IDE drive questions

mokume1

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Newbie new build here,
MOBO is a Gigabyte GAM59-SLI-S5
Plan to run 2 IDE devices, Mitsumi FA404M floppy drive with media card reader and a HP DVD 940i DVD writer. Both are IDE interface units.

I have several questions here, will try to make as much sense as possible.

The floppy drive was given to me and is new, I do not have any hookup information on it, visiting the Mitsumi site turned up nothing pertinent.
It has 4 connectors on it, power, IDE interface and USB, the fourth is a 4 male pin slot right above the IDE connector. Does anyone know what this slot may be? How would I go about hooking this drive to my system? Is the USB portion just for the media reader?
I also remember reading somewhere, not sure where, that to complete the bios setup before connecting the floppy drive, concur?
The DVD writer will be the primary drive on the IDE cable(this MOBO only has 1 IDE connector). Should I set the jumper to master or cable select? Will it make a difference?
Any help/comments much appreciated :D

4745454b

Titan
Are you sure its an IDE connector? I thought those floppy/card readers used USB for the cards, but stayed with the floppy connector. Count the pins. 34 and it still uses the floppy connector, if its 40, its IDE.

I don't think it makes any difference to "complete the bios setup" before plugging in the floppy drive. If you think about, if you get everything setup properly in the bios, then hook the drive up, you'll have to go back in to make sure the floppy was setup correctly. I'd just plug the thing in, and go into the bios to make sure everything is good.

As for how it should be jumpered, thats like asking Chevy/Ford or Coke/Pepsi. There is no real right answer. I personally use Master/Slave, but thats just me. I'm sure there are others here who will be more then happy to tell you to use CS. The only thing that really matters it to pick one and stick with it. Don't use CS on the DVD drive, and Master/Slave on the second device.

mokume1

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Are you sure its an IDE connector? I thought those floppy/card readers used USB for the cards, but stayed with the floppy connector. Count the pins. 34 and it still uses the floppy connector, if its 40, its IDE.

I don't think it makes any difference to "complete the bios setup" before plugging in the floppy drive. If you think about, if you get everything setup properly in the bios, then hook the drive up, you'll have to go back in to make sure the floppy was setup correctly. I'd just plug the thing in, and go into the bios to make sure everything is good.

As for how it should be jumpered, thats like asking Chevy/Ford or Coke/Pepsi. There is no real right answer. I personally use Master/Slave, but thats just me. I'm sure there are others here who will be more then happy to tell you to use CS. The only thing that really matters it to pick one and stick with it. Don't use CS on the DVD drive, and Master/Slave on the second device.

Thanks for the response, you are probably right on the connector, I will verify it tomorrow.
As for the CS/M/S thing, I will probalbly go with setting it as master.
Still don't know what the other connector is tho, (4 pin male), I'll research further, I think a saw a post in tom's hardware explaining what all the connectors are. :D