razortonguekiss

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
aight mayn,

buildin a new comp.... gun used an X2 3800 65W (cuz I dun wanna buy an after-market fan, and want a cooler CPU, dun play much with OC), gun get 2 GB of cas4 DDR2, and a mobo with SLI MCP 590 nVidia chipset... so my question is about the hard drives...

I'ma use RAID0 for the performance, but don't have the money to get a whole bunch of 320 or 250 GB drives...

was thinkin bout gettin 4 80GB, 8MB buffer 7200 RPM.... two for a windows parition, two for programs.... and a single large HD for storage

would it be a sin to get hard drives with only 8 MB cache, considerin it'll be in RAID0?

also... what if I only got two 250 GB drives with 16 MB caache.... I would imagine I'd lose a lil performance by puttin windows AND programs\games\everythin not windows on the same hard drives, different partitions

right now I jus have a 120, 250, and a 320 - for windows, programs, and storage respectively. theres really not much of a noticeable dip in performance when I surf, unrar a large 4 gig file, and play a game - everything on its own device. would this be the case with different partitoins, but the same RAID0 drive?

really jus lookin for recommendations, tryn not to break $250-300 on hard drives, but I've seen the beauty of RAID and now I'm thirsting for it on my main rig

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
aight mayn,

buildin a new comp.... gun used an X2 3800 65W (cuz I dun wanna buy an after-market fan, and want a cooler CPU, dun play much with OC), gun get 2 GB of cas4 DDR2, and a mobo with SLI MCP 590 nVidia chipset... so my question is about the hard drives...

I'ma use RAID0 for the performance, but don't have the money to get a whole bunch of 320 or 250 GB drives...

was thinkin bout gettin 4 80GB, 8MB buffer 7200 RPM.... two for a windows parition, two for programs.... and a single large HD for storage

would it be a sin to get hard drives with only 8 MB cache, considerin it'll be in RAID0?

also... what if I only got two 250 GB drives with 16 MB caache.... I would imagine I'd lose a lil performance by puttin windows AND programs\games\everythin not windows on the same hard drives, different partitions

right now I jus have a 120, 250, and a 320 - for windows, programs, and storage respectively. theres really not much of a noticeable dip in performance when I surf, unrar a large 4 gig file, and play a game - everything on its own device. would this be the case with different partitoins, but the same RAID0 drive?

really jus lookin for recommendations, tryn not to break $250-300 on hard drives, but I've seen the beauty of RAID and now I'm thirsting for it on my main rig
KSJHKQWD AUSA ASIHUA AQIQIE OPTW L;LFK S823810. GL :)

Fast_Fingers

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
aight mayn,

Translation to English from AOLer:

Hello nerds,

I'm building a new PC. I am going to use an AMD 3800 X2 65W CPU, and I want to buy an aftermarket fan for it (?) since I want it to be as cool as possible...I'm not much an overclocker. I will also get 2GB of (DDR2) RAM with CAS 4 timings, and a mobo based on the Nvidia 590 Chipset, for its SLi capabilities. This is all decided. I have questions on hard drives:

I am planning to use RAID 0 with small drives, since I don't have enough money for multiple 250 or 320GB ones. That's why I plan on having an expansive array of 4 80GB drives...2 will hold the OS, and the other 2 for programs (and data), then a big separate drive for data. Would it seriously affect performance if I used 8MB instead of 16MB cache drives?

As a hypothetical, what if I used 250GB drives with 16MB cache in RAID 0? I'm assuming there'd be a performance hit, with Windows and Programs in separate partitions (?).

Now, I have a 120GB, a 250GB, and a 320GB drive. They are used respectively for the OS, Programs, and Data. I'm experiencing good performance. Would this be the case with RAID 0 with only two drives?

I want RAID within my $250-350 budget in my main rig. I've seen it and it's making me drool.

Answers:
1. You probably want a CPU cooler with an aftermarket fan. If you want your chip to be as cool as possible, and you are sure it can fit in your case, try this. For the fan, consult this.

2. Anything on the speed of the memory? That has a bigger impact than latencies. I'd recommend DDR2-800's, like these ones.

3. To be honest, I don't think you'll see that much regarding RAID 0 performance. It is just 15% at the very most in real world results (with Raptors), and with all the extra heat you are generating with the extra drives, combined with the greatly increased chance for catastrophic failure make it not worth it to use it for everything.

