honest, out of all the pumps that came out reciently in light of h2o cooling, 4 still remain, while the rest is Discontinued.

I'll also be honest with you here too, i havent had a chance to take a look at there new revision as you so posted. But from all the sub 200 dollar kits, which my cousin had the fortune of getting, the corsair nautiullis is probably the best sub 200 dollar kit i have worked with.

In fact i used it on 2 of my other friends builds, and 1 has been completely stripped of its DDC... lemme note this alone would cost you around 60-80 dollars. And intigrated it in a new setup. The radiator can be replaced to a name brand radiator.

Also about the corsair being native 3/8ths. That has to do with the DDC. They only come in 3/8ths. You can get a bulky top to replace it to 1/2, but seeing how you are aware of such things, i think you have some knowledge in h2o cooling.

So to be honest, would you honestly recomend this product when you have had no contact with it, and read 2 reviews which have no defined methodology? Or would you rather upgrade to something which many people first hand have used, is also modable, and can be taken apart in use of a larger watercooling system or loop in the future?
April 6, 2007 12:35:49 AM

hi, all

I have been reading these forums for a while , and learnt alot.

I have a Galaxy2 WC kit and I am extreamly happy with it , I always get room temps , and is extreamly easy to expand on , for ppl that say it sucks , plz dont say things that you know nothing about , the galaxy is the perfect kit and its the best place to start at , much better then the 9700, the cooling power of this kit is amazing and I will never go back to the old Air cooling . and when you buy a kit , it remove the problem of when you forget to order a clamp or barb or any incompatibility issues . water cooling will always be better then the air counter parts

my 2c
April 6, 2007 4:58:11 PM

Quote:
Ehh, I've seen a lot of watercoolers in my day, and the galaxy and big water really happen to fall towards the bottom. Perhaps if you had a very cool running cpu like a single core, or nothing else on the loop, they would perform moderate, but you couldn't put on a high power cpu and a gfx card and expect it to cool well

Taco the nice thing about the Galaxy and Galaxy II kits is that they can be customized by adding parts from other manufacturers. I myself am thinking of adding a Black Ice radiator w/ fan, and a DD 8800GTS water block. You can't really do that with the big water kit at all. Another nice thing is I could also swap out any of the components for parts that use 1/2"ID tubing. It could be the blocks, radiator, res, or pump. It's that simple.

Unlike the Big water kits where you have to use Tt parts for any of the upgrades you may want to do. and even then you are limited to thier blocks, rad's, res's, and (low power) pumps. So in effect your are hosed if you want to upgrade.

-ouch1

BTW Taco I use a Galaxy kit on a Athlon64 X2 4600+ that is running at 2.8GHz, and it runs within 2-5C of ambient air temps at idle or under full load. Think on that.
April 6, 2007 7:02:00 PM

Quote:
You can't just go buy random parts though, you have to make the composition of all the metals are consitant throughout the loop, otherwise you'll run into galvanization and rust problems.

Actually the term you are looking for is Galvanic Corrosion. And the nice thing about the Galaxy kits is that the block, and radiator are the only metal in contact with the coolant, and they are both copper. So all you have to do is make sure you get blocks or radiators that are also made out of copper. Not brass, aluminum, or even gold plated. As that one step alone with help minimized galvanistic corrosion. Plus using water wetter will help minimize the possibility of corrosion even further.

Quote:
If you are going to replace the radiator on the galaxy II, why not just go custom from the start, it would cost less in the end and you end up with a better loop too :roll:

Acutally I could not afford a kit from Dd, Petra's, or Swiftech when I bought the Galaxy I have for $130 just over a year ago. And at the time a decent DIY kit from any of those 3 was well over $200. And that just cooled the CPU not the GPU or NB too. So for $188 plus shipping I can add a Dd 8800GTS block, and a Black Ice pro radiator to my rig. And increase the cooling capability of my kit without having to buy a custom Dd kit and spend more up front for the basic kit plus the block and radiator.

