Your question

What option will you choose?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in CPUs
April 5, 2007 3:48:23 PM

Hello

I will build a system for my friend by the end of this month after the price slash. My friend is not a gamer. All he uses a pc is for his daily acitivites such as online banking, copying cds , dvds, and so on. I am given a budget of $ 1000 . i also can use hd, optical drives , case and monitor from the old system. Having just said, i have come up with two options.

1.) go with 6320 , 6420 or 4420 ( i am not so sure of the number). get a very good after market cpu and chipset cooler. I will overclock heavily to reach to 2.5 or 3.0 ghz.

2.) or i simply go with 6600. i will overclock to reach 2.5 or 3.0 on stock cooling. In other words, i will overclock as far as it can go on stock cooling but no more than 3.0.

Even though i have an ample budget, i do not want to spend on sth that i do not need.Please tell me what would you do if you were in this situation. I have my own choice, but i want to know if i am with the flow.

Thanks.

P.S. Please assume that i have chosen all the other parts such as psu, mb, ram , gpu,etc.

More about : option choose

April 5, 2007 3:51:18 PM

If you don't get the response you want here you may wish to try the overclocking forum, they might better know the limits of the CPU's.
April 5, 2007 3:53:12 PM

No point wasting money on a higher clocked chip like the 6600 for his purposes. But why overclock at all? Stock speeds would be plenty fast enough for what it sounds like he'd be doing.
Related resources
April 5, 2007 4:00:22 PM

Quote:
No point wasting money on a higher clocked chip like the 6600 for his purposes. But why overclock at all? Stock speeds would be plenty fast enough for what it sounds like he'd be doing.

I know. i want to make the best use of the cpu. Thanks for the reply though.
April 5, 2007 4:38:20 PM

If those are his uses... dang just go with the AMD's X2... dirt cheap and more than enough CPU power.

And unless you're buying a large screen monitor... $1000 is too much money - IMO. Better off spending about $500-600.
April 5, 2007 5:19:42 PM

Quote:

Totally correct. All those choices are overkill for such limited modest use.

Some things worth spending on for such modest use:

A 2nd hard drive and automatic backupsoftware.

A 3rd or 4th hard drive for massive video storage. (and a case fan if not already!)

A nicer monitor? This is a fun thing to have after all. And/or a 2nd monitor. After having 2 monitors for a while, I have to say it's one of the most rewarding buys.

More than just minimum security software, and a paid subscription. There's a good use of money when you have such a generous budget.
April 5, 2007 8:09:20 PM

Quote:
I will build a system for my friend by the end of this month after the price slash. My friend is not a gamer. All he uses a pc is for his daily acitivites such as online banking, copying cds , dvds, and so on. I am given a budget of $ 1000 . i also can use hd, optical drives , case and monitor from the old system. Having just said, i have come up with two options.

Put together for him a $300 System with a X2 3600+ instead of an E6600 and I bet he will never notice the difference with what he does (stopwhatches and benchmarks excluded) :wink:
April 5, 2007 8:59:16 PM

1) But the Cheapest or near cheapest C2D Duo. Most likely the E4300.

It's cheap and will do whatever he needs at stock.
It can provide the power with an EZ overclock if he ever decides he needes it.

Start with an OC to 2.4 Ghz which will increase the FSB from 200 to 266.
This will help lessen any FSB issues with the slow default FSB.

2) Make his system recoverable. As others have posted, get a 2nd HDD and a copy of Ghost or similar program. Ghost his Main HDD to the 2nd and show him how to do a resstore as well as how to create additional Images over time. This should leave plenty of room for file backups as well.

Make the HDDs bigger than what he needs since he has spare cash.
(Note: RAID 1 will not help if he hoses the system and still require lots of work to get system back running again. RAID 1 only protects against hardware failure, not Software or Human failures.)

3) Consider Acoustics - Make the PC relatively quiet if Possible. A Nice PSU would go a long way hear as well as a modestly priced after market CPU Cooler.

4) Don't blow money on an expensive GPU, but might as well as toss in something like a 7600GT for about $100 in case he ever gets the urge to try something.

