Can I use USB2 to download DV tapes from camcorder?

stratobuddy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
I am not all that technical, and would like some advice please. I have a DV camcorder that has a firewire connection, the instructions say to use this to transfer videos from the tapes to my PC. It also comes with a USB cable.

My PC does not have a Firewire connection. It is a Pentium 4, about 1800 speed (I think) running Windows XP home.

Can I transfer the tapes using USB2? If not, why not. If I can, how do I do it?

If I need to have a Firewire connection, is there an external one available that will connect to USB2?

Lots of Q's there, I hope someone can answer them, as I have filled up 5 DV tapes and need to download them to my PC so I can use them again soon, for a holiday in 10 days.

nickr336

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
You can not use USB 2.0 to transfer the video. It's all in the manual, just read everything. USB 2.0 connection is used to transfer still images and use your camera in "PC-Mode" or as a webcam. But don't take my word for it, and read, read, read... It's all in there.

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Most likely because your camera doesn't have the USB hardware inside. The cable that came with it is most likely a firewire cable (mini on one side and firewire a port on the other). Which camera is it?

EDIT: I should also add that although USB 2.0's speed is theoretically higher than FW400, it doesn't always mean that transferring over USB 2.0 will be faster than FW400. From what I've experienced with external disk enclosures, FW400 is a bit faster than USB 2.0.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Marketing and the way things are done that is why. There are some models that support transfer of video through USB but they are rare. Most only offer the firewire path.

I too was (unpleasantly) surprised when I bought my camcorder. Your only option (unless you want to go shopping for a new camcorder) is to do what I did :( : Get a firewire card. They cost around 10-20$ so it's not going to put a dent in your pocket

duzcizgi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
USB2 is "host activated" protocol, which means, its performance depends on your computers performance. So, slow CPU means slower speed on USB.
Firewire is "device activated" protocol. The camcorder is responsible for sending all the data correctly.

So, for high quality media streaming, Firewire requires less protocol and trasfer overhead than USB. This way, your computer hardware can compress the media on real time.

In theory, this is also possible on USB, but practically, it's not feasible. (You'll need a multiprocessor/multicore computer with a realtime OS running on it.)
I think this explains the facts pretty much. :wink:

EGrier

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I would also second duzcizgi's comment. Firewire is the way to go for DV transfer. You can get a firewire card over at www.newegg.com. I don't know what program you are going to use to transfer but there is a program that is called WinDV which is pretty good. It is simple and straight forward to use. Or you can just use Windows Movie Maker to transfer and edit your video. Make sure you have the hard drive space for those 5 tapes. DV takes up alot of space. (Like 13gb per hour of video).

Ethan

stratobuddy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
I've searched the link given, and googled - I've founds lots of Firewire cards to fit internally, but no external ones to connect to a USB2 port. I suspect they do not exist or are impossible to do (in view of the answers above) but can anyone confirm that they are NOT available, or give me a link to one if they are.

BTW I am not keen to open my PC and install an internal card if I can avoid it, as so many things are available externally these days.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&N=2010010073&PropertyCodeValue=1871%3A12432%2C1871%3A12433%2C1879%3A12456%2C1879%3A12460%2C1879%3A12452%2C1879%3A12458&bop=And&Order=RATING

Any of these will add firewire to your desktop thru a PCI card interface.

The Best one is out of stock, but this one seems fine:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815104218

have fun getting video off of your digital camcorder, im stuck in the analog era:(

Dont be afraid of opening your PC, its not hard to install a PCI card.

You should be able to open your case, remove the bracket, drop in the card, and close up your case in under a minute.