ryboto

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
So, here's the story. I had a machine that worked perfectly, specs were as follows:
Abit AX8
A64 3700 (SD core) w/zalman 9500
1GB Muskin ddr550(running at spd timings)
WD raptor 150gb
WD caviar 320gb
Dlink AG530 wireless adapter
Ati theater 550 capture card
Ati Radeon X800XL w/ati silencer 4
NEC dvd-dl burner/OEM dvd ROM
Lian Li PC-V1000 Case
Enermax Noisetaker 485W

I left my pc at my apartment on a thursday, came home the following monday, went to turn it on, and , nothing. Blank screen. I cleared cmos, still, nothing. I then tried my psu on another motherboard I had lying around to see if it was working, and, it wasn't. So, my psu went dead in the 4 days that I hadn't used my computer...I then plugged in my old spare whisper series 460W psu(ATX 1.0 i think) and got the system to boot up. Upon loading windows i was greeted with "windows did not properly load last time". So, someone turned on my computer, probably my roomates, and in doing so, they killed my psu.

I didn't mind too much..as I can just rma the psu, and hope nothing else was wrong with it. So, after using my pc for about 10 minutes, i get a bsod. I shrug it off, use it more, 2 hours go by, bsod. A different one. I used the pc for another day, and still more, random bsods. I decided i'd try my older hard drives, as they still had a copy of windows loaded on them, configured to my pc. They experienced the same behavior, bsods, random, and never at the same time. Regarldess of the operation, i could be idling, playing a game, whatever. I know my ram is ok, i ran memtest for 9.5 hours, and it completed 26 loops, all passes. I am curious if my power supply is just old, and is having issues in some manner. I can't test this theory until my new psu arrives.

What i did test last night, was removing my wireless adapter. After removing it, i booted the pc, ran 3dmark2003, 2005, prime95, the 3d programs for an hour combined, and prime95 for 1.5 hours. All the while i was running one instance of folding@home in the background. It only had one hiccup, when 3dmark2003 was first ran, i closed with an unexpected error. The pc didn't restart once, no bsod's, i even left it on overnight, and when i woke up, it hadn't restarted. Could my wireless adapter really cause random bsods? could it be that my psu can't power all of the devices at once? or could it have been an irq issue?? I just really don't want to have to rma another thing...and it was all working just dandy before the psu died...any suggestions would be appreciated.

ryboto

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I just found a combination of programs that causes a blue screen. If i have xfire open, and i'm in a voice chat, and I play an online game, the pc will show a blue screen and restart. I can play games fine, indefinitely it seems, and i don't get a blue screen, but when I use my usb headset and a game, it crashes. The last time this happened, the bsod showed "driver irq not less than or equal", with a code of 0x000000D1, and suggesting tcpip.sys is the culprit, upon restarting and logging in, as the system was loading drivers/startup programs, i ran into the same error, only it listed ntfs.sys...at least i think that was the file. Regardless, I think i'm having an irq issue. Can i have a driver irq problem? and how to i fix it...i've only got two pci slots, and i've tried using both..

ryboto

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
so, I'm running in safe mode with networking support...risky, as I have no virus protection in safe mode, but still, I have no crashes. Someone in another forum suggested that it may be the virus prorgram i use(nod32), so, i uninstalled it, restarted my machine, and attempted to use my headset(as that usually seems to accelerate the crashing process) in a voip call. After about 2 minutes, it crashed. So, the virus program wasn't the problem...what should I try next? uninstalling individual drivers?