5) Don't over-look little things that may be useful - LightScribe on the DVD Writer, A memory Card reader for making getting pictures from his camera easier.............
April 5, 2007 9:02:36 PM

I won't argue with the AMD chip, but forget the $300 system.
Make it a nice system since his friend is willing to spend the money.

Nice Case, Nice PSE, 2nd HDD, Memory Card Readers, etc.. etc....

Personally I would do the C2D since cost is not a concern here and if the friend ever decides to use the system heavy, more power is there.

If going for a $300 System, get a DELL or something.
If you build it, they will come..........

for support over and over and over again until you are old and grey :>
April 5, 2007 9:15:41 PM

I know; that was just to make him understand that the CPU was outbalancing the system.
Your analysis is pretty good; one should spend money on the components he really benefits from. For example, in my case, I really need the best CPU I can afford for rendering and all the rest is the minimum comfortable; 80GB HDD, a crappy FX5200 etc :wink:
April 5, 2007 9:18:09 PM

Hello

Thank you for all your responses and comments.

I understand why some people tell me to go with cheap amd processor or 300 $ system. I appreciate your comments.

In this case, money is not the problem. i have 1000 budget. I know his daily tasks can be done with a decent processor. But , since he is willing to spend that much money and continuous decline of processor price, i would surely go with c2d 6420 or 6600. I am not wasting his money. i can get it done for under 600 $ after april price slash. He will get what he pays for. Besides, i have a plan to oc to 2.5 or 3.0. He will appreciate me when he rips dvds, cds, and faster overall system response. He will have an option to go quad cores later if he likes.

Thank you once again for all responses.

Bye.
April 5, 2007 9:23:37 PM

Quote:
Hello

I understand why some people tell me to go with cheap amd processor or 300 $ system. I appreciate your comments.

In this case, money is not the problem. i have 1000 budget. I know his daily tasks can be done with a decent processor. But , since he is willing to spend that much money and continuous decline of processor price, i would surely go with c2d 6420 or 6600. I am not wasting his money. i can get it done for under 600 $ after april price slash. He will get what he pays for. Besides, i have a plan to oc to 2.5 or 3.0. He will appreciate me when he rips dvds, cds, and faster overall system response. He will have an option to go quad cores later if he likes.

Bye.

I have yet to hear a compelling argument for going 6400 or 6300... instead of 4300. When overclocked, which is what your doing, there will very marginal differences in everyday use (if any at all).
April 5, 2007 9:24:03 PM

Quote:
Hello

Bye.

:? Often when money not a problem, the way you spend it can be; especially overclocking for someone else who presumably can not monitor the OC-ed system. Be careful with your choices.
April 5, 2007 9:33:36 PM

That is stupid. What he wants to do can be done well with a $300 emachine.

What is the difference? The e6600 OC'd $1000 machine will power though viruses and spyware until it gets so bad that the owner must reformat.

Heck 1ghz machine w/o crapware will do everything fast.
At work, people are given new Dell workstations 690s for web browsing... thats about what you are doing and ... yes... its wasting his money.
April 5, 2007 9:39:01 PM

Quote:

What is the difference? The e6600 OC'd $1000 machine will power though viruses and spyware until it gets so bad that the owner must reformat.

At work, people are given new Dell workstations 690s for web browsing... thats about what you are doing and ... yes... its wasting his money.

Well... next time when you are in my situation, you tell your friend to get a crappy 300 $ emachine.
April 5, 2007 9:40:56 PM

Seems his mind was made up before. Too bad. I think the friend would have been pleasantly suprised by 2 monitors or a nice 22", etc.
April 5, 2007 9:45:14 PM

It sounds as though you're building the computer YOU want and not your friend.

Remember that those April price slashes are not the whole price drop scheduled for Q3. It looks as though the e6600 will drop about $80 in April.

It's up to you, he's your friend. You're the one who has to explain to him where his money went.
April 5, 2007 10:06:36 PM

Quote:
All he uses a pc is for his daily acitivites such as online banking, copying cds , dvds, and so on.

Well.. The way I see in OC'ing, this is way over kill. If your friend is building perhaps a killer gaming machine, OC'ing would be the option in that case.

