Windows Vista Beta2 the Largest Software Download in History

DaBigHurt

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
From www.tweakguides.com

Windows Vista Public Beta the Largest Software Download in History
10 June 2006

What happens when you try to serve a popular multi-gigabyte-sized download to the entire planet? Well Microsoft seems to have found out the hard way with their Windows Vista Public Beta 2 release earlier this week. Apparently it's the largest downloaded software in history. Just like many of you, I struggled to try to download the Beta (4.4GB 64-bit version in my case), only to find it aborting twice exactly upon completion, and only through some fiddling around did I manage to get it on the third download. And I'm one of the lucky ones - Microsoft have now clearly indicated on the Vista Beta site that many users will simply not be able to access the download, and should order a DVD version. If they attempt to increase the amount of bandwidth they're providing, they will literally slow down the entire Internet!

scottkli

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2003
Well I must be one of the lucky ones, I got on this morning and got Vista downloaded in about 4 hours. I also have put up a FTP site which might or might not work so good. ftp://192.168.1.102 Midwest Mirror. It has Vista2 Iso, Vista Drivers and some other Microsoft Beta programs. I would recommend using Filezilla:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/filezilla/FileZilla_2_2_24b_setup.exe
I recommend the Phoenix, AZ server to get it

I have found this to work better than just IE. If you download Filezilla first, then use address 192.168.1.102 and port 21 to access the files. Hope this helps. :D

DaBigHurt

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I used an Old but classic program: Download Accelerator Plus, It took me about 5 hours, but then again I have slower cable connection wich averages about 80kbp/s.

TRENDING THREADS