-ouch1

BTW Tacos I am just playing devils advocate here. I like the galaxy kit I have, but I also know it is at best a mid-level kit that cannot compare to a high-end kit from Dd, Petra's or Swiftech. I just cannot afford to replace it yet.
April 6, 2007 7:39:08 PM

Yes but remember that most of the high end air coolers are HUGE!!!! Look at the Gemini that thing take 2 120MM fans!!!! I myself prefer the clean look I get with my water cooling. Not some huge heatsink with 2 huge fans blocking the view of my motherboard, videocard, and memory. I myself am a gamer but I have to live with a budget so I got for good perfomance ata decent price. And my glalaxy out performs all of the air coolers I have ever tried or seen tried. So I will stick with it.

-ouch1
April 6, 2007 9:54:18 PM

I totally agree about preference. That is why I have a wish list of Dd stuff just waiting for me to buy the parts. But as I am moving next week I have to wait until I am settled in to see if I can justify buying the parts. But that also includes justifying it to the wife. And that is a tough thing to do. That is why I was thinking of adding (not replacing) a new rad, and the Dd 8800GTS block since it would cost 1/2 the price of me building a complete new loop. That includes cooling the CPU, GPU, and NB. So who knows I will get to it eventually.

-ouch1
April 7, 2007 4:14:56 AM

Holly dick guys!!! I was a little worried there for a second thinking someone was about to get stabbed or something!!! I am looking for the optimal cooling solution for a CPU right now. I know the Conroe chips are fairly cold by nature and that was why I wasn't looking at the high-end, god like, systems. I am just one humble sole trying to cool his E6600.

I have looked at all the indifferent cooling systems you have suggested and I still have no idea what I am going to do... it all depends on what my monies are.

I know that the two coolers I said are on the lower end but that is what I am looking at. For kits I know the 3d Galaxy was ranked 3rd out of 15 water cooling kits (please give time to find the page that i saw that at... it was one random one that i ran across while board at work) and the remake of that into the 3d Galaxy II was there to fix some issues with it. I know the pump sucks, and you can tell by looking at the pictures that the heating block is not the best quality. But it can performer for a processor on it and it looks great with the 3D Aurora 570 case.

The thermal take just has a shit load of 120mm fans to cool off water...

So out of these two, who is the better?

If there is another contender for the same price through that into the mix as well.

yeah....
April 7, 2007 4:38:48 AM

I think performance wise, the TT BW 745 would keep cooler temps, and still have enough umpgh to also cool a GPU if you decide later on...

Also, you can run the 745 with just the twin 120mm radiator, and keep the other 120mm single radiator as a spare when if needed. For cooling just a CPU, the spare really is not nec, unless you want to expand to cooling other components.
April 7, 2007 5:00:21 PM

What is exactly plastic that sux with the Bigwater 745?
It certainly is not the two copper radiators, or all copper heatsink?

I seriously doubt anyone getting the Bigwater 745 will think it is not built well, because it is. And very good locking mech insure leak free system too.
April 7, 2007 5:29:56 PM

Taco, it is a metal shroud!!! Look it up if you do not know what you speak about!!!
April 7, 2007 5:31:46 PM

I have run one for almost the past 2 years solid! It cools the fukc out of my 2.6GHz Opteron dual core OC'd CPU, and that was not even using the additional 120mm radiator, which btw is all metal too.
April 7, 2007 5:47:59 PM

I understand fully I believe re: cooling... But I am just stating that the 745 is a good system which performs as advertised, and will last a couple of years at least, and best of all, can be bought around $150 more or less...
And it is more cooling per dollar amount than the performance cooling you can get with a custom h2o rig of the same dollar amount... in fact, to reach or exceed the cooling levels of the 745, it would take at least $300 from DD, and then you would only have a single 120mm radiator for cooling, not 3 times that size as with TT 745...
April 7, 2007 5:48:10 PM

Rich,

Go to the previous page and read my post about Galvanic Corrosion. There is a Wiki link in there that will give you more info. BTW the Galaxy II still get great temps even with a GPU block according to a friend of mine who has it on his FX-62 & 7900GT. I think it is due to the GPU only using a 1/4"ID tube off the splitter instead of a 1/2" ID tube and stealing too much pressure and flow.

