New2Linux, dual core

Volcar

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I recently added a couple more hard drives to my system and tried installing Red Hate (the For x86_64) i have a AMD64 X2 3800+ and it gets a black screen after everything has installed. I am thinking it might happen because i have 2 cores. Or would the reason be that i have 2 6800GS in SLI and it doesnt pick up SLI?

Is there any version of linux that i should try besides red hat?

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I can say with complete confidence it's not due to the fact that you have a dual-core chip. It is, however, quite likely due to the SLI setup. I don't know of any distros that are going to be able to handle that right out of the box.

What you will need to do: drop out to the command line after booting (try CTRL+ALT+F1) where you should get a login prompt. get ready for some command-line fun...

First, login as root. If you don't remember the password you entered during installation for the admin/root account, you are likely going to need to reinstall. You can try to login with your user account and try resetting the root password but it's not likely to let you do that without the root password, but give it a go: "sudo passwd" then enter in the password carefully, twice)

Next, get the NVidia drivers.
Code:
//check the network connection first
ping -c4 www.google.com
//if we have network connection (i.e.the pings were replied to) dowload
wget [url=http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/1.0-8762/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8762-pkg2.run]http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/1.0-8762/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8762-pkg2.run[/url]

Once you've gotten that, run the installer[code]./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8762-pkg2.run
If that fails, please get the error messages back to me.

If things have gone well so far, now we need to tell Linux to use the new drivers.
Code:
//Make sure the nvidia module's running
lsmod
//if there's no "nvidia" module, run 'modprobe nvidia' without the quotes
//now, we must edit a file to tell linux to use the new driver
pico -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Code:
//Inside xorg.conf
//hit CTRL+w to search for text inside the file, type "module"
Section "Module"
  Load    "some module"
//add this if it's missing
  Load    "glx"
//comment out these lines if they exist (# will comment them out)
# Load    "dri"
# Load    "GLcore"
//next, find (CTRL+w) the video driver "nv"
Section "Device"
  SomeName  "SomeValue"
//the current file should have a driver 'Driver   "nv"', change that to
  Driver          "nvidia"
  OtherName   "otherValue"
//you can tweak this are later after you have a working system

Once that is done, try to start up the video subsystem with
Code:
gdm
If you see graphics, congrats!

if things are still bad, please do the following:

login as root

insert a USB drive

type in "dmesg", make note of some line like
Code:
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
, make a note that the drive is sda in this case.

Type in "df" to see if there are any listing in that that correspond to "/dev/sdX", where sdX corresponds to what you saw previously (i.e. sda)
-if so, make note of the directory where it is at (like "/media/usb") and "cd /media/usb"
-if not, "mkdir -p /media/usb && mount -t vfat /dev/sdX /media/usb && cd /media/usb"

"cp /var/log/Xorg* . && cp /etx/X11/xorg.conf ."

"umount /media/usb"

take the usb drive to a working PC

PM me the files.

Good luck

linux_0

Splendid
I can say with complete confidence it's not due to the fact that you have a dual-core chip. It is, however, quite likely due to the SLI setup. I don't know of any distros that are going to be able to handle that right out of the box.

What you will need to do: drop out to the command line after booting (try CTRL+ALT+F1) where you should get a login prompt. get ready for some command-line fun...

First, login as root. If you don't remember the password you entered during installation for the admin/root account, you are likely going to need to reinstall. You can try to login with your user account and try resetting the root password but it's not likely to let you do that without the root password, but give it a go: "sudo passwd" then enter in the password carefully, twice)

Next, get the NVidia drivers.[code:1:54663b2596]
//check the network connection first
ping -c4 www.google.com
//if we have network connection (i.e.the pings were replied to) dowload
wget ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-ia64/1.0-5336/NVIDIA-Linux-ia64-1.0-5336-pkg1.run[/code:1:54663b2596]

Once you've gotten that, run the installer[code:1:54663b2596]./NVIDIA-Linux-ia64-1.0-5336-pkg1.run[/code:1:54663b2596]
If that fails, please get the error messages back to me.

If things have gone well so far, now we need to tell Linux to use the new drivers.[code:1:54663b2596]//Make sure the nvidia module's running
lsmod
//if there's no "nvidia" module, run 'modprobe nvidia' without the quotes
//now, we must edit a file to tell linux to use the new driver
pico -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf[/code:1:54663b2596]
[code:1:54663b2596]//Inside xorg.conf
//hit CTRL+w to search for text inside the file, type "module"
Section "Module"
Load "some module"
//add this if it's missing
Load "glx"
//comment out these lines if they exist (# will comment them out)
# Load "dri"
# Load "GLcore"
//next, find (CTRL+w) the video driver "nv"
Section "Device"
SomeName "SomeValue"
//the current file should have a driver 'Driver "nv"', change that to
Driver "nvidia"
OtherName "otherValue"
//you can tweak this are later after you have a working system
...[/code:1:54663b2596]

Once that is done, try to start up the video subsystem with[code:1:54663b2596]gdm[/code:1:54663b2596]
If you see graphics, congrats!

if things are still bad, please do the following:

login as root

insert a USB drive

type in "dmesg", make note of some line like [code:1:54663b2596]Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0[/code:1:54663b2596], make a note that the drive is sda in this case.

Type in "df" to see if there are any listing in that that correspond to "/dev/sdX", where sdX corresponds to what you saw previously (i.e. sda)
-if so, make note of the directory where it is at (like "/media/usb") and "cd /media/usb"
-if not, "mkdir -p /media/usb && mount -t vfat /dev/sdX /media/usb && cd /media/usb"

"cp /var/log/Xorg* . && cp /etx/X11/xorg.conf ."

"umount /media/usb"

take the usb drive to a working PC

PM me the files.

Good luck

Great advice but I found a typo, you need the AMD64 driver not the IA64 driver.

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/1.0-8762/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8762-pkg2.run

:-D