Windows 7 upgrade disks

chengbin

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
For people that brought computers with Vista but promised a Windows 7 upgrade, did you get a OEM disk, or you got a retail one with a serial number?

I'm curious because I want to upgrade my desktop (Vista HP x64) to Windows 7 instead of my laptop. Is that possible?

Solution
Computers purchased with the coupon for the free copy of 7 received upgrade media. Technically you can upgrade any system (but only one system since you only have one upgrade license) since the coupon does provide a legally licensed version of Windows.

Edit: You're only supposed to upgrade the PC that you got the upgrade coupon with, but there is technically nothing stopping you from using it on any other computer.
Computers purchased with the coupon for the free copy of 7 received upgrade media. Technically you can upgrade any system (but only one system since you only have one upgrade license) since the coupon does provide a legally licensed version of Windows.

Edit: You're only supposed to upgrade the PC that you got the upgrade coupon with, but there is technically nothing stopping you from using it on any other computer.

Solution