PLEASE HELP ME AS SOON AS YOU SEE THIS!

Xatticus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
now that i've got your attention, lemme state the story thus far:

My mother got an HP TC1100 Tablet PC from her job, my mom not being "tech-savvy" she told me to play around with it so that if she were to run into a problem, I would know what to do.

Normally I would install Mozilla Firefox on this computer, but seeing is how it's her school's property (she's a teacher) I cant do that. Well anyways I was browsing on IE late one night (or early morning). All of a sudden IE closes down and I get a message from Windows saying I've been infected with a virus and I need to buy this software called "Spyware Quake" to get rid of it.

I ran a Norton virus-scan and nothing picked up, so I assumed that it had to be spyware. I installed my trusty Spybot Search & Destroy (at this point I could give two shits less about her school's policy on random software on school computers. The end's justifies the means here when I'm trying to save my ass) It picked up several items, but nothing that looked like it was related to this "Spyware Quake".

I ran regedit in the Run window and dug through the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE files to see if there was any registry key relating to this piece of software. I ran a Google search and it was suggested I run "Spyware Doctor" it claimed to have removed it but the "Windows-like" pop-up still appears. What I'm still trying to figure out is that the website I was visiting, I have gone to almost 30,000 times (no exageration there) and nothing has ever happened. And how come the firewall didn't pickup on this either?

The school year is coming to a close and I don't know whether my mom has to return the Tablet to the school or not. If the school sees that there is a virus/spyware/malware/trojan on there they will freak out and maybe even fire her. I don't want my mom to get fired for something I did. PLEASE HELP!

Little

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004
I find BitDefender 9 program is good but specific for spyware crap which would seem to be what you have you might shop around a little.
It is posible the notification is the spyware althought I have not actualy heard of this name.

Kaspersky I think has a free on line scan but I am not sure if it actually removes what it finds, mybe some one can post if they know.
From memory I think(think) that Kaspersky on line scan was fairly good in a scan I done some months back.
Also Microsoft had a free online service that was pretty good but not sure
if that free scan trial period is still available.

There is a downloaded component so you can use these online services,
do your homework, make sure it scans and removes.
You can always uninstall the extra component after.

SOME FREE ON LINE VIRUS SCAN SERVICES (read notes at end of urls)

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html (FULL FUNCTION VIRUS ETC REMOVAL)

http://www.pandasoftware.com (Google Search- Panda free activescan (Free scan has limmited function))

http://www.trendmicro.com/hc_intro/default.asp (I think this only identifies but story says diferent?)

As I say do homework, this maybe no good to you.
Someone with luck (your luck) would of had your problem or no of it and post you some help.
My advice- Put the complete exact notification words in a google search and if you get no result slowly shorten the full notification and re-enter search.
Good luck.

Little

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Sorry Dmroeder

I hit the skateboard link and thought this was were you were directing
So I pay for being an ediot as I wrote for nothing, may help someone?
Good link you give and mate should be right now.
Mybe teach me to look more next time-sorry mate.

Download the trial version of Ewido... that will get rid of SpywareQuake. I had another HP computer with the same problem... somehow, after reading this, I don't think it's a coincidence...

Xatticus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
ok, something very odd hapened. I ran Spybot again about a few hours after posting this. It picked up that SpywareQuake was on my computer but only one file was on the computer. Well I wrote down the directory, clicked remove problems. It said it removed it, and when I typed in the directory. Nothing was there (Windows said it couldn't find the directory). So I think i may have solved this problem