Ati and the right motherboard?!?

underbyte18

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
For my new build, I am choosing amd x2. Right now I have planned out what I am going to buy. I already bought my samsung 22" 226bw (which is a kickass moniter) and I still need to buy the rest.

amd x2 5200+
ASRock ati motherboard am2
2x(512) g-skill ddr2 ram pc5300
160gb wd sata
pci wireless internet g card
and a wireless router...
and vista premium..

I already have a video card from my previous computer. It is a Radeon 9600xt. also I am buying vista premium upgrade from my college for only $70. Its a pretty good deal i think.

What I don't understand is that (from what I am told) is that If I use a amd mobo with a nvidea north bridge (or something like that) it will interfere or cut back potential if I have a ati card. I am trying to save money by not buying a new card. I played half-life 2 and doom 3 great with this one, so I don't plan on upgrading for a while. Also I am trying to find a good pci wireless network card and router. I don't know too much about them and Im not sure what to exactly buy. All in all, I will be spending about $850.00 on the parts. Right now Im not sure what case to get. I need something that is black with blue led's. I have already thought about the thermaltake armour but I am looking for something cheaper. ONE more thing is how big of a power supply do I need? I know it is a lot of questions...so good luck answering them all...if you got to this point. Thanks for reading this huge question! I'll repost the questions below

1)does an amd video card interfere with a nvideo mobo?
2)What would you reccimend for a pci wireless card and router?
3)How big of a power supply do I need?
4)what Is a good case that is black and blue leds under $100.00

thanks once again.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
1)Sorry you were told wrong.It's been proven just recently in fact that ATI and NVIDIA chipsets support each other.In fact,on some benchmarks an ATI chipset ran an NVIDIA card slightly better than an NVIDIA chipset and vice versa.In fact the only chipset to show a marked improvment in both cards was an INTEL chipset.Go figure eh.2)Go with D-Link wireless card and router.They are the easiest to setup and actually can be locked down nicely security wise.3)Get a 500wattor higher psu with 30amps on the 12 volt rail.4)Just look around.There are a million cases you can use.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
1. The only thing I can think of that would cause a problem is when you use dual video cards. SLI uses nVidia cards and ATI cards use crossfire. otherwise you can use either in any board.
2. No GOOD choices come to mind, I always use linksys because I get them free from my ISP.
3. I would say a good quality 500W PSU, a tier 2 would be fine.
4. Just find a cheap black case and add a couple blue fans. You can get them for $5 each.

underbyte18

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
Thanks for the replys. I have 2 huge nerd friends who say that if an ati card was run on an nvideo mobo, the potential would be cut %50. Myself it sounded like bull. Sounds like a made up number. At least I can relax.
The case problem is that I am really picky. I guess I will have to keep looking.

anticupidon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
1)does an amd video card interfere with a nvideo mobo?
2)What would you reccimend for a pci wireless card and router?
3)How big of a power supply do I need?
4)what Is a good case that is black and blue leds under $100.00

read
1.http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/04/04/does_chipset_to_gpu_matching_matter/
2.how much green do u have
3.http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/PSU-101-ftopict198276.html
4.choosing a case is easy or difficult .it's more easy when you know what are you looking for(good airflow specs mobo tray etc.) :wink:

anticupidon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I have 2 huge nerd friends who say that if an ati card was run on an nvideo mobo, the potential would be cut %50.
tell to your 2 nerd friends to spend more time reading tom's forums or to get proper info :twisted: ..misleading is easy guiding is a tough task :idea:

rickpcnerd

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
does an amd video card interfere with a nvideo mobo?

Absoulutly not! Both chipsets (Nvidia or ATi) supports eachother. U could use an ATI Card with a AMD Mobo with no performance decrease. By the way, some nvidia cards runs better on a Ati Mobo. The only problem using ATI Video Card on a Nvidia mobo will that wont support dual ati cards, only one. If u are planning upgrading Dual Card Cross Fire, a ATI Mobo is a must. Tell your nerd friends to research more because they are totally bad informed.

rickpcnerd

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
go with a better motherboard such as Asus, Sapphire, DFI, Abit, or Gigabyte. Good choice choosing AMD to save money. AMD are not bad, they still very fast for gaming, conroe is just little faster, AMD claims to recrown again with their new processor coming out this May along with new ATI Video Cards R600. They already tested a pre ATI R600 vs Nvidia 8800 GTX and ATI clearly beat nvidia in all game bench marks. All games looked better on ATi like always, And these pre R600 drivers were not optimized during bench marks. So these cards will be even much faster than Nvidia once optimized.

audioee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
I wouldn't be to worried about NVidia or ATI chipset support of the others video card. What I would be worried about is video card interface compatibility.

The video card you are using, Radeon 9600XT, appears to be AGP while the motherboard appears to be PCI-Express. You will want to double check compatibility before committing to the purchase of the ASRock Motherboard.

If you could give a model number for the motherboard, it would be helpful.

The only ASRock MB with AGP, AM2, DDR2 support is the NVidia NForce 3 250 based AM2NF3-VSTA. ASRock AM2NF3-VSTA

underbyte18

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
thanks for catching that. I am still kind of a noob when it comes to video cards. I will repost my video card in the forum to see if anyone else has recamandations to a motherboard.