some help with a Gigabyte GA-K8NNXP mobo

RyanH

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
I'm fixing a computer for a friend who was complaining of the computer randomly shutting itself off during the bootup. I had him peek inside if it over the phone and he saw that the CPU fan was a lil' loose, so I told him not to leave it alone until got to look at it. So he brought it over and I opened it up, removed the CPU fan and, much to my dismay, discovered that the two plastic tabs (the ones the CPU fan has to latch onto) on the bottom of the bracket had snapped off, and the bracket itself was cracked down the middle.

So simple question, really. Is there a way to remedy this situation? I've considered super glue or epoxy, but, uh I'm not entirely sure how healthy / resilient that would be.

Is it fubar? Would really be a shame considering how simple the essence of the problem is..

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
This isn't a problem - you just need to buy an aftermarket heatsink / fan - most of them come with their own mounting bracket.

You'll have to remove the mobo from the PC, as the bracket usually mounts onto the bottom side.

Make sure you get one that is going to fit - these things are huge.