Sign in with
Your question

Upload speed is bricked

Tags:
  • Download
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
February 11, 2007 2:13:45 PM

So Im on a college network, and Im using the speakeasy speed test http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and as expected my download speed is around 10mb but my upload speed is running an atrocious 60k when it should be getting atleast 1.5mb. Keep in mind im not running any other bandwidth programs in the background, only Norton-Antivirus and Daemon and thats it. My motherboard has dual 10/100/1000 LAN and for a long time I had one disabled because you can't use both on the same connection. I recently enabled the other because of this problem, and it seems to have helped by download speed but done nothing to my upload. Finally, I asked a rep to my college tech help desk and he says my name is not on the list of people who are being bandwidth limited.

I really got no idea whats causing this. Any help would be appreciated.

More about : upload speed bricked

February 13, 2007 5:46:19 PM

NORTON is proably kill your connection, it may be scanning your uplink files.

I will not run NORTON at all. It just kills a pc performance. Move to Comodo FW and AVIRA AV for a low overhead.
February 15, 2007 8:23:45 PM

Can you try another NIC? I had the reverse issue (500 mbs upload, and 135 mbs download :x ) and it turnet out my NIC was bad.[/b]
February 27, 2007 4:36:50 PM

I am having a similar problem on a dialup line with verizon to the ISP NetZero.net. Verizon (God help em) tells me that they don't guarantee anything with dialup and the line tests fine for voice. I can't find a way to talk to a person at NetZero. Download speed (measured with speakeasy) is about 14 KBPS and up is 102 KBPS.

Bill Williamson
bill-at-wwilliam-dot-com
!