watersmart

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Yea, yea.... why mess around with win98..

Well, I wanted to make a dual booting win98 and winxp. Already decided to install win98 first, then winxp - because a lot of site recommend it.

Well, I installed win98 but everytime it loads, it takes about 20 minutes(!!!!) to load. Not making sense at all. I even reduce the partition where win98 is installed to 5 gig and still no difference.

Something I missed? I tried looking for clues in the net but no luck..
SATA drive fault perhaps?

My PC spec:

Athlon 64 3500
MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum
Maxtor 250 Gig SATA HD
1 GB memory

Thanks..

Watersmart!

Exactly... why mess around with an OS nearing it's 10th anniversary on brand new hardware...

But anyhow, yes SATA could be part of the issue. I think SATA support on 98 is spotty, at best, and downright non-existant at worst. You could see if there are any 98 drivers for your SATA controller, but you just might be disappointed.

It's anyone's best guess at whether or not new hardware will continue to have 9x drivers. Even newer software is being designed around 2K/XP only. If you're lucky to find 98 drivers for your SATA controller, go for it... otherwise it will be an exercise in futility.

watersmart

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Thank Zoron for the reply...

Yeah, it IS my SATA drive. When I typed the posting, I wrote the sentence based on a hunch :idea: . I looked it up at the net and found out tons of cases of people having trouble with Win98 on SATA. Most of them cannot even complete installation. I was luckier (actually installation takes a long time because it has to boot inside windows - windows is running for the first time stuff - and that took my pc 20 minutes ---most people would think their pc crashed)

Not just that, the drivers for my MOBO does not even support win98. I was missing drivers on mem controller, pci bus controller, all that weird stuff (I believe 5 pci controllers had :!: mark on 'em)

Bleh, I figured I'll just use my crappy laptop back to service again :wink:
GO Pentium III 800!!!!

To people wanting to do the same stuff:
1. Definately use an IDE drive. Don't know if EIDE ATA 133 still works.
2. Make sure you have complete drivers. My pitfall is on my Mobo drivers.
3. If you insist on SATA, you need to get drivers from the SATA controller but this step I did not try because I need my PC up and running quick again.

Next project (lol, more failures comin up..):
booting up from removable drive.....hohoho, specially from USB2.0 flash drive..
this one i'll research first though... :eek:

Watersmart!