Question About Service Pack 2 update for XP

cutter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
On Microsoft's website it said that the SP2 update will download automatically if you have auto update turned on (which I do). However, it still hasn't downloaded yet.
I really want the SP2 update because I think I need the security updates (windows firewall, etc)

Also, in my 'add/remove programs' there are a bunch of "Windows XP Hotfix (SP1)" items as well as one titled "Windows XP Hotfix (SP2)". But I don't think that means I have Service Pack 2.

Any ideas?

cutter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
Thanks! Actually you may be right. The firewall is installed. But I remember there being a tab for it when you go to 'control panel > system'.

Perhaps a later auto-update will bring this with it.

the entry in the add/remove programs list you mentioned does not mean you have service pack 2 installed. Right click My Computer, select Properties. If you see the following in that window:

Microsoft Windows XP
(edition)
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Then you have SP2. If the last line says Service Pack 1, or is blank, then you do not. If you do not have it, the full version of SP2 can be downloaded here

cutter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
That link you gave is for the "IT Professionals and Developers" version of the Service Pack 2. Can I install that and get the same results as the regular version of SP2?