Diff Wallpaper Per Dual Monitor, screenshot included

sh1ft3d

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2004
Posted this in video section:

I run dual monitor at work, which is actually consisting a laptop (secondary) and a 19" LCD monitor as primary. Is there a way to have different wallpaper on each? There's gotta be a way, but I don't think you can using built-in Windows stuff... maybe there's a prog out there that would let you? Right now if you apply a wallpaper, applies to both screens.....

example:
Screenshot Example

The left screenshot is 1280x800 and right is 1280x1024, which is why there is black space on top left.

CHEEZball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Right click your desktop, then select Properties.

Locate the Desktop Tab and click On it.

At The bottom of the Desktop Tab Select the Customize Desktop Button

Now in the Desktop Items window that just poped up go to the Web Tab.

Click the New Button on the right of the window and select your second wallpapers location.

select ok, then select Ok again on the Web Window and Apply on the Desktop Window. now your pic should be on your main screen.

Drag the Image over to the other Screen, and select Cover Desktop at the top left of the image.

Right click and select Arrange By and "Lock web items on desktop." Now you can select a standard desktop for your primary display and use the web object to cover the standard desktop image on your second desktop with the image of your choice.

:)

CHEEZball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
That I don't know... played around a bit... could just turn off the icons when not in use heheh ;) right click, arrange icons, show desktop icons... can toggle it on and off.. will be less cluttered too!

but ya.. dunno

sh1ft3d

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2004
Thanks for the help... I know there's gotta be some utility out there that allows for actually applying wallpaper to separate monitors versus 'tricking the system' by using a webpage as background for the other monitors. I didn't know about this before though so do 'preciate it. I swear I had a graphics card that came with software at some point that allowed it. You'd think XP would have something like that built in... if it detects that you have multiple monitors, then allow applying a wallpaper individually to each one... ah well, anyway...

TGIF!!!

sh1ft3d

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2004
Wanted to let you know I broke down and got UltraMon, and let me say... definitely worth the money (think it was $20). Seamlessly integrated into Windows, and has a bunch of other features beyond just multiple wallpaper across multiple monitors management.

Screenshot:

Suh-weeet