Realist

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2005
I misplaced/lost/was careless with the CD's from my laptop. I now need to reinstall 2000 Pro 1-2 CPU. I have the serial number from the sticker on the bottom of the laptop from when it was new but I don't have the CD or Disks. Does anybody know where I can just buy the CD/Disks. I see W2k for sale everywhere but that is including the COA, which I already have. I don't want to spend any more than I have to. I did find a copy on e-bay but it wasn't 1-2 CPU and I wasn't sure and neither was the seller if my COA was good for it.

Any Ideas?

Contact your laptop manufacturer. For a fee, they will usually replace any CDs that came with your system... much cheaper than buying the whole OS over again.

You could also borrow a CD from someone else since you own a legal copy and copy it. As long as it's an OEM version and not retail or upgrade, it should work.

Microsoft may also sell you the CD without the product key since you don't need one... but I don't know how much they would charge.

Realist

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2005
I have a friend that has a dell that came with windows 2000, who I IM'd tonight and he will let me borrow his disk when I see him next, but he said that it came with the computer and says for use with a Dell only. Will it work?

Also Won't I need the disk for future use.? I remember with Win 98 sometimes when I would install software or drivers and such it would ask for the win 98 CD.

For installing drivers, you won't need the CD. If you wanted to install other languages or any extra Windows features you don't already have installed, you may need the CD. Just make yourself a copy and you'll be safe.

The Dell CD may work... is your laptop a Dell?

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I can say from experience that modern Dell CDs only work on Dells. I think it checks the BIOS of the computer or something before it will install.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Ever Win2000 IBM I've seen didn't come with the Windows CD - The complete Windows cd is on the hard drive. You can check one of your local PC repair or Surplus stores. They usually buy old equipment from business that have upgraded their hardware. They should have a copy, and will burn you one. I had to do this for a win98 disk ( I scratched my original), they copied one of theirs and only charged me $3.
If you don't have the cd key, which is not your computer's serial number, then google for a program called "jellybeans". It will return the cd-key of the system you're running it on.
Otherwise, you'll probably have to call IBM.