If you want the nerdiness, do the RAID 0 on the OS...it'll speed up startup times. Fixing it when it'll fail will be a pain though...you'll basically have to reconstruct the whole thing from scratch, from the OS install to the array creation.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
so why did you feel the need to talk like that, moron.

why are you using a athlon, it will let down your system. get a c2d

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
although your right, there is nothing wrong with athlons, there is nothing right about them when in comparison, ie price/performance

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
aight mayn,
also... what if I only got two 250 GB drives with 16 MB caache.... I would imagine I'd lose a lil performance by puttin windows AND programs\games\everythin not windows on the same hard drives, different 3partitions

Translation to English from AOLer:

Hello nerds,

I'm building a new PC. I am going to use an AMD 3800 X2 65W CPU, and I want to buy an aftermarket fan for it (?) since I want it to be as cool as possible...I'm not much an overclocker. I will also get 2GB of (DDR2) RAM with CAS 4 timings, and a mobo based on the Nvidia 590 Chipset, for its SLi capabilities. This is all decided. I have questions on hard drives:

I am planning to use RAID 0 with small drives, since I don't have enough money for multiple 250 or 320GB ones. That's why I plan on having an expansive array of 4 80GB drives...2 will hold the OS, and the other 2 for programs (and data), then a big separate drive for data. Would it seriously affect performance if I used 8MB instead of 16MB cache drives?

As a hypothetical, what if I used 250GB drives with 16MB cache in RAID 0? I'm assuming there'd be a performance hit, with Windows and Programs in separate partitions (?).

Now, I have a 120GB, a 250GB, and a 320GB drive. They are used respectively for the OS, Programs, and Data. I'm experiencing good performance. Would this be the case with RAID 0 with only two drives?

I want RAID within my $250-350 budget in my main rig. I've seen it and it's making me drool.

Answers:
1. You probably want a CPU cooler with an aftermarket fan. If you want your chip to be as cool as possible, and you are sure it can fit in your case, try this. For the fan, consult this.

2. Anything on the speed of the memory? That has a bigger impact than latencies. I'd recommend DDR2-800's, like these ones.

3. To be honest, I don't think you'll see that much regarding RAID 0 performance. It is just 15% at the very most in real world results (with Raptors), and with all the extra heat you are generating with the extra drives, combined with the greatly increased chance for catastrophic failure make it not worth it to use it for everything.

If you want the nerdiness, do the RAID 0 on the OS...it'll speed up startup times. Fixing it when it'll fail will be a pain though...you'll basically have to reconstruct the whole thing from scratch, from the OS install to the array creation.
Thanks for the translation...Yeah i was being a bitch with my reply, but i don't think he put much effort into his post. :wink: Good recommendations too...

1. No doubt about it, the Ultra-120 is the best HS/F going, but if he's not too interested in overclcoking, the AC Freezer 64 Pro is a lot cheaper, and will cool well....and not have to worry if it'll fit in his case.

2. DDR2-800 for sure, if your budget will allow. AM2 Athlon's really like the asynchronous (higher RAM speed than HTT speed)RAM speed.

3. RAID is basically a calculated risk. With Raptors it's worth considering(as their failure rates are lower), but with the amount of hard-drives that are dying within months lately...kinda risky. Using a 4-drive RAID 0 just compounds the probability of failure/problems. The 8/16MB cache won't make a serious difference. I wouldn't RAID 0 the 250GB drives...keep it to lower-capacity drives, that way if you do lose your array, you won't(potentially) lose as much data.

GL :)

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
You might want to check that statement again. Until April 22, AMD still leads in the low end.
And I doubt they will drop the leadership there, since right now, before even the AMD price cuts, there are already three X2s below the $100 mark (X2 3600+, 3800+ and 4200+).

razortonguekiss

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
not gettin c2d due to the price... would rather jus get a x2 3800 now and cop a quad core when they come out... although the bus speed will prolly be reduced, think I'll live.

definately gettin ddr2 800, like I said... cas 4 latency. gettin stock cooler cuz dun have the extra money to spend, and although I realize stock cooler isn't the most efficient... it works, especially wit a non-oc X2 3800 mayn... plus plannin on puttin couple of 120 mm fans in the case so

guess I'll jus play around wit it and see what happens, not worried too much bout data loss... gunna keep everythin real important and safe ona backup disk so.

thanks for everyone who replied somethin useful. appreciated.

so why did you feel the need to talk like that, moron.

ionno if that was to me but... maybe I'll grip my second language a lil better in the future, but not after pissin people like you off first.