Bridge Dropping Connection

Red8339

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
My parents live in the country where the only way to get a decent broadband connection is wirelessly with a company called Partnership Wireless. They assign a static IP. Previously, my dad's computer simply had a USB wireless card set to the proper static IP, DNS, Gatewat and all that jazz. The important part here is any time he went to get on the internet, the USB card would make the connection and everythign was fine.

Now computers have been added so a single IP won't work. So I got a router , but it needs to receive its signal over an ethernet cord in the WAN port.

So first I got a Linksys WAP54G. But it turns out that a WAP54G will only bridge that connection with another WAP54G and since the radio on the tower is owned by Partnership I have no way of controlling what equipment is used.

Next I got a WET54G bridge. This is much less picky about what it is receiving its signal from and I got the connection running in no time.

However, the problem is that my father is a rather impatient person, and when he wants on the internet, he wants on. And fairly often this bridge is losing track of the tower and dropping the connection to the router and therefore his computers. This upsets him. It upsets him more when he the way to get it back up and running is to power cycle the bridge and router.

Note this only happens with the connection has been sitting idle for a fairly long duration.

So my question is two parts. Is there a better way to set this up? Or, is there a different bridge model that I can use that will be less likely to lose the tower after idling for a while or a bridge with some sort of feature that will every so often sync up with the tower to keep the connection active. Maybe this is a feature in the router instead?

Red8339

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
It does, but only if you select something like PPPoE as your internet connection. This connection uses a plain old static IP.