Windows Vista - A Resource Hungry Monster!!?

Goldie

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
First hello all from a THG Forum n00b!!

Secondly, I installed MS Windows Vista Beta 2 last night. First thoughts were a resonable install, nice interface and seems quite useable.

Discovered all my devices with no issues and seem relatively easy to navigate and use.

I have 2 main grips:

1) Constently asking for permission to run pratically everything system based (control panel, network centre, etc) will get on a lot of peoples nerves (can this be turned off?) and may scare the hell out of some of the users I know!!

2) Resource-tastic!! 810 Mb RAM used just from startup (haven't even loaded Office 2007 and AV etc etc yet!!). CPU constantly jumping around the 50 - 100 % mark - even causes the CPU fan to kick in a lot more than XP! Hard disk activity seems to be massive as well.. I know things like the image / video previews etc need a lot of HD pounding to be generated, but still!!

My PC is not sluggish:

AMD 3.7 Ghz
2 Gb RAM
ATI X1300 512 Mb
250 Gb SATA HD

But I was finding a song being played in Media Centre SKIPPING/JITTERING while playing because of "other" things happening!

Don't think this is normal, but I'm interested if anyone else has noticed or seen this with their Vista setup?

Cheers

Simon

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
First hello all from a THG Forum n00b!!

2) Resource-tastic!! 810 Mb RAM used just from startup

HOLY MOLY!! I thought my 500+ meg of ram used on startup was excessive. Just a question, is that x64 or x86 that you are using?

But I was finding a song being played in Media Centre SKIPPING/JITTERING while playing because of "other" things happening!

Don't think this is normal, but I'm interested if anyone else has noticed or seen this with their Vista setup?

Haven't tried to listen to anything yet, but have found that I was totally unable to use Windows Media Center on my setup. Just caused a black screen, and I was barely able to get everything running again before needing to restart.

I can only hope that this isn't the case with the final versions of this software.

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
vista is a resource hungry monster but so was xp wen that first come out.
the high cpu usage is probly thanx to it being beta. i had the same problem with xp64 beta.
it has also gone mad on security i hear not alowing illegal software? is this true?