Add and remove missing programs

April 11, 2005 9:37:22 PM

Trying to use "Add or Remove" programs in XP sp2 but the majority of the
installed programs do not appear at all, (I get varying numbers according to
how I view i.e. By name, by size etc) Is there an easy way to refresh this?
Thanks in advance, Tinny
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 12:04:28 AM

Just because Windows XP has the Add or Remove Programs feature it doesn't
mean your application will appear in the list.

Do the programs end at particular letter in the alphabet? A maybe? If so,
you may have a huge white space, scroll down in Add or Remove Programs to
see if this is the problem.

If it is...

Courtesy of Kelly
Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Add or Remove - White Space
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws

[[This is generally due to the DisplayIcon having a negative number. From
here you can either remove the negative number or remove the last
application listed:
Start/Run/Regedit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{} ]]

AutoCad Fix
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autocadaddre...

Autodesk Land Desktop 3 Fix
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autodesk-lan...

===

I have AutoCAD LT 2000i. The white space in Add or Remove Programs usually
shows up after the AutoCAD LT 2000i listing. If you want to tweak the
registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0065-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\aclt.exe,-1

Notice the aclt.exe,-1?? You can change it to read aclt.exe,1

Or you can run one of the fixes. I have both autocadaddremovefix.zip &
autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip. They both include icons.
autocadaddremovefix.vbs is the one that works for me. It's easier to use
the fix than changing the -1.

I get the white space in Add or Remove Programs every time that I add or
remove a program. It isn't always AutoCAD LT that has the white space after
it, sometimes it's another program. At any rate, one of the fixes will
work. Until the next time. ;-)

autocadaddremovefix.vbs adds an autocad.ico icon to the %systemroot%\web
folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value Data: %systemroot%\web\autocad.ico

autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.vbs adds an acad.ico icon to the
%systemroot%\web folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0138-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value Data: %systemroot%\web\acad.ico
-----
***
From snowman...
AutoCAD 2002 is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
-----
***
From anonymous poster...

One application causes the problem for me. I just removed the reference to
that program in regedit and the black spot dissapeared.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:mBy6e.20652$kr.8668@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net,
Tinny <martin.penney@NOSPAMntlworld.com> hunted and pecked:
> Trying to use "Add or Remove" programs in XP sp2 but the majority of the
> installed programs do not appear at all, (I get varying numbers according
> to how I view i.e. By name, by size etc) Is there an easy way to refresh
> this? Thanks in advance, Tinny
April 12, 2005 10:30:12 AM

Just the trick,
Thanks a lot, Tinny
> [...]
> AutoCAD 2002 is
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
> {5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
> -----
> ***
> From anonymous poster...
>
> One application causes the problem for me. I just removed the reference
> that program in regedit and the black spot dissapeared.
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:mBy6e.20652$kr.8668@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net,
> Tinny <martin.penney@NOSPAMntlworld.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Trying to use "Add or Remove" programs in XP sp2 but the majority of the
>> installed programs do not appear at all, (I get varying numbers according
>> to how I view i.e. By name, by size etc) Is there an easy way to refresh

April 12, 2005 9:33:43 PM

Tinny

Keep having fun! :-)

--