Sign in with
Your question

FC5 get stuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
June 23, 2006 1:27:19 PM

I got FC5 installed on my mAchine.
but it get stuck minutes after starting work on FC5. I have to reboot again and again :cry: 
why it happen sso?

More about : fc5 stuck

June 24, 2006 4:42:18 AM

Quote:
I got FC5 installed on my mAchine.
but it get stuck minutes after starting work on FC5. I have to reboot again and again :cry: 
why it happen sso?

We need more details about what is happening to suggest possible solutions.

How is it getting stuck? Does the keyboard respond? Do Num lock, caps lock or scroll lock work? Does the mouse respond? What happens if you hit the power button once?

Have you tried to ssh into the machine using another computer?

Tried ALT+CTRL+BACKSPACE or ALT+CTRL+F1 - F6 ?

Now here's some generic advice:

Linux almost never crashes unless there is a hardware or compatibility problem.

If possible burn memtest86 onto CD and run it overnight ( 8 - 12 hours ).

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/memtest86-ISO-b...

or use a memtest86 bootable image with grub to test your RAM.
June 24, 2006 10:17:50 AM

I have tried all those things but FC5 will be simply DUmb and do not respond for any of those keystrokes.

you have talked about hardware or compatbility . is that allabout problem with RAM or any other devise?
Related resources
June 24, 2006 12:07:43 PM

Quote:
I have tried all those things but FC5 will be simply DUmb and do not respond for any of those keystrokes.

you have talked about hardware or compatbility . is that allabout problem with RAM or any other devise?

You should run memtest86 for 8-12 hours and check your logs for errors.

Does the mouse also freeze?

Can you ssh into the machine? Can you ping it?
June 25, 2006 2:21:25 PM

The keyboard failing to respond sounds like X puking to me, follow linux_0's advice and eliminate the possibility of bad memory with an extended memory test and, upon success, try to ssh onto the machine (if you have another machine to test with), otherwise another option is to boot into single-user mode to check the various logs to see if something obvious went awry:
[code:1:4a512202c4]//Computer booting, when it is at the Grub boot screen, press any key
//select the FC entry from the grub menu and, intead of "enter" press
e //prompts GRUB to let you edit the configuration
//select the line starting with "kernel /vmlinuz...." and press
e //edit this line
//at the end, add
single [enter] //tells FC to boot into single user mode
b//boots this line
//allow for normal bootup, wait for prompt[/code:1:4a512202c4]
What would be useful for us to help solve the problem would be the output of,among other things, this command[code:1:4a512202c4]//find out the name of the last log with
ls -l /var/log/ //look for the entry Xorg.(something) that is most recent
//Assuming Xorg.log.0 is latest
cat /var/log/Xorg.log.0|grep -E /(EE/|WW/)[/code:1:4a512202c4]
Some other files to look at for problems would be the /var/log/messages log, but there's not any one good way to filter this one to see any obvious problems, but just read it to see if there's something obviously bad[code:1:4a512202c4]less /var/log/messages[/code:1:4a512202c4]

Anyway, hope this helps.
June 25, 2006 2:26:50 PM

Quote:
The keyboard failing to respond sounds like X puking to me, follow linux_0's advice and eliminate the possibility of bad memory with an extended memory test and, upon success, try to ssh onto the machine (if you have another machine to test with), otherwise another option is to boot into single-user mode to check the various logs to see if something obvious went awry:
[code:1:288702f6ea]//Computer booting, when it is at the Grub boot screen, press any key
//select the FC entry from the grub menu and, intead of "enter" press
e //prompts GRUB to let you edit the configuration
//select the line starting with "kernel /vmlinuz...." and press
e //edit this line
//at the end, add
single [enter] //tells FC to boot into single user mode
b//boots this line
//allow for normal bootup, wait for prompt[/code:1:288702f6ea]
What would be useful for us to help solve the problem would be the output of,among other things, this command[code:1:288702f6ea]//find out the name of the last log with
ls -l /var/log/ //look for the entry Xorg.(something) that is most recent
//Assuming Xorg.log.0 is latest
cat /var/log/Xorg.log.0|grep -E /(EE/|WW/)[/code:1:288702f6ea]
Some other files to look at for problems would be the /var/log/messages log, but there's not any one good way to filter this one to see any obvious problems, but just read it to see if there's something obviously bad[code:1:288702f6ea]less /var/log/messages[/code:1:288702f6ea]

Anyway, hope this helps.

