At Start up I get the System 32 window

Pata

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001
Right now when I turn on the computer, and when everything is up and almost running, the window "System 32" shows up with all the files, folders and .dll's that are in it.
What is happening and how do I get it to stop?

one_winger

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
Pata,

Something is running at startup, obviously...

Do a Start -> Run... -> MSCONFIG, click the Startup tab, and you'll find a list of things that run at startup. Most likely something like:

HKLMSoftwareMicro...VersionRun explorer.exe %systemroot%system32
HKLMSoftwareMicro...VersionRun explorer.exe C:Windowssystem32

or similar. Uncheck the box, and restart. You'll get a message box about it, just uncheck the "Show this at startup", and click OK.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Pata

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001
I have tried that and the only thing that I see that could cause this is a program called NvCpl and every time I uncheck it and then reboot, it rechecks itself. Maybe it is something else.

one_winger

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
Fascinating...

Try a few more things...

Dig around in GPEDIT.MSC (the exact location of what you would want to change eludes me currently, I'm on a Linuxbox), you may find it there.

Alternatively, the whole "Remember my settings for each folder" dealie can cause that as well (I hate that setting anyway).

You can also try searching the registry for System32 (I know, it's a lot of results) to see what's there... you may try looking in HKCU only.

Good luck, let me know if this helps.

Cheers,

hollett

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
I have seen this happen before. It was a while ago but seen to remember that it was a incomplete entery in the run section of the registry.

Run regedit Start>Run>"Regedit">OK

Go to HKLM-Software-Microsoft-Windows-Current Verson-Run and look for any enteries on the right with a blank data value. delete that item and reboot the computer.

Remember to back up the registry before working on it