Overcome media-protection!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viceroy7

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
8) Hi all!
As far as I know, iTunes music is copyright protected! What about using a special converter to overcome this stupid protection? I tried SoundTaxi and stay pleased cauze of nice rezults :)

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
The real answer here is to not support a company who treats it's customers as criminals from the beginning. I am assuming you have an iPod of some sort, try a different, freer music store and use a different, untethered program to load your iPod, like WinAMP + MI-pod or, for the *nix user, gtkpod for the gnome/xfce/etc user or kpod if you use KDE. Or, for the tripleplay, just go with Yamipod.

Viva la revolution!

Edit: typos and more info

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
That's a fine avenue for music you already have, but if you continue to buy from Apple you continue to reward them for treating you like a criminal. Sorry, I just feel very passionately about the subject.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
That's a fine avenue for music you already have, but if you continue to buy from Apple you continue to reward them for treating you like a criminal. Sorry, I just feel very passionately about the subject.

I agree with you 100% about Apple and every other software company including record labesl and movie studeos that won't allow fair use. I'm buying this stuff not renting the way they think it should be. That's why programs like this are so important. Just wanted to let him know there is a way to convert iTunes.

I completely agree with both of you... however if there weren't so many people that took advantage... there wouldn't be a problem.

Now, I don't believe that piracy is a big problem in North America... or at least not as big as these companies would like us to believe it is. However, it is a problem that can't be completely ignored either. It is all the pirates that ruin it for the rest of us. It's easy to blame the big companies with all the money... but we can't hold them 100% responsible.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
True but on the other hand companies are moving work to contires that always rank high on pirating, e..g, China and Russia. They do this to save money, which is their right, but don't belly ache about piracy if your going to sleep with the pirates. Lowering prices and allowing computer software to be installed on 3 or 4 machines for home users would go a long way to cutting down on piracy. I think most people would prefer to run legal software if it were less expensive and they didn't feel they were getting screwed. Nearly $100 for XP OEM is outrageous. $100 for use on 3 computers is reasonable.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
It is completely within the realm of possibilty to limit vehicles comming from the factory to be sold in the US to top out at 80 MPH (giving an extra 10MPH for passing). This would prevent people from egriegiously speeding, but think of the public outcry if this were implemented. Also note that this is a much more liberal parallel than DRM, a more accurate example would be putting a system in place that would detect the current speed limit and adjust the max speed to correlate to the current speed limit.

Another example would be canned foods that would only be able to be opened on a specific can opener because there were some marketing deals worked out between Campbell's and Black and Decker. Also imagine if there's a law that prevents you from bypassing this "protection scheme" even if you just want to eat the food. Google DMCA and you'll see it's already here for electronic devices.

Don't buy into the "We're just protecting the musicians' profits" either, the pittance they get from record/online sales through iTunes is pathetic. DRM is just a legislated scheme to protect an outdated business model. If you really want to support your favorite artist, buy some schwag from them or go and see a show.

/steps from soapbox

Oh believe me, I hear you. As rich as the artists are, it's nothing compared to how rich the labels are. You don't pay someone millions of dollars unless you're making billions yourself.

I don't like it any more than anyone else does. It sucks being treated like you're stealing even when you own a legitimate copy of anything. There's been a few times that I wish I could have made backups of copy protected media that was damaged.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Actually, most of today's cars come with speed limiters. I mean limiting someone to 135 mph :evil: But your right. The only thing hopefull is that mega corporations have conflicting interest over this stuff. Imagine Sony, their movie and music divisions want DRM but their hard ware side want to sell recorders, which are tough to push if there's nothing to record. It's got to get expensive buying off politicians on both sides of an issue.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Right, I'm (keenly) aware of speed and rev limiters (as I've had both removed from my less-than-street-legal 98 Z28) but I was trying to illustrate with very restrictive ones. I know there's little value to this post, just wanted to show that I know more than just PC's and that I have a nice car for a college kid;)

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Right, I'm (keenly) aware of speed and rev limiters (as I've had both removed from my less-than-street-legal 98 Z28) but I was trying to illustrate with very restrictive ones. I know there's little value to this post, just wanted to show that I know more than just PC's and that I have a nice car for a college kid;)

Post on cars always have some value. At least if your arguing about the speed and performance of cars, you can take them out somewhere and settle it head to head. Removing the speed limiter I can understand but not sure I'd do it with the rev limiter. I've it mine often enough I would have likely blown the engine with out it.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
During some reprogramming during the installation of cams/heads they asked if I still wanted that set, I have never hit it nor plan on testing it, I guess it was just a "why not" response. I do agree that in many instances the rev limiter is a good thing, I just would be scared to see my car push it :) even red-line in my car is somewhat terrifying.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
That Z28 has a lot of power and definitely have to be careful when pushing it, right time, right place, and sober. Definitely can get a rush pushing a car with that much raw power. I have an RSX Type S so it takes me longer to get up hgher speeds. I usually scare myself in the twisties.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Going in a straight line is pretty much what muscle cars are designed to do. I've done some autocrossing and it's pretty amazing how well muscle cars can handle if the dirver knows what he/she is doing. I've driven a couple autocrossing a few times and I defintely didn't know what I was doing in a really high powere car with loads of torque. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.