WtFudgE

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
OK I'm pretty fucked, here's my situation:

I have 2 IDE hd & 1 SATA, my 2 IDE are split into two partitions, the first partition is my Windows OS, 2nd partition is a SUSE linux OS. 2nd hd, 2 data partitions, and my sata, the biggest hd of em all, only has data, A LOT. And my most important data, schooldocs, installers, movies, pics, music, everything.

Now i have this organisation for years now, never had any probs, and for some reason I suddenly started getting errors on my SATA hd (H: btw).

Error 1:
http://users.telenet.be/i_dislike_mushrooms/error1.JPG

I can open my H: disk, but here's where the story ends, when i try selecting something I get this error:

Error 2:
http://users.telenet.be/i_dislike_mushrooms/error2.JPG

For some reason it just doesn't recognize the disk anymore.
I tried formatting my pc (not that this is a solution, but it was needed :p)
Sometimes I can select a map and open a file, but then it's start erroring again and i can't do shit anymore.

When I use my linux, it can still open my H hd and use the files... (although it's a bit slower than usual)

Please, I mean really, pleeeeaaaase, is there any way I can fix this?
If I lose these files I'm sooo fucked.

Thanks so much

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you can access the files on H using Linux and the files are that imporant, I'd get an external hdd and use Lenux to copy to the external drive. Then I'd screw around trying to get Windows to read the files on he H dirve. If all else fails, you can format H and if the files are backed up on the external hdd, you can just copy them back to H. Suggest you use more imaginative language. Not that I don't use the word, just don't think it's good to use this language on an open forum because your likely to offend some people and there is no reason to be offensive. :D

Looks like the driver for your hard drive controller is either corrupted or needs updating. First thing I'd do is update your motherboard's BIOS and then run and grab the latest drivers for your HD controller. It's also possible the controller is failing... but you won't know for sure until you get everything updated and ensure the driver isn't corrupted.

PlainBen

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Oy vey, maybe your hard drive went caput?

Do you have something like SpinRite, it might be able to fix it.

Then, run and buy new drives.

If you think that there is a problem, don't use the drive anymore at all. Switch to rescue mode. Because if there's some bad places in it, and the drive doesn't know about it, it might try to use the bad sectors and things will get worse.

Please tell us what you ended up doing. It would be interesting what helped. Thanks

WtFudgE

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
Well, I ended up buying an external hd, copying all my files from my other IDE disks to this external hd, then I copied all files from my corrupted hd to m y other IDE disks in linux, because copying straight to my external hd was also impossible. And then I formatted the disk, so at the moment it's all running fine again. :)

PlainBen

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
There might still be some defects on the drive, that have not been healed, and that might become worse. (by then you might not be able to recover the data).

The reason it's working now, is because the modern drives have built in technology to (so called) avoid the bad areas. The operating system doesn't complain, doesn't care, and doesn't take care of these problems.

That's why I recommended you scan it with SpinRite. (see http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm) (I know it's not free. I'm not affiliated with them).

Good luck