Strange problem connecting new computer to DSL

CountDooku

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
Ok, I have been trying for two days to get this up but to no avail. The person has DSL and I placed a router on it to connect a second computer. The modem only handles one connection, so they purchased a Linksys router. I connected their first computer, and it works no problem. I ran the cable from the 2nd pc to the router and I keep getting this "limited or no connectivity" message. The PC is sending out data, but not getting back any. So I tried a 2nd cable. Same thing. I have a hard time believing that 2 cables are bad. I tried a network card in the 2nd pc (it has intigrated) and still the same thing. I don't have a cable tester to test the cables, but I am sure one of them HAS to be good. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

G

Please post the IP addresses of the 1st PC when it's connected to the DSL modem and then to the router. Are you power cycling the modem when you change connections?

Grumpy

CountDooku

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
The router is giving the first pc an ip address. The 2nd pc doesn't even seem to be connecting to get an ip address. It doesn't get any data back after sending some out. No firewalls are in place that would be a problem. I am cisco certified, so this should be easy for me. I think I need a cable tester, as that is the most logical problem.

Lambox

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009

Hi. I know this is a fairly old thread, but I am having the same problem you described and am wondering how you fixed your problem? I appreciate your help.

Chris