Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Hi

This is my current setup:
Striker Extreme
E6600
Zalman 9700
eVGA 7900gs KO hdcp
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500gb (currently windows in here)
Maxtor MaxLine Pro 500Gb
Windows XP SP2 Updated w/ all until today

I have some money to spend, right now I dont know what to buy

Western Digital Raptor X 150Gb OEM
or
G.Skill 2GB 2x1Gb DDR800 2GBHZ w/ Micron Ics

Which out of this 2 options should I Buy? I know both will give a good impact of perfomance in my PC so I cant decide. I know 2Gbs are good for anything in this days but I think 4Gb would also be good. I also understand that upgrading the Harddrive would be nice since a 7200.10 cant compete with a Raptor.

I just remembered now that I wont be using 4Gbs of RAM at all if I stay in XP SP2, I would have to go to XP x64 or Vista x64 so that kinda makes me buy 2gb more less attractive.

Any opinions?

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Well, if you plan on going vista later, get 4gigs. If not, go with the raptor.

But, if you go with the raptor, wait a little. Seagate is preping to release their own 10k drive. And, even if you don't like seagate, it is bound to bring down WD's prices AND prompt them to release a better spec version.

wilcoxon

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I would honestly say neither.

4GB of RAM isn't much use unless you use 64-bit versions of XP or Vista (Vista only supports about 3GB).

The Raptor will give you a slight performance increase over the 7200.10 but not alot.

If you can, I'd suggest upgrading your graphics card to an 8800GTS 320MB (only costs around $100 more than the Raptor).

nazarioa

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Get the raptor and install your windows and your games in that little monster. If you're looking for a performance increase I'm sure the raptor will do more for you then 4GB of memory.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Well yeah Im not planning to upgrade to Vista nor XP x64 so I thought 4Gb would be a little too much.

I think Ill go for the raptor, would have liked to try 4gb of RAM anyways.

One thing that annoys me is that if I want better perfomance for the games with the raptor, I would have to install the games on the raptor and that would make the drive fill faster than anything... since its only 150Gb

darkangelism

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
I dont think either of those will give you that much of a boost, raptor will load files faster but once loaded very little if any difference, and the memory wont help much either unless you are playing a game that is a memory hog. You would get more benefit from a video card upgrade.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Wait a minute, I thought you already bought a raptor? :?

No because I told you on the msg because of family reasons.

Im going to get the Raptor no matter what, I really want to give it a try. Also, in the future I know I will have to go for 4Gb of RAM but I can wait for now.

And about the videocards, yes I know I have to upgrade, I would like a 8800GTX but they are way out of my budget. And the 8800GTS is a good one but stills a little bit away from what I have to spend.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Unequivocally RAM. Without a doubt.

Raptor X is just for show. Micron D9 RAM is for function. What's the use of a pretty drive if your rig is slower? Only inexperienced teenage boys would take flash over substance. Don't be a boy, be a man! ;)

Reminds me of when I pulled alongside 2 teenage boys in their souped-up Cavalier, complete with a whaletail and neon blue tube underneath. They thought they were pretty hot stuff until they looked sideways and saw me in the Viper. OH YEAH....their attitudes vanished pretty quickly ;)

Substance over style. They had all flash and no dash. The Viper burst their bubble in a hurry :D

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Here is one of the best prices I have seen on the Raptor drive (150 GB version).

Regular version:
http://www.microcenter.com/byos/byos_single_product_results.phtml?product_id=235236

Raptor X:
http://www.microcenter.com/byos/byos_single_product_results.phtml?product_id=235237

Hey HA_ZEE, that price is unbeatable! Im gonna buy from them I think :) The best part is that is Retail version! I love that one. Will consider it but...................

How is microcenter? Did anybody buy from them? Do they have good shipping rates? Good service? Fast shipping?

Taco, I dont know whats so bad about the gamers version, I want it because its BLACK yeah! something different and not like every other hard drive in the market and also because its gamers version, Im a gamer :)

I didnt know you were still using CRT :S I thought you had a simple LCD.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006

Raptor X is just for show. Micron D9 RAM is for function. What's the use of a pretty drive if your rig is slower? Only inexperienced teenage boys would take flash over substance. Don't be a boy, be a man! ;)

But I think the others are right, 4Gb is overkill. Even the most demanding applciations run fine with 2Gbs.

REmember, I already have a pack of G.Skill 2Gb DDR800 F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ w/ Micron D9GMH. I was just asking if adding more RAM was better but then I Noticed that they were right, 4gb is overkill and that upgrading the hard drive might be a better idea for now.

Taco, I forgot to tell you, I bought the G.Skill 2Gb DDR800 F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ w/ Micron D9GMH :) Sorry, I didnt see u in the forums hehe

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Well, slim and I are more performance guys over nice accesories, but down the road that may be something on slim's to buy list (as he gets loads more money than I do), but for now I think he's more after performance, probably buying an 8800/8900gtx or r600 would be his next purchase

Hey, I dont get loads of money, I even own my parents $50 because I needed that to buy the G.Skill memory! 8O

Now, I just got some $200 bucks to spend and they are going to the raptor after I pay my debts.

Then, comes the videocard :) I want the 8800GTX but its too expensive as I said, but that eVGA GTS 320mb looks UNBEATABLE!!!! $280 ($260 after rebates!!!!) WOW UNBEATABLE! Ill be probably getting that one :)

I made a deal with dad to change my E6600 because mines doesnt like OC so Ill be changing it soon. Im planning to try a Xeon 3060 :)

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Sweet, I never knew you finally bought a monitor, I always thought you were going to go with the sceptre you wanted, but I guess the 2ms makes the viewsonic of more value (which is why I want that 22" 2ms samsung :twisted: )

I have that monitor since I have 300 posts I think :roll:

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
When I made that Sceptre Topic, I already had this VX922 and I even said it in there. I think you are kinda lost taco.

Anyways, That deal from microcenter looks unbeatable, for real, 200 for the retail version, Im taking that home.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
If that drive comes with perpendicular tech, it will destroy the raptor in every way. But I wonder when they plan to release it. I cant wait, I dont have their time :)

WD is probably gonna get my money

echdskech

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007

But I think the others are right, 4Gb is overkill. Even the most demanding applciations run fine with 2Gbs.

REmember, I already have a pack of G.Skill 2Gb DDR800 F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ w/ Micron D9GMH. I was just asking if adding more RAM was better but then I Noticed that they were right, 4gb is overkill and that upgrading the hard drive might be a better idea for now.

Taco, I forgot to tell you, I bought the G.Skill 2Gb DDR800 F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ w/ Micron D9GMH :) Sorry, I didnt see u in the forums hehe

I just got a 73GB Raptor myself. Boot and load time differences are
noticeable even over my RAID 9, 7200 RPM setup.

That said, 4GB of RAM being overkill is _mostly_ true. I, however, found my current 2GB RAM wanting when I play Supreme Commander at > 3 players at a 1000 unit limit game. It crashes whining about it running out of memory.

Ofcourse, this is the only app I personally use that could definitely use more RAM. Dunno if our gaming preferences are the same, but if you're not into that kind of gaming a Raptor would have a more immediate noticeable effect.