Cannot copy (or move or delete) xxxx: Access is denied

charismasf

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I bought a new computer and wanted to move the contents of the MY DOCUMENTS folder from my old computer to my new one. I tried connecting them through my network, but met with repeated failure to connect ("no permissions"). I decided to do a backup of the files I wanted with BackUp MyPC, version 5 and then restore them on the new comuputer. It worked fine, except it created a tree structure that didn't put the MY PICTURES contents and the MY MUSIC contents in the folders I wanted them in, so I moved them to the proper folders and deleted the folders that were created with the backup. Now I cannot open the files nor move them nor delete them. I get the message, "Cannot copy (or move or delete) xxxx: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use". All I want to do at this time is delete them. Help! :?: :?:

My system is winxp, sp2, media center. 1gb ram.

Thanks

Forget all the above. I was able to solve the problem myself. I found the solution in Microsoft Support Knowledge Base Article ID: 810881. :lol:

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Try going into Safemode and log in as Administrator. For some unknown reason, at least to me, the files are being used, or at least the computer thinks they are and going in to Safemode and logging in as a different user usually allows you to delete files. Before you do this I'd go into Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options and make your hidden files visable.

charismasf

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Thanks for the comback but I was able to solve the problem. I found the solution in Microsoft Support Knowledge Base Article ID: 810881. (See edit to original post) Check it out.