homunculus

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
How much hardware upgrading has to be done before microsoft begins giving you a hard time about re-registering windows xp? I have all new HDDs, a new pci firewire/usb card and all new RAM. What are the consequences of too much hardware upgrading when re-registering?

homunculus

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
If you do a fresh install, you might get lucky and not have to worry about calling Microsoft... you'll just have to re-activate.
and if your luck runs out? what does microsoft require to verify that the product key is yours?

If Windows won't activate, it will generate an Installation ID number. That is the number Microsoft will require if you have to activate over the phone. Once they verify the install ID is valid, they give you an activation code to enter and your copy of Windows will be activated.

Chances are though that if you haven't done more than 2 or 3 activations within the last 6 months, you'll be able to successfully activate Windows without having to phone MS. I recently did a complete upgrade with a product key that I've had for some time. (New motherboard, CPU and hard drive). Windows activated without issue.

homunculus

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
If Windows won't activate, it will generate an Installation ID number. That is the number Microsoft will require if you have to activate over the phone. Once they verify the install ID is valid, they give you an activation code to enter and your copy of Windows will be activated.

Chances are though that if you haven't done more than 2 or 3 activations within the last 6 months, you'll be able to successfully activate Windows without having to phone MS. I recently did a complete upgrade with a product key that I've had for some time. (New motherboard, CPU and hard drive). Windows activated without issue.
much appreciated. this is very helpful.