-ouch1
April 7, 2007 5:51:58 PM

I know about galvanic corrosion. And if the TT has alum/copper, well I am running one for nearly 2 years, and it works fine... But yeah, if choosing, I would choose all one or the other material to assemble, but it costs a lot more than $150, plain and simple. And to some people who want to try out h2o cooling, $150 will get your feet wet, figuratively, granted, you can spend more once you decide you like it and have learned some along the way, not bad for a $150 investment that performs as advertised... imo
April 7, 2007 6:01:06 PM

I could see the green liquid getting faded after about 8 months... I changed the fluid, and it stayed green up till now... As far as corrosion, it appears to be kept to a min with the TT 745... even after two years...
All of it is internal, so whenever you wish to upgrade it or chunk it and start over, at $150 for two solid years of good performing water cooling is not all that bad, imo.
April 7, 2007 6:10:12 PM

precisely, my point trying to make... :wink:
April 7, 2007 7:27:45 PM

Quote:
OverClockers Cafe
Effectively having triple the capacity of a standard 120mm radiator, the BigWater 745 offers fantastic performance and I applaud Thermaltake for releasing a kit that represents 'the extreme!'

Quote:
TechPowerUp
Now the improvements have placed the Big Water into a new class of water cooling, it's no longer an entry level cooler. It also allows for more choices for addons in a 3/8" tubing world than 1/4". I wouldn't place the new Big Water in the top tier but if the price holds true the Big Water would certainly be a good choice.

Quote:
ThinkComputers.org
The Thermaltake Big Water 754 is a great kit for those that wish to jump into water cooling their system. Of course care and patience is needed during the install process, as with any setup read and follow the instruction manual carefully to make sure you get it right. The Big Water 754 might not fit in smaller cases, as you need to install the pump and res in your case. ThinkComputers gives the Thermaltake BigWater 745 CL-W0076 a 9 out of 10 score.

Quote:
NFHQ
...The Thermaltake Big Water 754 is a great kit for those that wish to jump into water cooling their system. ThinkComputers gives the Thermaltake BigWater 745 CL-W0076 a 9 out of 10 score.

Quote:
XtremeComputng
Thermaltake have really got a great kit out now for top end H2O cooling. The Thermaltake Bigwater 745 delivers the performance and doesn’t make much noise. With a dual and single radiator and only one block, it is a bit overkill, and this kit is just screaming for a GPU block or two – which can be ordered separately. I would even consider not using the single rad if I could mount the dual internally, but that would depend on the system performance. If the single isn’t necessary, hell, just ebay it!

And the List goes on and on...
It is an excellent choice, especially for entry to mid level users... It is easy to install, complete, and a very good cooler, much better than the best air coolers...
Go read several reviews and make your mind up...

I read them and bought one... And I still recommend it for all except for those wanting to build an uber OC'd with nothing but the best and money is not a problem...
April 7, 2007 8:16:55 PM

It bested my best air cooler by far...
With just the dual rad, not the add'l one, it kept my Opty at 2.6GHz under 44C at max load... I know it would have been lower if I install the entire kit...
May 16, 2009 5:22:00 PM

Quote:
aigomorla said:
Quote:

-ouch1

Well first off the cpu fan cools the mobo and surrounding components another 6 degreesand if you want to add more hot running components just look in ebay and find a deal on a 1/2 120mm rad or just spend too much money and buy one rad. As of now I am using the Gigabyte Galaxt 3d 2 and i'd have to say with A CM 690 chassis it was very hard trying to find a place fot the pump, but it does put out a good 400 lph.
a c 86 K Overclocking
May 16, 2009 9:54:19 PM

Holy thread revival!
May 20, 2009 4:11:53 PM

OMG!!! UBER NECROMANCED THREAD!!! It is over 2 years old!!! I remember this thread from waaaayyyyy back in the day.

-ouch1
a c 467 K Overclocking
May 20, 2009 5:57:52 PM

LOL...ouch1, it had gone back to sleep for 1/2 a week and you woke it back up...again. :) 
May 21, 2009 6:17:00 PM

Lol sorry. I will let it rest with the dead now.
December 1, 2009 6:20:18 AM

But if you're spiritual, the dead have spirits!

Spirit's nostalgic and proud reply...

I've got a 3D Galaxy II as well and have had it with an E6300 @ 3.3GHz (stock is 1.86GHz) on a 965P-DS3P since Mar-07; running 24/7 since then except for a couple of times when the power supply blew and the GPU blew. Both been replaced.

