am2 to am2+ bios upgrade

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Since we all know that am2+ is coming out and all the chipset manufacturers know am+ is coming out, is it possible that recent motherboards have a way to update hypertransport to 3.0 through the bios. I kinda like the 690v motherboard, but there is no way in hell i will throw away money when i would need a new mobo to support all the features of am2+ in a few months. The other choice is to buy a 680i mobo and get a core 2 quad when it hits that sweet 266 dollar mark.

Opterondo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Since we all know that am2+ is coming out and all the chipset manufacturers know am+ is coming out, is it possible that recent motherboards have a way to update hypertransport to 3.0 through the bios. I kinda like the 690v motherboard, but there is no way in hell i will throw away money when i would need a new mobo to support all the features of am2+ in a few months. The other choice is to buy a 680i mobo and get a core 2 quad when it hits that sweet 266 dollar mark.

Well buy what you want but the AM2+ desktop processors Agena Quad & Kuma Dual are susposed to be socket compatible with AM2 and the CPUs support fallback to HT 1.0.

p.s. - Core2Quad is not a "True" quad core processor; it's cache structure is the same as a two Core2Duos. The Agena will be a "True" quad core processor with 2MB L3 cache fully shared amongst all cores.

Tostino

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
Well buy what you want but the AM2+ desktop processors Agena Quad & Kuma Dual are susposed to be socket compatible with AM2 and the CPUs support fallback to HT 2.0. They have a ways to go before they saturate the bandwidth of HT 2.0.

p.s. - Core2Quad is not a "True" quad core processor; it's cache structure is the same as a two Core2Duos. The Agena will be a "True" quad core processor with 8MB L3 cache fully shared amongst all cores.
Umm, the Agena/Barcelona will only have 2MB L3 Cache from what I have read...