ah crud. My first BSOD since the build

<sarcasm> Nice </sarcasm> :x

So I was playing a game, the sims 2 seasons, so I guess my EVGA geforce 8800 GTS 640mb and Athlon 64 x2 5200+ and 2 gig of kingston value ram (I know, I know) powered by a 700 watt OCZ gamerXtream, can handle this with out breaking a sweat. After a while of playing, the game freezes for around 60 sec then comes back to respond. I decide to save and keep playing (probably corrupted the file doing this) then a few min later, it freezes again, blue screens and reboots! 8O

After XP pro reboots (which takes forever thanks to friggin zone alarm) It gives me the core dump info and ask if I want to report the problem.

I am guessing this may be a problem with seasons, but it just ticks me off that I am in this PC at nearly 1500 bucks and have a few more things I want to do to it (like a new 22" widescreen LCD) and its acting up.

I suppost I should hit up EA and find out whats going on. And yes, the 6pin PCI express powercord is plugged snuggly in.

Sorry. Just had to vent a little
3 answers Last reply
More about crud bsod build
  1. Is your heatsink seated correctly?Are you using a decent thermal compound for it?Touch the ram on the mb and see how warm it is.It sounds like a thermal issue.Take off the heatsink,clean all the paste off the cpu and hs.Re-apply thermal compound and reseat the heatsink.Hopefully it works.Goodluck.P.S.Use only the necessary amount of thermal paste.Too little and you overheat quickly.Too much and the same occurs only it takes a little longer.Yes you can use too much thermal paste.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
    EVGA NF4 SLI MB
    2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
    4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
    WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
    ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
    THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
    COOLERMASTER MINI R120
    3DMARK05 13,471
  2. Im fairly sure its not a heat issue, it was rather cool in the room I was playing in cool. But I will not rule it out. I have a boxed CPU so I guess it would be the normal amount of grease. Next time it happens, I will get the core dump code and post it. I am still suspecting a buggy game
  3. Try running something else stressful like another (more stressing) game, or 3dmark05/06
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Blue Screen Systems