Whats going on with my temperatures?

Hedwirez

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Just built a new pc with an E4300 and a scythe infinity heat sink. Am trying to check my temperatures to make sure the heat sink is on properly but I am getting very strange readings with using speed fan and Core Temp.

Speed fan tells me I have:

Temp 1: 42
Temp 2: 12
Temp 3: -2
HD0: 38
Core 0: 18
Core 1: 15

Core Temp on the other hand says:

TJunction: 100
Core 0: 34
Core 1: 32

The 100 degrees reading worries me quite a lot, is it possible that my heat sink isnt mounted right or am I just getting crazy readings?

Hedwirez

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Thanks for the reassurance. I read the sticky and understand a bit more but still dont really get where each temp is coming from and which ones I should look out for. Im assuming the -2 is nothing to do with any real temperature for example.

Travisty2012

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
Just built a new pc with an E4300 and a scythe infinity heat sink. Am trying to check my temperatures to make sure the heat sink is on properly but I am getting very strange readings with using speed fan and Core Temp.

Speed fan tells me I have:

Temp 1: 42
Temp 2: 12
Temp 3: -2
HD0: 38
Core 0: 18
Core 1: 15

Core Temp on the other hand says:

TJunction: 100
Core 0: 34
Core 1: 32

The 100 degrees reading worries me quite a lot, is it possible that my heat sink isnt mounted right or am I just getting crazy readings?

What motherboard are you using?

I just built an E4300 with a ASUS P5W DH Deluxe and Core Temp reported my TJunction at 100 as well. This is an error...it's not reporting anything as that number will never change under load or idle...

The SpeedFan core 0/1 temps are being reported 15 degrees too low. Add 15 and they'll look close to what Core Temp is saying and what TAT will probably say.

I'm not sure what your Tcase is? It shouldn't be higher than your cores at idle so it's not the 42 thats being reported. The other temps are below ambient so I don't know what's going on...

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
TAT and possibly coretemp have issues with reading too high on your settup. I have the same mainboard and CPU. That 100C your seeing is the Tjunction Max temp. And it should be 85C not 100C. It is static value that is used in the formula for figuring out other temp, t-case or something, I forget what. But, when it (TAT for sure)uses 100C instead of 85C you get temps that are 15C too high. But I must admit that your Core Temp temps seem more realistic. What version are you using? Maybe they fixed it??!!?!!

Wether its an issue of L2 stepping, or allendale cores, or just the DS3 rev 3.3, it is a known issue and I wish the temp guide would get updated to reflect this issue. Lots of people are being led to believe, as I was, that thier temps are too high when they arent. Or at least thier temps are about 15C higher then they really are, good or bad.

My understanding is that the Tjunction max value of 100C is reserved for mobil processors or processors without IHS's. Something like that. Maybe someone more knowledgable than myself can elaborate.

Once just to be very clear, I am no expert on this stuff, I have only been using TAT and SpeedFan. But what I know of this issues is from my own experience and what I have been reading lately. I dont use Core Temp. But have been reading that it now suffers from the same issue as TAT. And keep in mind that these programs read correctly on the majority of settups. Just not on mine. At least thats what I hear.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Opinions have been offered while no one has yet thought to ask you for your Variables (such as Vcore). From the Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide:

Background

...when expressing Idle & Load test results, it's also necessary to define the variables such as:

Tcase = Idle & Load
Tjunction = Idle & Load, Hottest Core

Ambient = Room Temp
Chipset = Model
C2D = Model
CPU Cooler = Model
Frequency = CPU Clock
Load = Test Program
Motherboard = Model
Vcore = CPU Voltage

Results

Tcase (Motherboard Utilities) = 30c Idle, 50c Load (SpeedFan: CPU or Temp X)
Tjunction (TAT) Hottest Core = 45c Idle, 65c Load (SpeedFan: Core 0 / Core 1)

Variables

Ambient = 22c
Chipset = 975X
C2D = E6600
CPU Cooler= AC Freezer 7 Pro
Frequency = 3.6 Ghz
Load = TAT @ 100% 10 minutes
Motherboard = Asus P5W DH
Vcore = 1.45

Text explanations are helpful, but complete information is required in order to provide an accurate analysis. When asking for help, please consider this aspect by Testing as shown in the Guide, then providing Results and Variables, also as shown.

Thanks,

Comp 8)

Hedwirez

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Hmm this is all a bit beyond me but I will have a go at a few of the things.

TCase = Idle & Load
No idea how to get the measurement for this, Temp 2 on speed fan is registered at 17 so I would assume this is it for idle.

Tjunction = Idle & Load, Hottest Core
Core temp gives idle at 37 and 35, speedfan is 15 below this. I dont know which the real value is, the core temp ones seem a lot more realistic.

Ambient = No ideas assuming only about 1 or 2 degrees below, case as it is well ventilated.

Chipset = Youve lost me on this one
C2D = Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 (Conroe 2M)
CPU Cooler - Scythe Infinity
Frequency = 1809Mhz (301.5x6) Left as default, not overclocked
Load =
Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-965p-DS3
CPU Voltage = Default again, will have to check value.

Thats all I have so far will try and be back with a proper test under full load.

Hedwirez

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Using TAT I got some numbers under full load.
Core temperatures given by different programs where:

Tat - 57,55
Core Temp - 60,57
Speed Fan 45, 42

Temp 1 in speed fan was 49 and Temp 2, 39. I still have no idea what these signal. As far as I can tell my computer is in no danger but that said 60 degrees with no overclock is pretty warm and I wouldnt mind bringing it down a bit.