Jelloz

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
This is my 1st time building my own PC. I need some guides. I need to do it before my school starts again. First here is my build list.

CPU: C2D 6300
Graphics: 8800GTS
PSU: Enermax coolergiant 600W
RAM: 2GB Value rams
Motherboatd: Gigabyte 965P DS3
HDD: WD Caviar 500GB

Now the thing i need is how to start building my own PC? 1st i have to assemble the parts right? Inserting the CPU into the socket and then the GC to the pci-e slot. After assembling everything do i need to set anything like master or slave setting? Or can i just start my computer straight and access the BIOS to install the operating system?

Installation of GC drivers and so on should be the last thing right?

You have it about right. Before you install the OS, go into the BIOS and set the boot sequence so it reads from the CD/DVD drive. Once the OS is installed, you can continue to install device drivers. OS is always first, after that it shouldn't really matter.

tomdrum

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Make sure all is connected right. Theres a bit more than just the cpu and gc, like mking sure the heatsink is all good with enough thermal paste and the all the front panel and audio cables are connected properly. Other than making sure everything is connected properly then the above post is the next step.

Jelloz

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
What about jumper settings at the motherboard? Or do they only exist in older boards and cease to exist now?

So i wanna confirm before going to purchase the hardwares.

1st i need to assemble them all properly. Then i test "on" the pc and check if the heatsink fan on the HSF and the VGA cooler is working. I don't need to touch anything at the motherboard right? Then after everythings okay i can install the OS?

Thanks alot guys. :)

akhilles

Splendid
http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

How I build is different & more like the RMA. I build the barebone on a cardboard. I put them in the case only when I know they're working. If something doesn't work, I waste no time to remove it from the case & take it back to the dealer.

You must set up the boot order in Gigabyte C2D mobos to read:

FLOPPY
CD
HARDDISK

Or your windows cd won't boot.

Jelloz

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007

How I build is different & more like the RMA. I build the barebone on a cardboard. I put them in the case only when I know they're working. If something doesn't work, I waste no time to remove it from the case & take it back to the dealer.

FLOPPY
CD
HARDDISK

Since windows vista would boot from the CDROM i should set it to be 1st in line right?

Is the steps to build a computer (particularly setting CMOS, partition HDD) almost the same in every motherboard?

Anyway thanks alot for the link. :)

OldGoat

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
What about jumper settings at the motherboard? Or do they only exist in older boards and cease to exist now?

The motherboard should come with a manual and driver CD, read the manual to see if there are any setting that may pertain to your components. It has been a long time since I build from scratch so just take your time and check all of your connections.

Good luck :wink:

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
Please correct me if I'm wrong but with SATA drives there are no jumpers, the first hard drive has to be put into the 1st Sata connector on the mainboard.

Jelloz

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
Please correct me if I'm wrong but with SATA drives there are no jumpers, the first hard drive has to be put into the 1st Sata connector on the mainboard.
Ya there isn't jumpers in SATA drives.

How about CMOS jumper located at the MB? How do they look like? Do i need to meddle with the CMOS jumper to build a computer?

According to http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/ the main steps of getting started with a new computer is

Assembling the hardwares.

Checking the fans on HSF, PSU, VGA

Setting CMOS to boot from CDROM

Installing CDROM drivers

Partition, format, install the OS

They didn't mention anything about meddling with the physical part of the motherboard or any jumper.

New hard drive doesn't need to be formatted/partitioned manually right since it will be done with the Windows Vista installation DVD?

How if my DVDROM doesn't get recognise by the system before installing OS? How to install the DVDROM driver if the OS is not even installed?

akhilles

Splendid

FLOPPY
CD
HARDDISK

Since windows vista would boot from the CDROM i should set it to be 1st in line right?

Is the steps to build a computer (particularly setting CMOS, partition HDD) almost the same in every motherboard?

Anyway thanks alot for the link. :)

Reason for Floppy 1st being that you might boot up a rescue floppy to repair windows or bios. Some mobos have the feature to fix corrupt bios from either floppy or cd. Gigabyte & MSI are examples.