DVI HDCP and me

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 24, 2004 7:34:17 AM

Last year a I bought a 50 inch Fujitsu Plasma. I waited until I could get
an HD Tivo to start to use HD. When I installed it I could not use the DVI
since my display did not support the HDCP standard (I guess it was not
around 16 months ago). So I had to use component output. The picture looks
great but I can not compare it to how it would look with DVI. But I have a
couple of concerns:

1) I want to buy a Media Center PC which will probably want to use DVI HDCP
output
2) Will the content companies who seem to be at war with their customers
(meaning folks like us) be able to turn off the component output of my Tivo?

I spent my career in the computer industry and while we were not that great
at ease of use, we certainly had enough respect for our customers not to
obsolete their equipment like this.

So what do I do and is there any way around this problem.

Thanks

More about : dvi hdcp

Anonymous
October 24, 2004 9:42:55 PM

If you are looking for a cable solution, go to
http://www.svideo.com/dvi1.html. They carry all dvi cables and converters.

"avram miller" <news@avram.com> wrote in message
> Last year a I bought a 50 inch Fujitsu Plasma. I waited until I could
> get an HD Tivo to start to use HD. When I installed it I could not use
> the DVI since my display did not support the HDCP standard (I guess it was
> not around 16 months ago). So I had to use component output. The picture
> looks great but I can not compare it to how it would look with DVI. But I
> have a couple of concerns:
>
> 1) I want to buy a Media Center PC which will probably want to use DVI
> HDCP output
> 2) Will the content companies who seem to be at war with their customers
> (meaning folks like us) be able to turn off the component output of my
> Tivo?
>
> I spent my career in the computer industry and while we were not that
> great at ease of use, we certainly had enough respect for our customers
> not to obsolete their equipment like this.
>
> So what do I do and is there any way around this problem.
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
October 27, 2004 3:07:49 AM

As far as your media center PC goes, I have never seen a video card with DVI
output that was HDCP enabled. This is probably because I have also never
seen a computer monitor with DVI input that was HDCP enabled. You shouldn't
have any problems.

I doubt that anybody will disable component output on your Tivo. Component
has got to be the #1 most common method of HDTV connection at this point.
It isn't recordable to a computer (thats what they worry about) without
spending many, many, thousands of dollars so there isn't really any reason
to disable it.

--Dan

!