But OC'ing I really don't see the benefit in doing online bills or even coping CD's. A dvd recorder can't even match HD speeds. :lol: 

I'd build the machine at stock speeds, and have a MB with good expansion for upgrades, whether its an AM2 system or C2D (that could be upgraded to quad).
April 5, 2007 10:10:53 PM

Quote:

Yes, practically, this guy is totally missing the point of being a PC enthusiast; It's not about giving someone the sexiest CPU alternative but the best overall system for his needs within his budget.
An E6600 for this person's needs is like selling him a Lamborghini for a stereo system.
April 5, 2007 10:17:46 PM

Quote:

Well... next time when you are in my situation, you tell your friend to get a crappy 300 $ emachine.

Honestly, the Gateway Emachines are really excellent. I have worked with many of them brand new over the last 2 years and the only problem is that they could use more memory, and PEBKAC.

If you dont know how to deliver a stable OS without tossing endless horsepower and memory at it, I would suggest not building a machine.

P.S. if you have a stigma against emachines (the old ones were a world of crap) All manufacturers sell a cheap version ususally utilizing the cheaper CPU, no AGP/PCI-e 16x, and 512MB memory. Unless your going to be playing 3d games (new) this should not be a problem.

HP: $300
Dell: $300
Acer: $300
Emachines: $300
----------------------
Spend an extra $40 upgrading the memory to max because that will make the most difference on these budget machines. Then spend some cash to get a nice monitor (what he will be viewing all the time and perceive it to be the value of the computer).
April 6, 2007 12:18:20 AM

I agree with most of the pack.

I know you want to build a sexyfast machine for your friend however.
I really think you friend would more get he best benefit out of a large sexy LCD monitor, an extra quiet PC and so on. Todays low end dual cores are just plain plenty fast enough for most anything. Maybe explain you don't need to spend as much today to get a good home PC.

I put together a system recently for a friend with quite the same needs. So I build a reasonable PC with a low end dual core, got him a cheapish 22" LCD and a cool looking logitech G15 keyboard. He loves the speed of the machine and raves that he loves the monitor and cool keyboard. He likes most that other people rave over his uber monitor and keyboard. I think the monitor was $350 and the keyboard was $60...and I bought those retail at best buy.
The monitor was so sweet and well priced I got one myself.
April 6, 2007 3:28:11 AM

Overclocking so he can play Free-Cell is stupid. I have a K-7 600mhz machine here with 192mb of RAM you could talk me out of cheap. It should do everything he wants. :p 
a c 118 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 6, 2007 4:15:53 AM

$1000 is a fine budget. Here's what I'd suggest though:

1. It's been said before, but forget the C2Ds and forget overclocking. Get a nice X2 3600+ Brisbane and leave it at stock. It will be PLENTY fast enough for what he's doing and a very nice, cool little chip.

2. Get 2GB of decent DDR2-800 and a decent motherboard Don't go overboard as these should cost $250-300 together.

3. Get a GPU with dual DVI outputs. Doesn't need to be all that expensive, a Radeon x1300 will work as well as an NVIDIA 8800GTX if he isn't gaming. Spend no more than $75.

4. Buy two nice 20.1" 1600x1200 LCDs and set those suckers up in dual-head mode. I suggest Samsung's SyncMaster 204B. This will cost you about $600 for the pair with the current MIRs at Newegg. I have a Dell 2001FP and one of the Samsungs in dual-head setup and it's WORTH EVERY SINGLE PENNY. The fastest CPU doesn't always give an advantage over a cheapo budget one, but a nice monitor setup always will give an advantage over a cheapo one. You're always using your monitors, aren't you, but isn't your CPU usually just sitting there at idle? Think about it :D 

5. Get a good keyboard and mouse. I highly recommend an IBM Model M or a clone for a keyboard as they are hands-down the best units I've ever used. Period. And I've used some pretty bucks-up stuff. You can get a Model M-type keyboard from Unicomp at http://www.pckeyboard.com. They are $70 but worth it. I was lucky as heck to find an original Model M from a 486 PS/2 sitting in the hall going to make the short haul to the dumpster at the end of the day. Picked that sucker up faster than the parking dweebs here will ticket cars. Stop for more than a nanosecond at a stop sign and I swear they'll ticket you for parking without paying a meter, hell with the fact that you're in your car and it's still in gear...

6. Ample HDD space is always good.