Having Trouble Powering Up my Homebuilt

Will89

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
I have currently built my first computer with the help of another person who knows what he is doing.

After we assembled everything we switched on the power supply and the LED on the motherboard lit up like it was supposed to.

When we press the power button on the case, the CPU fan, two case fans, PSU fan, and case fan's LEDs all start spinning and lighting up for half a second and then stoped. The Motherboard LED was still on.

We press the startup button on the case again and nothing happened.

It is only when we turned the power supply off then on and then pressed the startup button that this momentary flicker occured again.

I had somebody else who has considerable knowledge in this field help me reconnect all the PSU wires and the same thing happened.

The components I am using are:

OCZ GameXStream 700 Watt ATX
Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD 64 X2 5200+
Biostar GeForce 7900GS 256MB
RAM: Corsair XMS2 2GB

Has anybody had this problem before and can offer me advice?

Anybody know what the main problem is?

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I have currently built my first computer with the help of another person who knows what he is doing.

After we assembled everything we switched on the power supply and the LED on the motherboard lit up like it was supposed to.

When we press the power button on the case, the CPU fan, two case fans, PSU fan, and case fan's LEDs all start spinning and lighting up for half a second and then stoped. The Motherboard LED was still on.

We press the startup button on the case again and nothing happened.

It is only when we turned the power supply off then on and then pressed the startup button that this momentary flicker occured again.

I had somebody else who has considerable knowledge in this field help me reconnect all the PSU wires and the same thing happened.

The components I am using are:

OCZ GameXStream 700 Watt ATX
Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD 64 X2 5200+

Has anybody had this problem before and can offer me advice?

Anybody know what the main problem is?

What RAM do you have? Which video card? The problem could be a number of things. The MB could be shorted out to the case. You might try reseating the Video card. Try one DIMM of RAM in slot one. Also reset the CMOS jumper. Make sure the 4 pin 12v connector is connected from the PSU to the MB. HTH.

Mondoman

Splendid
In general, it's probably best to "bench test" things in this situation: remove everything from the case, install the CPU, CPU cooler, 1 stick RAM, and video card on the MB (sitting on a non-conductive surface). Then, connect the power supply 20+4, 4 pin ATX12V, and any additional power cable needed for the MB or video card. Test-start the system by briefly shorting the two power switch pins on the MB's front panel header (e.g. by using a screwdriver blade). If that works, start adding back items. If not, at least you've simplified the situation.

One easy possibility is that if you are not using an OEM CPU cooler, or don't have it plugged into the CPUFAN header, the BIOS may think the CPU cooler fan is not working properly, and so not allow the PC to turn on (in order to protect the CPU from melting down).

TRENDING THREADS