Sign in with
Your question

Download to different partitions

Last response: in Windows XP
June 20, 2006 5:39:24 AM

hi all..
i have bought a new hard disk and make 3 partitions- C, D ,E drive
my C drive only has 10gb and now i want to make downloads and install all to D drive.. i try to move the whole programe files from C to D but fail as some files are either running or not moveable...

is there anyway to make download and installing all default to D drive?
thanx for any help :) 

More about : download partitions

June 20, 2006 5:38:25 PM

you said you made c d and e partitions. What is the os installed on?
Some files are used while windows is running. You wont be able to copy or move those while windows is running.
You would be best to uninstall the programs and reinstall them using d as the install drive. You can change the drive during the program install process.
June 21, 2006 9:18:02 AM

Quote:
Some files are used while windows is running. You wont be able to copy or move those while windows is running.
You would be best to uninstall the programs and reinstall them using d as the install drive. You can change the drive during the program install process.

i install my os in c drive.
i plan to use c drive for os installing and d drive for all other applications like games, pics, etc.
so do u mean i have to uninstall very single application in the programme file in c drive and then install again every thing in d drive?
is there a method to make default installing to d drive so that i not need to change the install location from c to d everytime i install softwares?
anyway, thx for replying :) 
Related resources
June 22, 2006 1:26:33 PM

You can leave whats installed on c. Just install any new software on D. Now if you want to move the program from c to d then yes you will need to uninstall it and then reinstall on d.

I dont know of anyway to change the default drive letter for installs.
September 12, 2006 7:48:45 PM

Just install the new application/software on D drive when it asks for the specific drive. You can set aside the OS in C itself and use the D drive for other applications.
September 14, 2006 11:09:54 PM

When you install most programs the default Drive will be the one your OS is on (C drive) so if you want to install the program on the D drive, you'll have to chose Custon Install during the installation.

10GB doesn't seem very big for the OS, at least if it's Windows may want to increase it.
December 13, 2006 7:07:32 PM

Quote:

i install my os in c drive.
i plan to use c drive for os installing and d drive for all other applications like games, pics, etc.
so do u mean i have to uninstall very single application in the programme file in c drive and then install again every thing in d drive?
is there a method to make default installing to d drive so that i not need to change the install location from c to d everytime i install softwares?
anyway, thx for replying :) 

i am a total noob but i can tell you one thing of value

once a program is installed anywhere you need to uninstall it to move it anywhere

this is because the files you see in say the "program files" file are not all there is to the using the program --- you must also consider the registry
December 30, 2006 1:43:52 PM

you will first need to save all your files from "D"

then use acronis true image to clone your "C" drive to your "D" drive.

now your whole c drive is copied to d.

now add the files you copied from d earlier back to d.

however your D now is your new C ;) 

but its best to keep your OS drive seperate from your files and etc ;) 
!