Great advice as always :-D

I would also suggest doing:

[code:1:288702f6ea]
lspci -vv
procinfo
dmesg
[/code:1:288702f6ea]

and posting or PM'ing us the results

BTW The kernel will sometimes respond to pings but if it's not ssh'able then something is wrong. Make sure iptables is off ( service iptables stop ).
June 30, 2006 7:37:35 PM

hey thanks for those pieces of advice.

it works Damn good on Text console.but the problem arises only with Xserver.
I had Red Hat 9.0 which did not trouble me at all.

even the mouse poinetr get stuck. I try out those commnads.

thanks a lot
June 30, 2006 11:22:17 PM

Quote:
hey thanks for those pieces of advice.

it works Damn good on Text console.but the problem arises only with Xserver.
I had Red Hat 9.0 which did not trouble me at all.

even the mouse poinetr get stuck. I try out those commnads.

thanks a lot

Did you get a chance to run memtest?

[code:1:a66812950d]
cd /var/log

more messages

more $log_file_name
[/code:1:a66812950d]

To view your logs. You can also grep them ( man grep )

replace $log_file_name with an appropriate file name for the log you want to look at.

"Xorg.0.log" for example

[code:1:a66812950d]
cd /var/log

more Xorg.0.log
[/code:1:a66812950d]
July 1, 2006 9:12:22 AM

what is the Exact reason for this problem?

is it with the RAM ?I have 2 512MB RAM. or with Exteneded memory which is 2.5Gb.

because if the problem is with RAM I COULD replace it.

Quote:
WHat exactly the memset probes for? is it bad memory in RAM or in extended memory?

Quote:
by the way I have installed onle DEFAULT PACKAGES along with SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT TOOLS.
that allllllll

please let me know.
July 1, 2006 9:56:03 AM

Quote:
what is the Exact reason for this problem?

is it with the RAM ?I have 2 512MB RAM. or with Exteneded memory which is 2.5Gb.

because if the problem is with RAM I COULD replace it.

WHat exactly the memset probes for? is it bad memory in RAM or in extended memory?

Quote:
by the way I have installed onle DEFAULT PACKAGES along with SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT TOOLS.
that allllllll

please let me know.

Your RAM may be bad you have to run memtest to check.

You may also want to install the nVidia driver and have a friend of yours with high speed internet download the FC5 updates repository and burn it onto CDs or a DVD so you can update all the packages.

Last time I checked the updates were about 2GB that includes intermediate updates.
July 1, 2006 11:17:46 AM

dont I get them in FC5 CD's?

would be easy for me to install then.
by the way I tried YUM as you told and tried to install "Hexaware " or some thing like that under root.

when I tried to confirm the installation and ran the command "YUM list installed" it DID NOT DISPLAY THE file which I installed.
but the file is present under root and is GREEN in color.
July 1, 2006 12:20:07 PM

Quote:
dont I get them in FC5 CD's?

would be easy for me to install then.
by the way I tried YUM as you told and tried to install "Hexaware " or some thing like that under root.

when I tried to confirm the installation and ran the command "YUM list installed" it DID NOT DISPLAY THE file which I installed.
but the file is present under root and is GREEN in color.

The updates are not on the FC5 CDs. They have to be downloaded online.

They are about 2GB all together.

The correct command is:

[code:1:2d71992d7c]
yum list installed

man yum # for more info
[/code:1:2d71992d7c]
October 2, 2008 9:03:13 AM

Hi ,

I just downloaded ISO image of Memtest86 from

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html
to create a bootable CD-ROM. now all I have to do is Boot the machine from CD-ROM and just let it run for 8-12 hrs! is it?
is the Memtest image I downloaded reliable?

what I have to check out after the memtest? do I have to look into some files created by it?

by the way what does [code:1:2d71992d7c] mean? :pt1cable: 
October 2, 2008 4:26:14 PM

memtest doen't create any files, it shows the results on your screen.

If you get errors like that you need to get new RAM

[code:1:2d71992d7c] is forum code, that was a
tag

GL :) 
October 3, 2008 2:05:05 AM

Hah! No sooner than I mention old school versions of Fedora, this thread wakes up from the dead! I guess I'd better not mention any dead dictators lest they reanimate in the same fashion and terrorize us all again!

-Zorak
October 3, 2008 10:24:47 AM

I hear if you mention Wussy or ActionMan three times in sucsession... [/showing my age]
October 8, 2008 1:42:41 AM

I haven't heard those names in ages. Such attitude. Such drama. Forums will be the downfall of society if the US government doesn't beat it to the destruction.
October 8, 2008 5:39:31 PM

For clever people they were very thick at times. Still at least they had some fire in them. I'd rather deal with a world full of passionate people than people that just sit there without any input.
October 12, 2008 3:58:50 PM

Yeah, well.... uhhh... but, you see.... well.... I got nothin' :) 
!