1 GB ram
PNY Geforce 6600 256
Audigy sound blaster 4
CD RW
DVD RW
40 GB WD HD (came with computer)
160 GB WD
450 w power supply

I decided to replace 40 gb with 160, I changed the cable settings, both on cable select, had many problems with install. I made a 100 GB and a 60 GB partition

Fist tried to install copy of XP PRO, was not recognizing boot sector at first, then finally loaded, but subsequent loads did not recognize boot sector.

I reloaded recovery disk that came with dell and all loaded fine.

It now takes about five minutes for the window's screen to load and there are only a few programs on my new install... Firefox and AVG..

I guess my question in all of this is, when i want to install windows fresh on a dell computer, is there anything special I need to do, or can I just install the cd..

It actually seems a simple process, but not sure if I need to do any other step..

partitioned 40 and 120 gb, formatting the 40 full.

started at 8pm EST and it is now 630 am EST and only at 86 percent

i have cable select on the drive and have it at the end connector on the ribbon.

i now remenber a few months back i tryed to defrag the 160 when it was only for storage, and it ran all night and only was 25% done

Any ideas...

stom

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2005
Not sure about the rest, but maybe try setting the drives to be master/slave depending on how you want them, instead of using CS on all of them.

TRENDING THREADS