New build help please!

69bowty

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
Hi-
I've been reading the forumz here lately, I use to build quite a few systems but in the last few years have gotten away from it. I finally got to the point my old AMD 1000 was just to slow, so after doing research here I placed an order from Newegg for the componets to put a new system together. Here's what I got:

Biostar Tforce550/AMD X2 3600 Combo
2 X 1GB Kingston RAM
Arctic Alpine 64 Cooler
FSP 450 Watt PSU
EVGA 7600GS
Segate 160 GB SATA HD
RaidMax Case

I received all of the parts yester day and started assembly. Here is my probelm, I installed the CPU, cooler, ram, HD, video card, and DVD drive from my old computer. I powered on the PSU and nothing happens. I tested the power supply on my old computer and it works. I've bench tested the MB, tried different combinations of RAM installed, re-seated the CPU, still nothing. When I turn the PSU switch on the LED on the ethernet port on the MB will flash twice, that is the only thing that happens. No Fan movement, etc. I am thinking that I got a bad MB, but I am open for any help or ideas anyone can provide. Thanks in advance.

Ty

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Check the power cables first...take them out, put them back in. Make sure the power connector is properly in. Make sure you didnt cross the power wire and the reset button for your case or they might be in the wrong way (positive in negative and stuff).

You might not have enough power. I think the graphics card you have---7600 might require something with at least 500w. Check the box.

My small opinion, you should have at least 500w and a reputable PSU like Thermaltake, Altec ect. Something as important as a PSU I would get it from a reputable PSU manufacturer. Is this a gaming machine? Do you have another PSU, if so hook it up and see if anything happens.
If these are new parts then I wouldnt mix old parts with new parts also.

rickpcnerd

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Possible Cause

.You might forgot to connect the 4 Power pin connector into motherboard, many people forgets to connect this

.your memory sticks are not inserted all the way in.

.You memory are not compatible with motherboard. And why Biostar? should gone with a better motherboard.

.Video card might require more power, or is not compatible.

Check for your motherboard model and check for compatibility.
The last time i had this problem, what i did, i reseted cmos by unpluging power supply power plug, then removed motherboard battery for 30 secs, then replace battery back to motherboard, then plug power supply power plug cable, then turn on pc.

Over all it seem u dont have enough power. Go with a 500 or 550 power supply.

69bowty

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
I chose the components based on several posts on here for a low budget computer. Not doing any hardcore gaming, etc. just wanted something faster than what I had. All componets I am using are new, only old componet was DVD drive and I removed it. I have both the 20 pin and the 4 pin connectors in the motherboard(MB has a 24 pin connector, but everything I have read says it shouldn't matter). Have tried this both in the case and on the bench. Tried every combination of ram/video/cpu/hsf plug in and out of the mb. When I turn the psu on nothing happens, no beeps, the fan on the psu doesn't turn, just nothing. When I just plug the new psu into my old computer as soon as I turn the switch on, the fan in the psu momentarily turns on and I can even boot the old computer with the new psu so it seems to be working ok. That's why I'm leaning towards a bad MB but I'm still open to suggestions.

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
You might not have enough power. I think the graphics card you have---7600 might require something with at least 500w. Check the box.

haha that was good :)
7600GS with at least 500w of power.Nice.

brett_monkey

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Your PS is not the prob. I have a 350watt FSP that runs my system perfect. I know it may sound like a noob troubleshooting question but have you gone through the Biostar manual troubleshooting questions? Sometimes we tend to miss the easiest things. Have you tried booting with nothing but the motherboard hooked up to the power and just running to the BIOS?

69bowty

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
I went Biostar's troubleshooting guide on thier website. I've tried everything from a bare motherboard on up and when I turn the psu on there is no response. At a minimum the fan in the psu should come on for a second or so when it is turned on. I've got an RMA for the motherboard to go back to Newegg. Thanks for all the help.

TRENDING THREADS