First Build, Budget Dual Core (AMD)

Hey all this will be my first build and ive put alot of effort into finding the best parts for my money. Im on a $600 budget max but i need $100 of that for the OS (Windows xp home). Ill primarily be using this computer for BF2, CoD2, Dark Ages of Camelot, ITunes, and basic internet use. If i do overclock later down the road ill be sure to grab a better Heatsink/fan. Id really appreciate what you think. Thanks.

Case Quality $30
www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811147056

Powersupply (480w, 36A) $50
www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817128005

Processor Combo w/Rainbow6 Vegas for free ;D $65
www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819103036

Heatsink/Fan $10
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835186010

Motherboard Great Reviews, Excellant OC'er $80
www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813128321

Video Card $130
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814102022

Memory $70
www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820161029

Harddrive $52
www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822144415

Drive Quality $20
www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827101131

Shipping $30

Total: $507 (w/o OS)

I was wandering if the mobo i selected has any voltage requirements for memory like its LGA775 counterpart.
8 answers Last reply
More about first build budget dual core
  1. The great thing about custom builds is that EVERYTHING is upgradeble. If you decide you want a better motherboard later you just transfer everything over to the new board. or replace the Video Card, or upgrade the CPU.
  2. not a bad start for a budget build. there are a couple things i would change.
    i would go with a different video card. the performance on the 1650 you chose is going to be hindered somewhat by the GDDR2 memory. I would recommend the evga 7600gt for right around the same price but will give you much better performance and let you play more modern games with out too much difficulty.

i would also change the mobo. the nforce 4 platform is somewhat outdated and doesn't really have alot of headroom for OCing. This ASUS M2N-E will give you a lot more headroom for future OCing and provide you with a more up to date chipset. It is about $12 dollars more than your gigabyte but i would say its worth it.
    Other than that you have a good setup. If you make just those two changes it will make you a lot happier. Let me know if you have any more questions.
  3. Thanks for the advice, I think i will change the videocard to the 7600gt based on your feedback. Keep it coming!
  4. Quote:
    not a bad start for a budget build. there are a couple things i would change.
    i would go with a different video card. the performance on the 1650 you chose is going to be hindered somewhat by the GDDR2 memory. I would recommend the evga 7600gt for right around the same price but will give you much better performance and let you play more modern games with out too much difficulty.

i would also change the mobo. the nforce 4 platform is somewhat outdated and doesn't really have alot of headroom for OCing. This ASUS M2N-E will give you a lot more headroom for future OCing and provide you with a more up to date chipset. It is about $12 dollars more than your gigabyte but i would say its worth it.
    Other than that you have a good setup. If you make just those two changes it will make you a lot happier. Let me know if you have any more questions.

The X1650XT has GDDR3 and it edges out the 7600GT in most benchmarks

VGA charts

Although for $130, you could get the X1900GT which would blow away both cards

X1900GT
  5. If you can wait till monday to order, I heard AMD is cutting their prices again.
  6. ^^thanks for the reminder, i heard of that to and i was going to wait till monday since they wont be shipping over easter.
  7. Looks good. Difinately go for the X1900GT. For $130 it beats the 7600GT and the X1650XT.

And a note, BF2 runs best with 2 gigs of RAM. I have a x1950pro and a Pentium D 945, and with 1GB of RAM, high settings stuttered and was unplayable. I upgraded to 2GB and I can play with everything maxed out. Just sayin....
  8. I am thinking of using that Asus M2 mb as well, my only concern is will an 8800 fit on that board? Hadn't thought of that before, but I notice in looking at the 8800 from BFg the requirements say you need some free pci slots because the card is so honking big it takes up the space of 2 pci slots plus you need another open one to insure room for cooling.

I may not be going with an 8800 right off the bat, but it is definitely something I'll get eventually.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Build Systems Product