24/7 was with BOINC running 24/7 as well except when the room temps went to 40c+ for a couple of weeks straight (Melb-Australia last summer). I have also upgraded the ram to OCZ reapers since 2007 and now runing 8GB.

In the time since 2007 running 24/7 it has run Vista 32bit for most of its time, 8 months of Ubuntu Jaunty 64bit; and just recently, back to the dark side with Windows7 64bit.

The voltage regulator on the Galaxy kit also blew so I ripped it off and plugged the radiator fan straight to the mobo. Original fans and pump still going strong although I had to buy another bottle of the Gigabyte coolant.

The bloody thing is loud!!! To keep it stable 24/7 during Aussie Spring to Autumn requires the fan to be full blast! But have gotten used to it. I figured, you can still enjoy a movie in a plane! So what's the diff?

I'm amazed at how long it has been going and still going AND still going!!! AND NOW...

...Tadadadaaa...

I'm going to upgrade the bios to the latest and throw a Q9650 in it! Let's see how stable this old "cheap" LC-kit can get the last of the Core2 Quads at the maximum stable overclock. I may have to upgrade half the ram to OCZ 8500 Reapers as only half of it is 8500 the other is 6400.

It's an old thread I know, many disliked it and many liked it. I understand both sides of the argument. However, experience speaks volumes and it can't get any truer than basic undeniable mathematics...

(((3.333GHZ/1.86GHZ)100%)~970days) @ ~constant full load via BOINC Projects
Answer: ~179% of stock design specification for ~3yrs rounded up to the nearest 12th month at full load for CPU.

Perhaps a more expensive Swiftech or custom setup could have pushed it higher for the same time? Very probable, but, it was CHEAP! Savings meant mo cash for Macdonalds for months (lean beef burger of course)!

Stay tuned and I'll write in here my experience with the last of the C2Quads in the comming..... MONTHS. So this thread ain't dead yet. Can't write straight away as stability requires prolonged 24/7 running over the seasons...

All the main parts speak volumes for durability since they have lasted this long. Was an excellent investment and still room to grow and it is OLD! Just like the old Cali Redwoods, old but still growing. Thinking of replacing the radiator sometime next year with one from Swiftech.

DanglingPointer :) 

a b K Overclocking
December 1, 2009 11:14:55 PM

STOP WAKING UP DEAD THREADS!

a c 467 K Overclocking
December 2, 2009 12:32:03 PM

^cute GF you got there, Shadow/ :) 
December 7, 2009 12:27:27 PM

Dont buy any of those, cheap watercooling kits are highly outperformed by good air cooling (thou air will be more noisy), and youll waste your money (like i did) wondering what would you archive with better water cooling.
If you dont care about overclocking: Stock cooling, unless you want to lower noise.
If you want to overclock a bit : Dont, low Oc wont do you ANY good in a cpu, perhaps in gpus.
If you want to make a strong OC: get a decent watercooled custom kit when you have the money and THEN oc...
You might find yourself as me right now where to oc my granpa q6600 good enought id have to spend like 600E, and with that i can get a X58+i7+ddr3 and im still saving some money, not to mention you could OC the i7 then.
a c 86 K Overclocking
December 7, 2009 6:57:59 PM

Thanks Catspaw. We are trying to let this OLD thread die. Someone just doesn't pay attention and keeps it going and going.
February 24, 2010 6:07:07 AM

Okay, you squabbling, moronic brats:

It's official: if you are STUPID enough to think that ANY aircool system can even BEGIN to compare to a midrange or higher liquid cool or believe those who say such nonsense, then you should do the world a favor and go back to high school. Did you dipsticks not pay attention in chemistry class or physical science? It's IMPOSSISBLE for an air cool system to keep up with a good water cooling system. Thank you all for making everyone on the internet look like high school dropouts.

FACT: The laws of thermodynamics undermine your every assertion to this point. Example:
Zeroth law of thermodynamics
If two thermodynamic systems are each in thermal equilibrium with a third, then they are in thermal equilibrium with each other.
When two systems, each in its own thermodynamic equilibrium, are put in purely thermal connection, radiative or material, with each other, there will be a net exchange of heat between them unless or until they are in thermal equilibrium. That is the state of having equal temperature. Although this concept of thermodynamics is fundamental, the need to state it explicitly was not widely perceived until the first third of the 20th century, long after the first three principles were already widely in use. Hence it was numbered zero -- before the subsequent three. The Zeroth Law implies that thermal equilibrium, viewed as a binary relation, is a transitive relation. Since a system in thermodynamic equilibrium is defined to be in thermal equilibrium with itself, and, if a system is in thermal equilibrium with another, the latter is in thermal equilibrium with the former, thermal equilibrium is furthermore an equivalence relation).

