Reliable and affordable Wireless Network Solution

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
I would like to let you people know that I lack knowledge on Networks so please not too much jargon. I know about PCs and other stuff its just I overlook networks considerably!

First of all I live in the UK and I am buying my stuff from www.overclockers.co.uk so please no american prices or brands which are not avalible to me. With all that crap out of the way I can begin!

I am about to get a 2mbit Broadband Internet Connection from Telewest (a cable internet provider) and I have two PCs in the house. Both of the PCs will be running Windows XP Professional but one of them is currently running Windows Me. I need an AFFORDABLE and RELIABLE solution which will allow me to:

- Share my cable 2mbit broadband connection around the house between two or more PCs wirelessly.
- Network two or more PCs wirelessly, so that every member of the family can log on their own user accounts and access their files and settings on all computers
- Share printers, scanners and other hardware across the network.
- Connect an existing wired network PC to the wireless network router

Which brand is the best for any types of Networking?

About my current PC Setup:

None of my PCs is equipped with a Network Port. I use my pcs for playing lots of demanding games like GTA Vice City, Doom III, Call of Duty, Battlefield 1942. I also listen to lots of MP3s and do lots of video editing. I will be building a new computer from Shuttle with an included Wireless network antenna so I need a solution which will allow me to allow the new PC to join the wireless network.

Thank you for your time

Just cos I am a semi skinhead it does not mean that I am a semi PC Guru. I am 25% PC Guru, 15% Thug and 10% Alcoholic!!!

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Sorry if my question was phrased badly, I forgot to ask what types of equipment will I need to be able to get this setup up and running. I need the CHEAPEST solution but it needs to be reasoanbly reliable. Lastly how drastic will the overall system speed decrease be, if any?

Refer to my orignal post for details.

The PC Guru knows all except combination to the safe! Check out my PC Guru website @ www.geocities.com/marshahu_cr - It's still under development

riser

Illustrious
you'll need a wireless router. The brands mentioned in the 2nd post are top notch SOHO brands available most places. You can't go wrong there.
Each computer will need a wireless network adapter to connect in to your router. You can mix/match these cards depending on pricing, but I would recommend buying the same brand card as the router you pick out.
For your setup you won't see too much difference in the products performance wide, any of those will work fine.

I can't quote you the cheapest because I haven't checked out the website you mentioned and because the hardware will only vary by a $10-$15 dollars/euros.

You have the option of A, B, and G wireless routers.
B is extremely common, G is working on becoming the mainstream. A is very expensive and hard to find.
Check the pricing, if you can afford G, do it. If you can't, go with B.
G is the fast, like 54Mbps or something. B is 22Mbps (?) I think, A is around 72Mbps. Again, the A devices aren't easy to come by currently.
G is currently in the works to be put into a "super G" spectrum which also allows for you to upgrade your firmware to gain that ability. Your best buy is the G because it will be upgradable in the future. Your cheaper "now" solution would be B probably.

Riser

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Thank you for your help - now I at least can find myself a decent router - what shoudl my budget be for the cheapest but reasonably reliable solution based on my requirements. (refer to my original post)

Also how will i distribute my Broadband connection around the network - do I just plug the cable from my cable broadband modem into my router instead directly into my PC's network card/port.

Can I allow a Motherboard with either a wired or wireless network adaptor to join the network I have set up and how would I usually go about doing this.

Thank you guys once again

The PC Guru knows all except combination to the safe! Check out my PC Guru website @ www.geocities.com/marshahu_cr - It's still under development

TRENDING THREADS