"Open with...>Choose Program" defaults to Notepad. Any ide..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

When I right-click on a file and choose "Open With...", I get a few choices
and "Choose Program...", under the seperator. When I click on "Choose
program...", the file will open up in Notepad, no matter what kind of file
it is.It does not offer any other choices, as it is meant to do....
This is bumming me out because I have been wanting to double-click some
registry keys(.reg) to fix a different problem I now have, and the keys do
not get sent to the registry, but will only open in Notepad.
Any help much appreciated,
Waldo
6 answers Last reply
More about open with choose program defaults notepad
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    For one thing it sounds like your reg file association is screwed up...

    Windows® XP File Association Fixes
    Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox

    REG File Association Fix (Restore default associations for REG files)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:GHf6e.3720$Fm5.2969@trndny09,
    Waldo <Waldo@yeahright.com> hunted and pecked:
    > When I right-click on a file and choose "Open With...", I get a few
    > choices and "Choose Program...", under the seperator. When I click on
    > "Choose program...", the file will open up in Notepad, no matter what
    > kind of file it is.It does not offer any other choices, as it is meant to
    > do....
    > This is bumming me out because I have been wanting to double-click some
    > registry keys(.reg) to fix a different problem I now have, and the keys do
    > not get sent to the registry, but will only open in Notepad.
    > Any help much appreciated,
    > Waldo
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Try this.

    Go to:
    Read and follow instructions.
    Go to line 220 -- left side for:
    Restore Open With on the Right Click.

    "Waldo" <Waldo@yeahright.com> wrote in message
    > When I right-click on a file and choose "Open With...", I get a few
    > choices
    > and "Choose Program...", under the seperator. When I click on "Choose
    > program...", the file will open up in Notepad, no matter what kind of file
    > it is.It does not offer any other choices, as it is meant to do....
    > This is bumming me out because I have been wanting to double-click some
    > registry keys(.reg) to fix a different problem I now have, and the keys do
    > not get sent to the registry, but will only open in Notepad.
    > Any help much appreciated,
    > Waldo
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell\openas\command

    Is the Command that is run when choosing Open on a unknown file type or choosing Choose Program on a registered file type. It's default value is
    %SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1

    and it must be Reg_Expand_SZ type.

    "Waldo" <Waldo@yeahright.com> wrote in message news:GHf6e.3720$Fm5.2969@trndny09...
    > When I right-click on a file and choose "Open With...", I get a few choices
    > and "Choose Program...", under the seperator. When I click on "Choose
    > program...", the file will open up in Notepad, no matter what kind of file
    > it is.It does not offer any other choices, as it is meant to do....
    > This is bumming me out because I have been wanting to double-click some
    > registry keys(.reg) to fix a different problem I now have, and the keys do
    > not get sent to the registry, but will only open in Notepad.
    > Any help much appreciated,
    > Waldo
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in news:OhuWo0hPFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell\openas\command
    >
    > Is the Command that is run when choosing Open on a unknown file type
    > or choosing Choose Program on a registered file type. It's default
    > value is %SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe
    > %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1
    >
    > and it must be Reg_Expand_SZ type.

    David,
    After Unknown, there are no other folders. Do I have to create a new key
    with the above data? if so, how do I make it Reg_Expand_SZ type...?
    I'm a novice at this registry stuff (but becoming quite knowledgeable):-)
    Ciao,
    Waldo
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Waldo,

    Apply this REG fix. Automates the task:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/openas.reg

    To see the contents, open the file with Notepad.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in news:OhuWo0hPFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
    >
    >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell\openas\command
    >>
    >> Is the Command that is run when choosing Open on a unknown file type
    >> or choosing Choose Program on a registered file type. It's default
    >> value is %SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe
    >> %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1
    >>
    >> and it must be Reg_Expand_SZ type.
    >>

    > David,
    > After Unknown, there are no other folders. Do I have to create a new key
    > with the above data? if so, how do I make it Reg_Expand_SZ type...?
    > I'm a novice at this registry stuff (but becoming quite knowledgeable):-)
    > Ciao,
    > Waldo
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in news:utqn8MxPFHA.3336
    @TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/openas.reg

    Ramesh,
    Thanks...That did the trick.
    Ramesh, do you think you could help with my other problem of permanently,
    and globally, clearing the check box in the "run as..." dialog box which
    states: "Protect my computer from unauthorized program activity."
    It also seems i can't associate ".exe" extension with applications in the
    file types dialog box...
    I have a feeling all of these are related....
    Thanks,
    Waldo

Notepad Microsoft Windows XP