Looking for an audio player

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I'm running Suse 10.1 and I'm looking for a good audio player similar to something like Winamp. I like how the files are organized in catagories. I have XMMS and all the files are listed in one small window and you have to scroll throught 2000 songs to find the one you like. Any ideas?

one_winger

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
I highly recommend amaroK:

http://amarok.kde.org/

It works with Xine, GStreamer, and aRts. Assuming you have Xine, and all the libraries for WMV, OGG, etc., you will find it to be quite capable. I'm running it on my dev box (Slackware 10.2, KDE 3.4), and there's only ONE bug I've noticed, thus far:

It has completely and randomly rearranged the artist tags of all of my MP3's.

Aside from that, it's done well.

Cheers,

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
For something very close to WinAmp, I've always used XMMS. The core app hasn't been updated in a while, but new plugins are constantly coming out. Simple, effective, and lean.

linux_0

Splendid
For something very close to WinAmp, I've always used XMMS. The core app hasn't been updated in a while, but new plugins are constantly coming out. Simple, effective, and lean.

Aye XMMS is kewl :-D

There are many cool ones -- just apt-get, yum, YaST, RPM, deb or whatever all the players from your repo's and use whichever one ( s ) you like :-D

linux_0

Splendid
I agree, XMMS is my favorite so far.

MPlayer is also very good and so is madplay.

Several of these have plugins which improve functionality. Some can even be controlled via the web :-D

You can also stream audio and video across your LAN.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Hehe, reminded me of when I first installed MPlayer on my new machine, neglected to add the "xinerama" flag to the build, and as such fullscreening the test DVD proceded to fill both monitors... good times

linux_0

Splendid
Hehe, reminded me of when I first installed MPlayer on my new machine, neglected to add the "xinerama" flag to the build, and as such fullscreening the test DVD proceded to fill both monitors... good times

:-D

Did you compile mplayer yourself?

linux_0

Splendid
But of course :D

:-D :-D

Just wondering what kind on configure line did you use?

I normally use this:

[code:1:ee66ac268e]
./configure --prefix=/usr --confdir=/etc --enable-gui --with-extralibdir="/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/X11R6 -L/usr/lib -L/lib -L/usr/lib64 -L/usr/X11R6/lib64 -L/lib64 -lXext" --with-codecsdir=/usr/lib/mplayer/codecs --disable-gcc-checking --target=athlon_xp --cc="gcc32 -m32" --as="as --32"
[/code:1:ee66ac268e]

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Actually my general one looks very much like that with some of the redundancy of lib vs lib64 removed, but I had neglected to add xineramato either CCFLAGS or make.conf, I just hadn't noticed at this point.... meaning that I had to rebuild much of my X system again.... that's what you get for rushing.

linux_0

Splendid
Actually my general one looks very much like that with some of the redundancy of lib vs lib64 removed, but I had neglected to add xineramato either CCFLAGS or make.conf, I just hadn't noticed at this point.... meaning that I had to rebuild much of my X system again.... that's what you get for rushing.

Kewl :-D

Thanks