Board "cleaner" that helps with temperatures...

Travisty2012

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
I remember reading an article a long time ago about putting together a high end computer system. One of the things it felt was most important, that other guides left out, was cleaning the boards. It talked about how touching the parts with your hands will leave oil on the different boards causing hot spots. Now, I clean my heat sinks and try not to touch anything, but it might be a good idea to clean everything as the final step...

It was basically a aerosol spray on can and they used those big puffy duster things and ran it over the board to wipe it off...

I have no idea what it was called. I have no idea where to find this article again. Has anyone heard of this?

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
When PCB's are populated, they are boiled to clear off solder surplus, grease, fingermarks etc.

You need to dismantle what you can, boil your boards in unsalted water for 7 to 8 hrs, air dry naturally, then reassemble using rubber gloves and anti-static wrist strap :)

Travisty2012

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
When PCB's are populated, they are boiled to clear off solder surplus, grease, fingermarks etc.

You need to dismantle what you can, boil your boards in unsalted water for 7 to 8 hrs, air dry naturally, then reassemble using rubber gloves and anti-static wrist strap :)

Forgive me if I don't boil my boards and I continue to look for this other cleaner... 8O

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I have never heard of boiling a board but a few years ago I did actually take my motherboard and run it under the sink. Using a bowl of mild dish soap and a toothbrush I cleaned a couple years of buildup off the board and then re-rinsed it. used the wifes hair dryer to dry. Let it sit overnight to make sure it was completely dry and rebuilt the machine. Worked for 2 more years.

The boards are basically made up of fiberglass and epoxy resin. Most components are like ceramic and plastic. About the only component I would worry about is if water seeped into an eletrolytic cap or something taht would not redily allow the water to evaporate. Other than that, water really wont hurt anything.

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
a few years ago I did actually take my motherboard and run it under the sink. Using a bowl of mild dish soap and a toothbrush I cleaned a couple years of buildup off the board and then re-rinsed it. used the wifes hair dryer to dry. Let it sit overnight to make sure it was completely dry and rebuilt the machine. Worked for 2 more years.

This is what I was trying to say - maybe I didn't express it too well! Mild dish soap, plenty of rinsing is good. A hairdryer is good if you are in a hurry, but it may blow dust onto the cleaned board. Boiling water and leaving to dry like putting dishes in a rack is the right answer! :D

Dear Blefuscu, we are not crazy. This is what happens when circuit boards are manufactured. I worked in the industry remember! 8)

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Plus most all boards after being populated have a conformal coating on it to keep it from any type of mold or corrosion. Basic waterproofing. Not sure about mainboards but most any type of electronic devices have this conformal coating just to protect the unit against humidity. I imagine motherboards do as well.