TRANSLATION: Heat transfer occurs when there is a difference in temperaturs in two sources that aren't equal in temperature.

FACT: Using what we now all know about thermal dynamics the next step is understanding Boyle's Law and Charles's Law:

Charles's Law

Whatever the priority of the discovery, Gay-Lussac was the first to demonstrate that the law applied generally to all gases, and also to the vapours of volatile liquids if the temperature was more than a few degrees above the boiling point. His statement of the law can be expressed mathematically as:

where V100 is the volume occupied by a given sample of gas at 100 °C; V0 is the volume occupied by the same sample of gas at 0 °C; and k is a constant which is the same for all gases at constant pressure. Gay-Lussac's value for k was 1⁄2.6666, remarkably close to the present-day value of 1⁄2.7315.

A modern statement of Charles' law is:

At constant pressure, the volume of a given mass of an ideal gas increases or decreases by the same factor as its temperature on the absolute temperature scale (i.e. the gas expands as the temperature increases).
Boyle's Law

For a fixed amount of an ideal gas kept at a fixed temperature, P [pressure] and V [volume] are inversely proportional (while one increases, the other decreases)

TRANSLATION: Gases and liquids, being of similar composition and abiding by the same principles have a few simple rules:

1) They both transfer heat and expand inversly proportional to their specific composition
2) The closer together the molecules of the material in question, the better the heat transfer
3) The molecules of EVERY liquid are closer together than ANY gas (or "air", if you desire) thus meaning that the heat transference will ALWAYS be better
4) The performance of the water cool in question can be answered by knowing the size of the radiator, the size and speed of the radiator fan(s), the amount of liquid the pump moves per second/minute/hour, the kind of liquid in question, the size of the tubing, how much heat (wattage) the CPU produces per second, the material(s) used for the CPU block and the width and length of the tubing.

IN PRACTICE:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4(Quad core) 965BE 3.4GHz 140W OC'd to 3.895GHz @ 32deg Celcius (idle) 47.2deg Celcius all cores 100% load (temp taken while running, after 4 hrs)
Socket AM3
Liquid Cooling? Yes.
Brand? Gigabyte Galaxy II

IN SHORT: I would never assert that a custom cooling solution isn't the way to go (it's what the aptly named "Death Star" renderfarm at Skywalker Ranch uses) but, for the money? You can't beat that with a stick while it sleeps. So, for all you nay-saying re-re's: kiss it. The day ANY of you has a master's degree (or higher) in Electronic Engineering, Astrophysics or Physics; you may (upon presentation of your degree) have grounds to dispute. Until then? You are what gamers would call "noobs"; so keep your uneducated opinions to yourselves and STOP trying to advise people on issues that you have little to no understanding on.

FINALLY: To any and all seeking a better cooling solution for your computer, I say this: Do your research. Understand HOW it works and WHY. Then, and only then, will you know what is the best buy for your budget. Good luck.
a c 86 K Overclocking
February 24, 2010 1:36:24 PM

LOL, we were trying to let this die.................
March 10, 2010 8:32:15 PM

Just to let people know .....I've ran the Tt big water 745 for over 4 years on an overclocked 3700+ @ 3ghz .......with no problems at all . It's now cooling my Phenom 550 Black @ 4ghz with a peak of 38C under a 6hour prime 95 load . The only mod i've made is not using the small radiator in the kit because it only has 1/4" tubing inside the radiator ..... the larger 240mm rad is 3/8th's .
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 11, 2010 2:11:51 AM

Thats nice. get people to buy junk... thanks. Now we have to fix their issues.

Good job. A whopping 3700, wow. And now a whopping 550.

March 11, 2010 6:41:19 AM

How is it junk if it's ran for four years and not given me a single problem ? A whopping 550 and 3700 who the hell are you ........ besides someone trying to make them self look big on a web forum . Keep up the Spec thuggin YO!
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest