Sign in with
Your question

Building a new gaming machine. Help me pick some parts

Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2007 3:09:51 PM

Im looking for some part suggestions for my new gaming rig.

Motherboard - Unknown - either 680LT or 680I SLI board - not sure which tho is the best for the buck

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz

Power Supply - Antec true power 600w (already have)

Memory - Unknown - 2 x 1gig. Not sure what brand or speed to get

Video card - Unknown - 8800gts - not sure which brand and wether to buy an already OC'd card.

Hard Drive - Raptor 150g

I need some help picking a motherboard, memory, and brand of video card. I will be doing mild overclocking, getting the processor a tad over 3.0ghz. SO i need Ram that will handle this as well a very stable motherboard.

Can someone suggest a good build for what i want? The cheaper the better, but i still want quiality peices.
April 5, 2007 3:17:51 PM

Any particular reason for a 680i? They're great boards but unless you want SLi you can get comparable non-SLi for cheaper.

G.Skill makes decent and cheap memory. Also good are Corsair, OCZ, Mushkin, Kingston, Geil, Patriot extreme, Team Group, to name a few. DDR2-800 is what you need for decent OCing.

8800GTS is a great card, the 320mb version is all you need if you're at 1280x1024 or lower. Higher, and you should consider 640. EVGA and XFX are my favs. Factory overclocked isn't really worth it unless they're only a few bucks more expensive, you can just OC yourself.

Raptors are way overrated and not worth it in most cases IMO, but if you want to pay for it...

Price drops coming on CPUs on April 22 if you want to wait that long.
April 5, 2007 3:18:26 PM

Hey, I can offer limited advice based on what I've been advised and what I've learned over the last few days.

This G.Skill RAM is advised to people again and again so far, and everyone seems to love it.

As for your questions on video card brands, I've been finding that XFX and BFG are real popular, but don't know much beyond that. Also won't be of much help on a motherboard except to say that with an 8800gts you probably won't need sli.
Related resources
April 5, 2007 3:28:14 PM

i like the overclockability ive seen on the Nvidia 6 series MB's

As for memory, is it worth it to get a 1000mhz chip over the standard 800 for overclocking? I usually get Cosiar or OCZ, but will look at the gskill

I currently run 1900X1200 on my 7800gt, so i would definatly want the 640mb cards

I have a 72g raptor at the moment and just have grown fond of it. I play mostly MMORPG (wow) and figured might help with the game as it does have alot of HD activity when i currently play. If it wont help me at all, i will save some money and buy my second Video card :) 

as for waiting, i cant. I been putting off building a new PC for 6 months and i need some more speed.

If anyone has a similiar combo i am looking at that runs very stable and has great OC ability, post up what you have. I absolutley hate unstable components when building a PC.

Thanks for the help guys, keep it comming. I will looking into the Gskill. Have always heard good things, but never purchased any myself. How well does their 800 speed chips OC?

was thinking someone here might have a similiar combo and could suggest one. I prob should ask these more technical questions in the hardware forums (memory, MB, etc).
April 5, 2007 3:39:05 PM

A good P965 board like the Gigabyte DS3 on par with the 680i in overclocking. Both will reach FSB speeds far faster than your CPU can take at its highest multiplier anyway.

It's definitely not worth it in most cases to get 1000mhz memory. You'd need some major cooling to even run 800mhz memory on an e6600, because that's 3.6GHz. Besides, you could just run the 800mhz over spec anyway and loosen the timings a little. Anyway, unless you want over 4GHz, which would be VERY difficult to achieve, DDR2-800 is all you need.

If you have a lot of HD activity when playing games, something's not right, such as the game using the page file on the hard drive. If you've got 2GB of RAM on XP, you shouldn't have to use the hard drive in games (except for loading it up of course). The $200+ on the Raptor would be better spent elsewhere.
April 5, 2007 4:00:46 PM

Quote:
A good P965 board like the Gigabyte DS3 on par with the 680i in overclocking. Both will reach FSB speeds far faster than your CPU can take at its highest multiplier anyway.

It's definitely not worth it in most cases to get 1000mhz memory. You'd need some major cooling to even run 800mhz memory on an e6600, because that's 3.6GHz. Besides, you could just run the 800mhz over spec anyway and loosen the timings a little. Anyway, unless you want over 4GHz, which would be VERY difficult to achieve, DDR2-800 is all you need.

If you have a lot of HD activity when playing games, something's not right, such as the game using the page file on the hard drive. If you've got 2GB of RAM on XP, you shouldn't have to use the hard drive in games (except for loading it up of course). The $200+ on the Raptor would be better spent elsewhere.

Thanks Jeff. Part of the reason i am rebuilding is because my current system is too flaky for me lately. Alot of crashes and i cant figure out why. PI test for 8 hours with no errors. Memtest for 12 hours with no error, ran multiple HD checks using WD software, no errors. Reloaded windows XP 4 times in a 2 week time period, loaded latest drivers ect. still has issues. I moved up to Vista just to see what would happen and it got a lot better, but still refuses to boot into windows once or twice a week. SO that may be causing my HD activity during game play. I have 2g or memory and even with my game running (not multi-tasking) and i barely get over 1g even with vista.

Even so, its time to retire this San Diego 4000+ processor for a new E6600 Conroe, so i need the new Mobo and ram anyways.

I see you have the EVGA board - would you replace it witht eh Gigabyte DS3 if you had to do it over agian? or would you stick with the 680i?
April 5, 2007 11:41:45 PM

P965 wins stability. No contest. 680i & 650i still have some issues to be ironed out. 680i is getting there. 650i seems to go no higher than 475mhz fsb. Hopefully, new bios updates will improve.

As for ram, either of these will o/c like there's no tomorrow:

F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ
FSX1000D2C-K2G

It boils down to the chips used in memory. If they're micron d9, they o/c the best cuz they can take more heat & voltage than others. When you o/c the ram, you up the ram voltage a little bit until it's stable in mem test.

The memory frequency like cpu frequency doesn't mean the ram/cpu can only run at said speed. It's called binning: the manufacturer takes the time to test the ram/cpu until it's stable & they give it a speed rating. Us overclockers have plenty of time on our hands so we'll get the potential out of the parts.

Yes, most ram can go beyond their specs. How much is the question.
!